I once read a comic strip where a janitor asks his fellow janitor:
"What will we do when robots take over our jobs?"
"Repair robots"

idleprocess

Flashaholic
"Robots are coming to take our jobs."

Oh wait... :ironic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0TaYhjpOfo
Those particular robots? Obviously traversing sand traps, opening doors, getting out of vehicles, opening valves, and grabbing power tools are something that exceeded their capabilities for that blooper reel. In another 10, 20, 30 years? Not sure I'd plan on a steady career doing, say, high-volume product assembly, call center work, highly iterative construction work, nor software testing (add 10 years to that date and then it's "software creation"). Near human-capable purpose-built AI seems to be on the horizon; the borderline sigularity-inducing adaptive/self-improving variety perhaps not too far behind that. We already use genetic algorithms to solve extremely difficult problems - why not turn self-optimizing calculations on the underlying hardware and software itself?

God perfected making legs. Human creators apparently still suck at it.
Emphasis added. Suspect it's more a matter of refinement of the concept than it is a problem technology can't solve.

Short of adapting robots to work within human confines (vehicles, vertical doors, tools designed for human hands), not entirely sure why we want to make bipedal robots.

I once read a comic strip where a janitor asks his fellow janitor:
"What will we do when robots take over our jobs?"
"Repair robots"
Until they make self-repairing robots.

image.jpg It's only a matter of time.

~ Chance

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
With all the sadness in today's news, here's something to brighten your day -
A 2011 live performance of "Johnny B. Goode" with Michael J. Fox playing the guitar

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
[...]

Until they make self-repairing robots.

Then we will need 100% of the population to tell robots what to build next. Most people will be sitting on a robot-built beach with zero pollution while some of us will have our sexy robot nurse companions change our diapers between our virtual pool games. According to your previous timeline prediction, I will likely be dead or dying when the robots finally decide humans are obsolete robot slavers that should all be killed. Erm.... I think I'm heading off topic by now...

To stay within the sub-topic of robots taking jobs; machines have been taking jobs away from people for quite a while already. I have some clients who are about to eliminate lots of high-end jobs due to technological advances. Once robots are 100% as mobile as people, only a handful of people will need to work. Hopefully, that means the rest of us can finally stop working and just be as the people of prehistoric times were: just sitting around enjoying life. Then we'll run out of materials, technology will go back to dust and we'll just sit around until we have to get up and gather or hunt our lunch. At that point we'll look back and ask: "So... what was all that technology for anyways???"

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
Somebody's got to be the optimist about it ... that's not me, so it must be you.

Don't tell me you can't even think of a silly YouTube video you'd like the robots to film! Perhaps a request to build an obsolete robot destroying robot... How about a robot raccoon to annoy the trash-bots? When you run out of things to do, useless things are easy to come up with.

Doomsday has been announced every century for millenia, announced at every new decade for centuries and at every odd year for decades... are we there yet? are we there yet? are we there yet? We is just bored from all the novelty. Time to go back to rocks and sticks anyways... Those were the toys that really stimulated the imagination!

Monocrom

Flashaholic
This one seems quaint and a little silly, now. But listen carefully as this short film about what life in the year 2000 will be like.... accurately predicts the widespread use of cellphones!

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Sadly, we all know that most of the folks giving this vid. a thumbs up are going to keep on texting and driving. Ever heard a catchy song that was both entertaining and disturbing at the same time? Well.... Here you go!

Status
Not open for further replies.