Introducing "Draco" - - - PART 2

Roboholic

Enlightened
I want to keep my coating.
I love my Exolion but as my old EDC it sure got scratched easy.

I love my draco Al sorry for not posting earlier.

As to stevevh I was having the same problem with the O-ring next to the glass. I finaly realized it was how I kept turning on the light on/off. I kept grabbing the end and kept rotating the wrong piece. I solved this by putting in a couple layers of teflon tape so I could not easily twist the wrong part. It solved my problem.

Any way great light just waiting for Ti version just wish I could afford the turbo head and AAA extender. Will they be available later or speak now or forever hold your peace time?

jefft

Enlightened
CroMAGnet said:
ummm... What happened to the galling of bare Ti?

You know, I was just wondering the exact same thing. I've been so happy with the _two_ Dracos that I puchased in Aluminum, I started thinking Ti might be nice..........

modamag

Flashlight Enthusiast
Galling is caused by high amount of friction. So by increasing the thread mating gap galling probability is "reduced".

As for the availability of the future Dracos, current it is not in my roadmap. Part of the reason is the shop only makes $20/hr. The owner can not live on such revenue. Remember, other than the batteries, everything else is manufactured in the US, so the overall cost is kinda high.

If I was to live in China or Argentina, the Titanium Dracos would be available for $150.

Frenchyled

Flashaholic*
Hmmm.. and now I no longer know what finish I want ;)

Tin or not Tin, Bare Ti or not ??? That is the question :ohgeez:
If someone could explain clearly the possible reason to change my mind it 'll be greatly appreciated :)

Thank you Modamag for your good words :eek:

ShortArc

Enlightened
modamag,
Good point about galling. So the tradeoff is looks (subjective) versus function.
Ok I will stick with the original coating. Sorry and thanks.

DFiorentino

Flashlight Enthusiast
modamag said:
*** Final Titanium Coating Consideration ***
Guys, we are pretty much ready for the TiCN & TiN separation. This will be the last opportunity for the members to choose their Titanium coating or lack their of.

I will probably have one of each (Ti/TiN/TiCN). Personally the one that might make it to my EDC will be the Ti bare version. After seeing the results of 300 RPM 0.001" I don't want any coating to "mask" the smooth machine finish.

I only made enough for the run (40/40), so unfortunately there is not enough to cover for people who change their mind after the plating is done.

I just wanted to confirm my interest in TiCN. :grin2:

-DF

modamag

Flashlight Enthusiast
dsc03079ei3.jpg

Finally, ALL the parts are now finished with the machining stage. The majority of deburring have been done by the shop. I will try to spend the next two nights giving these little babies a nice clean ultrasonic bath, then they're off to the polishing shop for them to do their things.

Enjoy everyone!

* Regarding the coating, there is no need to confirm your interest. You only need to post if you decides to change something, save some bandwidth :D

modamag

Flashlight Enthusiast
Guys, the polishing shop definitely took their time trying to get the #8 (mirrored) finish on our little Titanium babies. It was finished last Tuesday (11/28/2006). However, the results and attention to details shows. Can anyone of you guys tell which one is the Polished Titanium vs Chrome plated (hint chrome got serial) ;)

Of the three CPFers that I showed this too, they couldn't tell what kind of coating was the "polished" titanium :crackup: and these guys probably got over $5K worth of lights too :nana:

Anyway, now the packages are in transit to the coating shop. Early estimate is 1-3 weeks. The long lead time is due to the infrequent run of the TiCN process. I'm still praying for X-mas time frame but knowing its Holiday season here everything can stall to a near standstill. :( In any case there is only two step left (plating & engraving) till these are ready to go out.

polishedtu8.jpg

Frenchy: X-Mas is coming up all so quick. I'm still hoping for the best but realistically it will be in the January timeframe. No need for payment yet!

Frenchyled

Flashaholic*
Thank you for these informations, I appreciate it :)

And if it's not for Christmas, here in France we have the "January father" , "Le Père Janvier" in French ;) So I prefer later than never ;)

Is it a sandisk Cruzer Titanium U3 near the nice polished dracos ?

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
They're such a work of art that they may also hold the title of worlds smallest shelf queens. :)

modamag

Flashlight Enthusiast
*** Production Update ***
The TiCN & TiN coating process is now complete! Woo hoo one more step down.
The polishing really REALLY paid off. This gotta be one of the best Ti coating that I have ever seen. It have a much nicer gloss compared to my TiN from my endmill and carbide inserts. My wife was also fooled when she looked at the TiN. She thought it was gold. Luckily she didn't do the teeth test otherwise we'll get a pretty hefty dental bill.

The next (2nd to final) phase is the laser engraving. I have already packed and sent it off to them. ETA is sometime late next week.

I'm also waiting for the next batch of FluPic. I have exhausted almost all but 2 board due to the demand of the Draco-Al, most of which have been sold.

At the moment I will close all serial number reservation because I simply only produced 20 units of TiCN & TiN due to the high cost. So all new order will get a randomly assign number.

Here are some teasers, Enjoy everyone.

dsc03850ay1.jpg

Bare Ti --- TiCN --- TiN --- Chrome --- 24K Gold

dsc03858hp8.jpg

Both TiN but the Draco is much shinnier and looks like 14K gold.

kiely23+: The batteries doesn't make a significant difference in the light output. It's just last a little longer and also maintain burst current mode a little longer.

The turbo head is another thing all together. Slap on the turbo head and you get an unbelievable beam.​

Last edited: