iPhone - anyone interested?

turbodog

Flashaholic
I wouldn't have one if they gave it to me since it is a cingular exclusive.

Now if it worked on the cellular south network....

xHERO

Newly Enlightened
Ditto on the verizon. My family has had nothing but bad experience with AT&T...
IMO, the more functions they keep jamming into these things the worse they are going to be.
I just wish they made a cell phone that was a really good phone and not a platform for dubious "benefits" and "upgrades" that people don't really need.

Penguin

Enlightened
If browsing the internet is as fast as the commercials show it, yeah :) I'd be interested. 500/600 is pretty expensive, I think a 2-year contract is required when you first sign up too...

Phredd

Enlightened
When/if the iPhone gets GPS, I will probably be in the market for one.

I think it's a safe bet that 3G and GPS are top priorities for the next version. I would even guess that someone would find a way to link a bluetooth receiver with Google Maps.

I used to be a big fan of Palm, but it seems that as Microsoft keeps making their handheld OS better, Palm OS just stagnates...

No question about that. I think we were all stunned that Palm was so proud to announce the Folio, a glorified portable keyboard and display.

Phredd

Deanster

Enlightened
My thoughts exactly - My Treo 680 is in many ways a fine piece of tech, but it's at the very very edge of what PalmOS can do, and even perhaps a little beyond it. The cracks in the foundation are showing, and become increasingly evident when it's time to exchange info back and forth between applications, or from a Palm to anything other than it's home computer.

Windows Mobile has been a tough way to go for a long time - it's been really pretty terrible, but the one thing that they (and BlackBerry as well) have really done pretty well on is getting info from the corporate network (Exchange Server, outlook, etc) onto your handheld and vice versa.

iPhone is interesting - it looks like a great device, with tremendous potential, but Apple seems determined to have it only really link to its home computer - no tools (at least not announced yet) for linking to Exchange, Blackberry Server, calendar or address book servers, etc...

I think many/most buyers need it to cover both personal and some business uses - it's an awfully expensive device for college students, or people who don't need anything but personal use...

cbdudley

Enlightened
I would love to have one (I'm a Mac guy anyway), but the AT&T/Cingular exclusive is a deal killer. They are absolutely the worst service provider out there & I wouldn't recommend them to anyone.

What is really bad is that Verizon Wireless had first shot at it, but could not come to terms with Apple. Somebody blew it big time.

SoundMix

Newly Enlightened
What is really bad is that Verizon Wireless had first shot at it, but could not come to terms with Apple. Somebody blew it big time.

I applaud Verizon for not teaming with Apple. As for AT&T....horrible service, I switched. Now I have great service and spend less.

Most agree...stay away from version one anything.

eyeeatingfish

Enlightened
Im pretty sure the iphone has its own calender and adress book and you can probably update it from your computer. Not to mention it can access the web so if you had addresses saved somewhere you could still get them.

Sable

Enlightened
I'm very interested in the iPhone - but the lack of AT&Tingular where I live, coupled with the likely exorbitant prices of "unlocked" versions, should they appear, will keep me away from it for at least a while. I will be moving down to civilisation proper in a year or so - I might have to have one of these lickable OSX phones then. :)

Atomic_Chicken

Enlightened
Greetings!

Nope... I'm going to pass on the iPhone.

Commercials make it look really neat, but I already have most of the functionality with my other devices (Sony TH55 handheld and normal cellphone) and it's just not that hard to press buttons to dial a phone number, especially since 99% of my phone calls are to people on my speed-dial.

I think Apple is crazy to go with AT&T and require a 2-year contract... they'll probably get quite a few business geek-guys and gadget freaks signing up, but the majority of the population will probably say "no thanks".

Best wishes,
Bawko

Vincent

Newly Enlightened
If it is a GSM phone it will work with any GSM carrier, you may loose some functionality, but the majority of the stuff will still work. This is the same with any phone. As long as its on the same type of network.

gorn

Enlightened
I have a Nokia E61 and can't stand all the fingerprints on the screen. I can only imagine how bad it will get with the iPhone.

My thoughts exactly, but throw in a big ear print on the screen. I wouldn't mind getting one but as typical with apple it is over priced. I switched to cingular a couple of years ago from sprint. The area along the California north coast is real spotty for almost all cell companies. The best coverage there is cingular. Since that was my area I switched to them.

I have been happy with the coverage. I have not had to deal with customer service so I can't speak to that. But being a former World com cell user I know what a nightmare some companies can be.

frisco

Enlightened
AT&T and Cingular are for kids non professionals. I've been with Verizon back when it was GTE Moblenet. I've never given up my Verizon phone, but I've had the other services as second phones. Cingular and Sprint were the absolute worst. Seems if the wind blew or you drove 2 blocks off the freeway the call drops. (SF Bay Area + nation wide)

Don't get me wrong.... I'm not a Verizon cheerleader.... I hate paying that bill every month for 4 phones.

frisco

GregY

Newly Enlightened
No, I have no interest. My phone right now is just a phone, and a pretty decent one. If I decide to buy an expensive new phone, it's going to be a practical communications device, not a toy. Which means Nokia E-Series, either E70 or E90. Has to have qwerty, and I like the form factors.

gorn

Enlightened
AT&T and Cingular are for kids non professionals. I've been with Verizon back when it was GTE Moblenet. I've never given up my Verizon phone, but I've had the other services as second phones. Cingular and Sprint were the absolute worst. Seems if the wind blew or you drove 2 blocks off the freeway the call drops. (SF Bay Area + nation wide)

Don't get me wrong.... I'm not a Verizon cheerleader.... I hate paying that bill every month for 4 phones.

frisco

I'm not sure I understand your kids comment, maybe the non was meant to be not. I have never lost a call on cingular. That includes locations in Humboldt and Mendocino Counties where verizon, sprint, nextel wouldn't work at all.

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
My Blackberry Pearl is very small and fits in my left front pocket, so the size increase with the iPhone probably makes it a no-go for me. I have no prob with it being available only with Cingular/AT&T, as that is my service provide and I have always been happy with them. I do like the look of the internet browser with the iPhone, if the commercials are acccurate. The Blackberry doesn't run java, flash, etc., so the internet service is not the greatest.

cheers

frisco

Enlightened
I'm not sure I understand your kids comment, maybe the non was meant to be not. I have never lost a call on cingular. That includes locations in Humboldt and Mendocino Counties where verizon, sprint, nextel wouldn't work at all.

If you can get Cingular to work ...... Congratulations! I mean that in all honesty!

frisco

gorn

Enlightened
If you can get Cingular to work ...... Congratulations! I mean that in all honesty!

frisco

Thank you. I had the early cingular (cellular one and pacbell). They were so bad I dumped the right away. But like I said, I have never had a problem with cingular in the two year i've had them back.