Is nitecore tube enough for edc ?Or should it be a backup one???

jjp888

Newly Enlightened
Is there anyone out there who consider nitecore's tube as a reasonable edc light.I use it every day and it's kind of replaced my other edc flashlights(eo1&e05 ,they both are perfect but hate twist operation and sc52 which I don't prefer for any throwing around ).I find this so-called keychain light a perfect companion at night and is very comfortable to carry.And it's most useful feature , usb charging makes it the perfect edc for me.
Is there any body who edc this light and consider it as a very micro-edc flashlight rather than a simple backup keychain light.I think it should be called a perfect pocket friendly edc for it's features and price and size.
If any one like me replaced their edc with nitecore 's tube please share and also the reason for why it replaced your current edc.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
For about the last week the Tube has replaced my normal pocket edc, the i3s. At least for daytime carry, when I seldom need a light, it has been sufficient. Sure, the tint is nasty in comparison and it won't stand much abuse, but it's ability to hide in the bottom of your pocket and still give a decent amount of light is hard to beat. I'll try it for awhile. If I think I'll need more going out at night I'll carry more. Beware, though, I have found it activated two times already because of it banging around with keys, change, etc. in the pocket.

Geoff

jjp888

Newly Enlightened
Yes you said it right it doesn't have a good focused beam ,but can definitely be considered as an urban edc, and for more forest areas it may not be so good to walk or search with it.I usually don,t have any need for walking through forest like areas at night, for my urban life it's perfect for me.

Yes it has happened to me also(accidental activation).But it's fine as it was always at one lumen.I usually keep the switch side towards my body side of the pocket ,rather than it facing outwards.Keeping it that way has lesser chance to get it activated it in the pocket.

Stream

Enlightened
I have been carrying it as a keychain on my car keys for roughly two or three weeks. So far so good. It's a very decent light, and more than enough for most casual tasks. However, as Turtle pointed out, it is mostly ideal for EDC during the day when you are not likely to need it very often. Also, beware the button can easily be activated in your pocket. This hasn't happened to me yet, as I don't carry a lot of junk in my pocket. But considering that it turns on in low mode at only one lumen, it's unlikely to drain the battery even if this happens--that is unless you also hold it in and increase the output...

ven

Flashaholic
Imo a back up,be it on keys,in a coat,left in car etc. I used mine for a few weeks as an edc and although it was not used that much it was up to the few tasks i used it for.... Couple of accidental turn ons which was down to me pressing the tube instead of my alarm fob in the dark :laughing:

Its fine for casual use,would not rely solely on it for edc use.............after all the best light you have is the one with you:)I now use the DGQ hobi on my keys as a car key edc,my edc on me is either a d25cvn or v11r depending on coat:thumbsup:

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
First off, I love the light. I have it on my keychain now, but am reconsidering. I have found it activated a couple of times, once to the point it was dead. For that reason alone it will not be my EDC. Right now I have fauxtons on every coat and sweater as zipper pulls, and am seriously considering swapping one of them to the keychain, and putting the Tube on my most used sweater instead. That would make a kind of EDC, since I keep my apartment between 66F and 68F during the winter, and thus have my sweater on most of every day.

PS: My main EDC is still my Microstream. Just the right size and feel, and at 28 lumens bright enough. Been carrying it for years.

jjp888

Newly Enlightened
Oh I forgot to mention!!!.I love momentary function of this nitecore tube, and is quite useful to search through bags and stuffs and to quickly check your watch or alarm clock at night.I thing momentary function is a must for edc flashlight (well atleast for me).Iam thinking of sticking some GITD sticker on it,to locate it in dark.

And also the option for one click moon light is highly useful,particularly ,when I walk around my room at night.

Last edited:

G. Scott H.

Enlightened
I've been carrying one of mine in the watch/coin pocket of my jeans for about a week. No issues with accidental activation. I've been carrying it in addition to either my L2M or Z1, as a backup of sorts. I'm sure I could get by with just the Tube for 99.9% of my uses if I had to, being that I'm in an urban setting.

D6859

Enlightened
Tube is a kind of a EDC that you don't even notice you're EDC'ing. I often forget I'm carrying it since it's so small. It replaced my I2 EOS in my key chain as soon as I got it but I've been EDC'ing Thrunite TN12 also and using it when I need the light. In this case I have to consider Tube as a backup.

blah9

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Tube is probably enough for pretty much everything I'd use a light for when I am not planning on needing one, but I personally prefer to have more power at hand just in case. You never know what events may happen throughout the day.

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hang it from one of my belt loops with a mini-carabiner.
No issues with accidental turn-ons or clashing with keys or other pocket contents. Very handy, and quickly accessible when needed. Clipping to a belt loop is becoming my favorite carry for my very small lights.

C.M.S

Newly Enlightened
No issues with accidental turn-ons or clashing with keys or other pocket contents. Very handy, and quickly accessible when needed. Clipping to a belt loop is becoming my favorite carry for my very small lights.

Excellent way to EDC a light :thumbsup:

G. Scott H.

Enlightened

Excellent idea. I have a couple of small Nite Ize S-Biners lying around somewhere. I'll have to dig 'em up and try this out.

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Excellent idea. I have a couple of small Nite Ize S-Biners lying around somewhere. I'll have to dig 'em up and try this out.

I find that hanging it from one of the front belt loops allows you to use the light without having to unclip it, for some simple tasks like finding a door keyhole or lighting your path for a short way, because the light is already at waist height and at the front. Just point it forward and squeeze the button.

lampeDépêche

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like my Tube a lot! And I carry it on me all the time.

I modded mine slightly by replacing the two triangular metal loops in the back-end with a small loop of 400# Kevlar thread. The opening on the loop is about 1.5cms long. That way, I can slip it around a button on my shirt, at about sternum level, and it lies flat behind the placket. Or I use a little plastic mitten-clip to clip it to the collar of my t-shirt.

With no metal case on the battery, and the two biggest pieces of metal (the triangles) removed, it has a lower metallic signature than a wristwatch. I have found that I can go through metal detectors with no problem, as well as the scanners in airports. There's nothing illegal about it, of course, anymore than wearing your wristwatch through the detectors. But can you think of any other flashlight that will put out 45lumens with such a low metallic signature?

I like the levels. I can live with the tint (it's not great, but I can live with it). Probably the thing I like *least* about the light is the amount of side-spill that gets in my eyes. When I am working in the dark, preserving night-vision is worth dozens of lumens to me, and losing it reduces the effectiveness of any light, a lot.

In order to shield my eyes, I often hold it between my thumb and the edge of my palm, with the palm downwards. Then I can operate the button by squeezing my thumb-knuckle against the switch.

I wish it were a little throwier, and I wish there were less spill in my eyes.

So it's a great EDC. Never my only one, though--I always roll with my Zebralight H600 in a pocket.

InquisitiveInquirer

Enlightened
Remember: 2 is 1 and 1 is none. Don't just carry the tube; have another one as well. Which one is the backup or main doesn't matter.

If you like your tube more than your e05 or e01, you can donate them to me!! :) I've been wanting to get an E05 to compliment my E01. hehehe...

In all seriousness though, i think the tube is a fine edc. That said, with it being mainly plastic and not being as robust as the E01 or similar lights, i wouldn't carry just it by itself should it break on me.

dc38

Flashlight Enthusiast
On the east coast of the yoosah. In the place wher
The 2 is 1 and 1 is non philosophy is why we flashaholics can never have enough. By direct substitution, if 1=0, then 2 also =0. Hypothetically we could go to infinity and still =0. Law of association? Idr. As x approaches infinity, y is still 0.

archimedes

Flashaholic
The 2 is 1 and 1 is non philosophy is why we flashaholics can never have enough. By direct substitution, if 1=0, then 2 also =0. Hypothetically we could go to infinity and still =0. Law of association? Idr. As x approaches infinity, y is still 0.
Infinity = 1 and 1 = none ... lol ! :)

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Excellent way to EDC a light :thumbsup:

I travel through a part of my town where that would be a fashion faux pas. Mind you, if it was strobing with rainbow colours, that would be chic ..

InquisitiveInquirer

Enlightened
Infinity = 1 and 1 = none ... lol ! :)

Reminds me of this:
Women_54da55_1573950.jpg