It's here the Zebralight SC5C MK II H CRI

Cobraman502

Enlightened
It would be even sweeter if ZL offered an optional tailcap with strong magnet.
And a flanged bezel ring with a lip that covers the edge of the head.

If they offer the optional magnet tail cap, that would be epic. I have been looking for a way to add a magnet to my SC52W.

foopluto

Newly Enlightened
Can I ask which battery is being used? Simply because depending on cell, the voltage could dip more under load than others.

My cat always eats lobster :D. So my electric torches must always have the best: Eneloop and Eneloop Pro. The driver boost requires very good batteries, there are not many alternatives.

Very sorry for this inconvenience, because the SC5c II is one of the best electric torches between my Zebralight (I have only Zebralight). However I sent the SC5c back and I was refunded. I'm ready to buy it again if this "problem" is solved.

A curiosity: does the "old" SC5 have the same "problem"?

snowlover91

Flashlight Enthusiast
My cat always eats lobster :D. So my electric torches must always have the best: Eneloop and Eneloop Pro. The driver boost requires very good batteries, there are not many alternatives.Very sorry for this inconvenience, because the SC5c II is one of the best electric torches between my Zebralight (I have only Zebralight). However I sent the SC5c back and I was refunded. I'm ready to buy it again if this "problem" is solved.A curiosity: does the "old" SC5 have the same "problem"?

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had an sc52w, loved it, but gave it away when I realized the PWM-like schema was giving me headaches when I used it as a room lamp for long periods as the only light source.

I have had an sc62c for a long time. The tint is fantastic, wonderful for night photography, outdoor colors look better than they really are, saturated browns and reds. I showed it to my neighbor, and he loved it, while dissing my incans. But I could not give it up, especially because I can tell he is not mature or responsible enough for 18650s, even with a light like this that will never kill a Li-ion.

I have been eyeing the SC5c MkII since it appeared. I loved the old clip, though it is crazy tight and destroys pants... hate the new clip, even before seeing it first hand. I read about the greenish cast tint complaints. I was hoping it would come down in price a little. I just pulled the plug on it from gpknives for $58. I will brave the PWM-like effects, and be wary.

I bought 2, one for the neighbor. He is a total **** narcissist, but I nearly ruined his birthday, and he is my neighbor, and he has been decent for the last few months. My lawn guy just sprayed his side with clippings yesterday, call it karma, and the neighbor freaked out, made me laugh* all day. But the neighbor cleaned it up without more grief. Gifts are without strings attached, but I do hope he appreciates it and lightens up, no pun intended. We live in a really dark place in the sticks. I'll be pleased to not see him messing around in the dark with his dumb android phone. Non-flashaholics are so quaint.

*I am not a cruel person, schadenfreude is not my thing and I believe it is wrong, anti-Golden Rule. I like to think I am honest to a fault, but I could not be that good... every single person lies every day. Long story I won't tell, but the neighbor has been abusing me for a long time with smoke from his fires, definitely intentional, but also spraying my car with his grass clippings every time he mows, and shooting pinecones to my side and hitting my car with them... while I am in the car (I don't have lawn furniture, tailgate in the car instead). What can you do when someone does that? Nothing. As soon as you open your mouth, you sound like an idiot... so I never said anything, gotta give me that. Took me 2 years to realize he has a personality disorder, and I know exactly what it is, covert narcissism... the passive aggressiveness gives it away. He needs therapy, could be completely cured in less than 2 years just sitting down with a guy twice a month for 30 minutes, but it is the type of disorder that is rarely treated because one of the symptoms is an inability or unwillingness to recognize something is wrong, thus whole lives are spent repeating the same destructive patterns. I am really expecting no changes here.

Epilogue: neighbor refused the gift! "I am not a willing participant in this exchange." No exchange, just a gift. I have subsequently gifted it to a college buddy, who was very excited about it, and grateful.

Last edited:

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
from different batches of ano.
Model SC5c II discontinued. :(
How long before SC5c III shows up?

Attachments

• 662BBE9A-12DB-4196-8BC0-55C50BE7EFB2.jpeg
    662BBE9A-12DB-4196-8BC0-55C50BE7EFB2.jpeg
    248.3 KB · Views: 92

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
from different batches of ano.
Model SC5c II discontinued. :(
How long before SC5c III shows up?
I don't think theirs any Zebralight releases being leaked, their hasn't been any new versions since before Covid.
That's the trend for a lot of struggling companies, r&d goes down first

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
If R&D shut down, wouldn't it be far more profitable to continue replenishing stock of the models that were popular enough to sell out and suspend discontinuation of any models until R&D returns? In the time before COVID I wondered about ZL business decisions. I think if all they sold was a single model, a 5A single AA light, and never updated the model, never invested again in R&D, they'd do pretty well, better than the bleak picture you're seeing.

Bob_McBob

Newly Enlightened
The official line from Zebralight is that they won't be releasing any new models until the current global supply chain issues improve. I'm prepared to believe this since many of the major components used in current models like MCUs, voltage converters, and MOSFETs have extremely long lead times right now. They've also discontinued a bunch of the less popular SKUs due to LED availability, either because they don't want to order more (e.g. those ugly XP-L2 EasyWhites) or because XHP35 is discontinued. And the fact remains they don't really have any competition in their particular market niche, which is why their new product cycle is so long in the first place.

Both variants of the SC5 II were officially "discontinued" in May 2020, but the SC5w II was restocked as recently as December, so it's likely still being produced. The "c" version is probably gone now given the SC53 models using that LED are also properly discontinued.

I will say the SC5 II is pretty nice with alternative LEDs like 219B and 519A, though it does get a little toasty since there's no PID regulation. I would like to see 14500 support for higher output if a III version is ever released.

Connor

Enlightened
I think this (ZebraLight not releasing anything new) started way before the supply chain crisis, though.
As much as I like their lights, I'm not gonna believe anything the say anymore until they actually release new lights. It has been too long and other companies face similar problems.

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nothing but great news about ZebraLight, huh.

Well, I was surprised to see I had two different ano colors on the same model. I mean, I realize that in itself is neither out of the ordinary nor even all that notable, but I had never seen it with Zebralight on the same model. The darker shade is a close match to the SC53c I have,

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
I've always pictured ZL as being 1 or 2 guys working out of a garage or building out back. What they do, they've been doing well. I've come to accept nothing new on the horizon, use and admire the ones I have.

Change for the sake of change is not necessary a good thing.

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
The website design has just changed since last night. I liked the old website, very simple and easy to navigate. New site still simple with a little more pizazz.

I was mulling over getting an SC600w IV Plus. Now on backorder :/

Cree is no more. Sold off lighting, changed name to Wolfspeed. Will ZL ever consider Nichia? I'd pay 60% more for an SC600g (for "golden hour") with a Nichia E21A 3500K 90+ CRI that was half as bright as the Cree XHP50.2 80CRI, or just as bright with 60% of the runtime. But I don't believe it would be half as bright... but probably closer to 1700Lm. I also wish they had an "s" model, SC600s, for "sunrise/sunset," with E21A 2300K. and SC5g with Nichia 219B 3500K.

But Zebralight, beyond nearly perfecting the host, like most manufacturers, cares a lot about brightness, but unlike most, also deeply values runtime. Thought they have dipped their toes in the water of High CRI, they are still hedging with color temperature, and the driver seems to merely be tweaked between revisions. They replaced PWM with something not quite as bad, while Noctigon proved full constant current is achievable. If Noctigon hosts weren't such beasts, had models with less diameter and heft, I'd probably be less interested in Zebralight.

Last edited:

Connor

Enlightened
If Noctigon hosts weren't such beasts, had models with less diameter and heft, I'd probably be less interested in Zebralight.

You can get e.g. the Emisar D4V2 (in between ZebraLight SC64 and SC600 size) with the Noctigon 9A+FET linear driver at no additional cost, you just need to drop Hank an email. With this driver the light is *almost* fully regulated, except for like the first 15 secs on turbo. ;-)

Last edited:

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I enthusiastically approve.

I have a question. I think someone determined the SC5 series draws 5A in the brightest mode. Does anyone have a guess as to which mode draws 1A? And if so, can you think of a way to easily communicate which brightness mode that is? Thx.

edit: nevermind, I have it. @HKJ tests, std Eneloop gives 90min. at 1A, and on SC5c II @ZL, one mode has 90min. runtime, the middle H2 option, 236Lm. Except ZL probably used a Eneloop Pro for their tests, so while I think that default choice mode is closest to 1A, it draws a bit more. There might be a custom brightness that draws precisely 1A, which would be whatever custom mode provides 90mins of runtime at some stable brightness on a 1900mAh Eneloop.

Last edited: