• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

JEERS to Curator - be aware of this Thief !

Kestrel

Flashaholic
[...] he was never banned here and is still a member of this place [...]
Maybe... hopefully he's still allowed to be a member in hopes of catching him somehow? I don't know.

Please keep in mind that CPF staff makes every effort to stay out of personal transactions.

Furthermore, CPF policy has been relatively consistent over the years in regards to letting members who are suspected of fraudulent activity remain a member of the forum as long as forum rules are being followed. For example, providing the other party the option of replying to the relevant issue in-forum would probably be at least some sort of a net-benefit compared to ensuring that they are not allowed to post any information at all.

IIRC, at least once this has resulted in an eventual positive outcome, to my knowledge.

... and to paraphrase Forrest Gump, 'and that's all I've got to say about that'.

Last edited:

Nicrod

Flashaholic
i did now that before...the more i was an Idiot

Not an idiot, Just a kind trusting person. Hate seeing good people taken advantage of.
Sorry toby, Karma will come around for this thief.

was your father happy with Haiku?

Nick

A warning has been posted on Curator's visitor page. Hopefully people will conduct an internet search before doing business with him. He probably isn't using the same avatar elsewhere. FWIT

~ Chance

toby_pra

Flashaholic
I am pretty sure he is still driving here....

Never heard anything back from the UK Police Authoritys
They have another System regulating such Claims.

Here in Germany i have no Chance to start further Investigations because he
is located in the UK - that means that the illicit Act was done there

TinderBox (UK)

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some forums log the IP address of members so when they ban you, You cannot even get on the website again you are immediately kicked-out, If you can get the IP address you can find the location and internet provider he uses, I hope you get this scum-bag.

Good Luck

John.

I am pretty sure he is still driving here....

Never heard anything back from the UK Police Authoritys
They have another System regulating such Claims.

Here in Germany i have no Chance to start further Investigations because he
is located in the UK - that means that the illicit Act was done there

Sorry, Toby. Wish I was there to help. :p

~ Chance

GrizzlyAdams

Enlightened
not sure of the legal process or terms in Germany...but have an attorney draft a subpoena to Paypal for his personal information, then sue him. With $1000 on the line with maybe more victims, its worth a shot.

trstick1

Newly Enlightened
If you have the photos that the scammer send, before sending your money, there is a free website that you can upload the photos to and the website will analyse the photo if it is faked or not. It can show which part of the photo that was added to or changed. I have PayPal however it is best to use a credit card so can let them investigate the seller and get your money back.

TinderBox (UK)

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does it cost you more to send $100 via paypal as a purchase (protected) than as a gift (not protected), if so how much, If it was 10% would i as the buyer have to send $110 or does the sell only get $90 ??

John.

Bdm82

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does it cost you more to send $100 via paypal as a purchase (protected) than as a gift (not protected), if so how much, If it was 10% would i as the buyer have to send $110 or does the sell only get $90 ??

John.
It's about 4%. If you gift, the seller gets $100 and you have no recourse/protection. If you pay for a $100 purchase, the seller gets $96, paypal keeps $4, and paypal peotects/insures you. Of course paypal has time limits on claims, so often you lose your paypal recourse if the seller strings you along with broken promises and never delivers. I think it's 6 months but I haven't studied the terms in a while.

Only use gift to friend/family if you REALLY trust the person. CPF has rules against sellers asking for paypal payment as gift to protect against fraud.

It's about 4%. If you gift, the seller gets $100 and you have no recourse/protection. If you pay for a $100 purchase, the seller gets $96, paypal keeps $4, and paypal peotects/insures you. Of course paypal has time limits on claims, so often you lose your paypal recourse if the seller strings you along with broken promises and never delivers. I think it's 6 months but I haven't studied the terms in a while.

Only use gift to friend/family if you REALLY trust the person. CPF has rules against sellers asking for paypal payment as gift to protect against fraud.

If you use Friend/Family when making a purchase you are committing fraud against PayPal.

~ Chance

Cuso

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you use Friend/Family when making a purchase you are committing fraud against PayPal.

~ Chance
Paypal don't care , but yes you are violating their terms of agreement. You are circumventing the system and making a payment for tangible goods when you are claiming it's a gift. So sorry to hear this happened to you Toby, I hope you get some resolution to this mess.

Paypal don't care , but yes you are violating their terms of agreement. You are circumventing the system and making a payment for tangible goods when you are claiming it's a gift. So sorry to hear this happened to you Toby, I hope you get some resolution to this mess.

Why do you believe that PayPal doesn't care?

From PayPal's User Terms Agreement - You may not use the "send money to a friend or family member" feature in your PayPal account when you are paying for goods and services.

https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/ua/useragreement-full