Jetbeam III Military arrived!

jimmy1970

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just arrived from Southern-Lights.com. Good service.:) The light is well packaged. The aluminum of the head has a slight mark under the anodising. The emitter has a finger mark on it! :eek: Otherwise, it's a well made unit. The threads are little course but some decent lube should fix that. I was a little concerned as the instruction booklet gave no mention of any special functions other than the brightness setting.:eek:

But after following the instructions on the Southern-Lights website for the standard I.B.S torches, I realised that after testing it, it does possess strobe, locator, etc as per the pro series - the service manual must have a missprint. If you are already familiar with the UI of Jetbeams, then you wouldn't bother reading the book anyway (not me). The two modes work for me - I usually only use min and max on other torches anyway.

The emitter is well centred. The beam has slight CREE rings, with a centre hot spot someway in between my Nitecore D10 and my Dereelight DBS V2.

I'll test the throw tonight. The belt clip is not too stiff to go over a jeans pocket and should hold up well. I won't bother removing it as it feels ok in the hand and it will stop it rolling around in the truck.

The clicky has the BEST TACTILE FEEL of any torch I have used - not as noisy as a 2D Mag, feels much stronger than the clicky of the Fenix L2DQ5 - it doesn't require any more pressure than the fenix - just feels better (I can feel a rough sliding action between the plastic parts of the fenix).

The threads of the head when switching modes are quite smooth - after a quick lube - it switches to Max slightly before tightening - unlike the fenix which only goes to Turbo when the head is tight.

It feels pretty tough, should hold up well to punishment - ie dropping.

Overall, I like it. It will be my walk the dog torch - the D10 has been good in this roll but is a 'little small' to carry - big hands!

P.S. I have never received a new torch that doesn't have some manufacturing faults except my DBS V2:) - it's perfect!!:thumbsup:

Anyway,
I'll let someone who knows what they talking about the give you beam shots and battery graphs etc.

Cheers.:)

jr/

daveaust

Newly Enlightened
I received one today too and it seems like a sweet light so far. I haven't found anything I consider to be a major complaint about it yet. Well-made, nice functionality, and looks cool. Already scratched the edge of the front bezel a little bit (only took 30 minutes after I unboxed it!) but I kinda figure what these built-to-take-it lights are for. Definately looks like a keeper...

Last edited:

bgiddins

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the mini-review - I'm tossing up between one of these or the Fenix TK20. I was set on a Pro-III ST, but am disappointed with the low/med runtimes compared to the regular Pro-III. Decided that if I was going to order a light this size, I'm not likely to EDC it so I don't need the slim form factor.

Selfbuilt has indicated he's getting a Military from Jetbeam for review - can't wait to read it!

cheetokhan

Enlightened
Thanks for the mini-review - I'm tossing up between one of these or the Fenix TK20. I was set on a Pro-III ST, but am disappointed with the low/med runtimes compared to the regular Pro-III. Decided that if I was going to order a light this size, I'm not likely to EDC it so I don't need the slim form factor.

Selfbuilt has indicated he's getting a Military from Jetbeam for review - can't wait to read it!

I have a Jet Pro III ST and don't really like it:(
The beam on mine is very ringy; it has a real dark ring around the hotspot, then a bright ring around that. It's very noticeable in use. It's also not very bright compared to my other lights.
My Jet II IBS is a lot smoother and actually seems a bit brighter than the ST.
I've been spoiled by the flawless, bright, wide, beam from my EagleTac T10C. I still love the UI on my Jetbeams, but the beam quality from the EagleTac just blows them away.

fineday

Newly Enlightened
I have a Jet Pro III ST and don't really like it:(
The beam on mine is very ringy; it has a real dark ring around the hotspot, then a bright ring around that. It's very noticeable in use. It's also not very bright compared to my other lights.
My Jet II IBS is a lot smoother and actually seems a bit brighter than the ST.
I've been spoiled by the flawless, bright, wide, beam from my EagleTac T10C. I still love the UI on my Jetbeams, but the beam quality from the EagleTac just blows them away.
Light with a SMO reflector often comes with a ringly beam, while a better throwing.

And have you adjusted the brightness level by the IBS interface? Jetbeam didn't set the default max output to full, but about 80%, so you may need to enter the IBS system and choose the real max output.

cheetokhan

Enlightened
Light with a SMO reflector often comes with a ringly beam, while a better throwing.

And have you adjusted the brightness level by the IBS interface? Jetbeam didn't set the default max output to full, but about 80%, so you may need to enter the IBS system and choose the real max output.

My ST has the OP reflector. I have my levels set so A is minimum, B is somewhere between min and mid, and C is full power.

jimmy1970

Flashlight Enthusiast
DaveAust,

I wouldn't let it worry you, haven't damaged mine yet but most of my other lights have some form of damage. :oops: It's kind of a relief when a new torch receives it's first bit of damage - now you can really start to USING it!:)

The beam has a much brighter spot than I'm used to with the D10, Fenix L2dq5 etc but the side spill is good and the throw is great - not DBS V2 great but somewhere in between. The more I use this light, the more I like it! The threads are settling in nicely, it looks awesome and feels good to carry - it feels rock solid in the hand. But I suppose only time will tell for it's ultimate reliability. I must admit, this is the first Jet Beam I have bought, but it's definately not the last.

jr/

P.S. Isn't it weird how these 'tactical' lights always look huge in the promo photos, but when you take one out of the box, you wonder where the rest of it is!
The smaller size is a bonus anyway!:)

faucon

Enlightened
DaveAust,

I wouldn't let it worry you, haven't damaged mine yet but most of my other lights have some form of damage. :oops: It's kind of a relief when a new torch receives it's first bit of damage - now you can really start to USING it!:)

The beam has a much brighter spot than I'm used to with the D10, Fenix L2dq5 etc but the side spill is good and the throw is great - not DBS V2 great but somewhere in between. The more I use this light, the more I like it! The threads are settling in nicely, it looks awesome and feels good to carry - it feels rock solid in the hand. But I suppose only time will tell for it's ultimate reliability. I must admit, this is the first Jet Beam I have bought, but it's definately not the last.

jr/

P.S. Isn't it weird how these 'tactical' lights always look huge in the promo photos, but when you take one out of the box, you wonder where the rest of it is!
The smaller size is a bonus anyway!:)
I ordered mine yesterday, and based on your experience so far, I'm extremely glad I did! Looking forward to trying it out.