Jetbeam RRT-01 vs Sunwayman V11R (1xCR123A/RCR) Head-to-head Comparison Mini-Review

noboneshotdog

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Jetbeam RRT-01 vs Sunwayman V11R (1xCR123A/RCR) Head-to-head Comparison Mini-Rev

I think the RRT 01 has the edge on this one if you are in it for the sole purpose of an EDC. Its smaller, the new xml2 has much higher output as well as a lower low, it supports 18350's, and has an attached clip. Plus it has style and a protective ss bezel. For me, as an edc the RRT 01 is a TKO! :)

ragnarok164

Newly Enlightened
Re: Jetbeam RRT-01 vs Sunwayman V11R (1xCR123A/RCR) Head-to-head Comparison Mini-Rev

I think the RRT 01 has the edge on this one if you are in it for the sole purpose of an EDC. Its smaller, the new xml2 has much higher output as well as a lower low, it supports 18350's, and has an attached clip. Plus it has style and a protective ss bezel. For me, as an edc the RRT 01 is a TKO! :)

Agree!

F. Premens

Newly Enlightened

Good comparison. :thumbsup:

Trevilux

Enlightened

Great review-comparison selfbuilt, Thanks.
I have a RRT01, my only rcr123a/16340 are the Nitecore NL166 and EagleTac 16340. Do you think they are safe?, Discharge Too much amperes for them?

(I love my RRT0, but there are very ugly rings in the beam)

selfbuilt

Flashaholic

Great review-comparison selfbuilt, Thanks.
I have a RRT01, my only rcr123a/16340 are the Nitecore NL166 and EagleTac 16340. Do you think they are safe?, Discharge Too much amperes for them?)
Should be fine, but I would limit running on max on any standard ICR cell.

WilsonCQB1911

Enlightened

How do these compare to the Nitecore SRT3?

tallboybass

Newly Enlightened

Having owned the V11R, the clicky + ring makes one-handed operation almost impossible.

peterharvey73

Flashlight Enthusiast

I own: Sunwayman V10R XP-G R5, V10R Ti XP-G R5, V10R XM-L T6, RRT-01 XM-L T6 SMO, and RRT-01 XM-L2 T6 HOP.

Because of the tail end clicky, the V10R's required a more aggressive higher above the waistline overhand grip with four fingers over the top.

Furthermore, once the V10R is switched on, I could still use the V10R one handed, but I would have to flip the V10R 180 degrees to activate the magnetic control ring.

Pity the V10R couldn't use a more ergonomic tail end switch with a combined tail end rotary like the HDS EDC Rotary flashlight - then we wouldn't have to constantly flip the V10R 180 degrees.

In any case, for me - the overhand grip with four fingers over the top is too aggressive, and the reflector too deep, with a less practical narrow spill.
The V10R's have all been gifted away.

The RRT-01 XM-L2 T6 HOP is presently my favorite EDC with a nice lazy below the waist line underhand handshake grip, and a shallower reflector for a wide spill beam, and that overdriving using the IMR chemistry with 18350 capacity is great too...

Last edited:

MBentz

Enlightened

I own: Sunwayman V10R XP-G R5, V10R Ti XP-G R5, V10R XM-L T6, RRT-01 XM-L T6 SMO, and RRT-01 XM-L U2 HOP.

Because of the tail end clicky, the V10R's required a more aggressive higher above the waistline overhand grip with four fingers over the top.

Furthermore, once the V10R is switched on, I could still use the V10R one handed, but I would have to flip the V10R 180 degrees to activate the magnetic control ring.

Pity the V10R couldn't use a more ergonomic tail end switch with a combined tail end rotary like the HDS EDC Rotary flashlight - then we wouldn't have to constantly flip the V10R 180 degrees.

In any case, for me - the overhand grip with four fingers over the top is too aggressive, and the reflector too deep, with a less practical narrow spill.
The V10R's have all been gifted away.

The RRT-01 XM-L U2 HOP is presently my favorite EDC with a nice lazy below the waist line underhand handshake grip, and a shallower reflector for a wide spill beam, and that overdriving using the IMR chemistry with 18350 capacity is great too...

How big are your hands? I can manipulate the V11R in any fashion with just one hand without the need to flip it 180*.

Lighteous

Enlightened

Thanks for the comparison Selfbuilt! I have both lights and agree that they are very closely matched. What I most like about the RRT01 is that is doesn't have a switch that has to be turned on first. Some may prefer the V11R because it has a switch. However, I most appreciate the ability to immediately illuminate beginning at the lowest level and ramping to an appropriate level depending on the situation. And it can all be done wihout a clicky switch or the sound of a clicky switch. With the V11R there is always the chance that the selector ring is set for an output that is higher than desired which instantly comes on at that level when the switch is engaged. Lighting up the bedroom with a higher than desired level, even for an instant, can draw fire from my slumbering spouse, as can the sound of a switch, which is preferable to avoid. I also like the fact that I can use an 18350 in the RRT01, but that doesn't tip the scales for me like the preferred lack of a switch. The foregoing notwithstanding, I do like the V11R and I use it on occasion. Aesthetically, I think the V11R is much more appealing. Nevertheless, the RRT01 is my favorite of the two, and my favorite light over all others.

MBentz

Enlightened

With the V11R there is always the chance that the selector ring is set for an output that is higher than desired which instantly comes on at that level when the switch is engaged. Lighting up the bedroom with a higher than desired level, even for an instant, can draw fire from my slumbering spouse, as can the sound of a switch, which is preferable to avoid.

Which is why I return the ring to the lowest output once I'm done using it. And with a momentary on feature, there is no need to click. :) Different strokes for different folks!

Lighteous

Enlightened

Which is why I return the ring to the lowest output once I'm done using it. And with a momentary on feature, there is no need to click. :) Different strokes for different folks!

Oh, I know there is a method to avoid it, but the possiblity exists in the V11R and not the RRT01. I don't trust my memory to always dial it back to the the lowest setting. Don't misunderstand me, it's a fine light and I'm not giving it up. I have an irrational love for single cell CR123 lights and both of these are great ones. I just received a Nitecore SRT3 Defender with somewhat similar clicky switch / adjustment ring UI like the V11R and it's a great light. But I still prefer the RRT01 for EDC'ing.

peterharvey73

Flashlight Enthusiast

How big are your hands? I can manipulate the V11R in any fashion with just one hand without the need to flip it 180*.
My hands are average sized for 5'11". Still, we must grip the V10/11R by the looser pen/cigar hold to activate the tail end clicky, then we can rotate the V10/11R 90 degrees to activate the control ring. The RRT-01 has the advantage in this respect, because the RRT-01 is just a simple handshake grip the whole way...

Last edited:

peterharvey73

Flashlight Enthusiast

Too much work having to turn the V10/11R's magnetic ring down, prior to switching it off at the tail end clicky; I doubt that most people would use their flashlights like this. What you're trying to do here is trying to make the V10/11R do all things for everyone. You probably don't own both the V10/11R and the RRT-01 to give a neutral and unbiased view?

Last edited:

peterharvey73

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's horses for courses. The truth is that these two lights each have their own strengths and weaknesses. The V10/11R has a tail end clicky that is great for zero-amperage off [without having to loosen the head by 1/4 turn to disconnect the electrical current], it also has momentary activation, presetting the brightness level prior to activation, a choice of either a secure tactical overhand grip with four fingers over the top, or a loose pen/cigar hold, and the overhand/pen/cigar grip holds the flashlight higher above the waistline to maximise the throw. The RRT-01's have a superior casual lazy below the waistline handshake grip, no rotation or flipping of the flashlight is required to activate the control ring, it has a super low mode for use just out of bed at 3 am in the morning, it has continuous ramping from zero to maximum, and it has a wider spill beam for greater practicality, yet the RRT-01 still throws further because it is driven harder. The micro-amperage standby on the RRT-01 can be totally shut out by 1/4 turn loosening the head in storage. Interestingly, because the reflector is deeper, the V10R's spill beam is narrower, but that volume of light is compensated by a wider or more prominent corona encircling the hotspot. I also find that my three V10R's have a cooler tint than the equivalent RRT-1 XP-G R5 LOP, RRT-1 XM-L T6 SMO and RRT-01's in both XM-L T6 SMO and XM-L2 T6 HOP, which all have a more neutral tint in comparison...

Last edited:

tallboybass

Newly Enlightened
I'm 6'7" and never figured out how to turn it on and adjust the ring without some major hand work. The clicky was a major selling point until I realized it was basically a two-hander. I've got an RRT01 coming tomorrow, I'm hopeful, but it can't replace my S-10 because of the Olight's reversible clip and the ability to run on high and not get too hot. The green tint I could do without though...:)

peterharvey73

Flashlight Enthusiast
My web browser is playing up. If you want: all-black finish with no contrasting stainless steel trim in sight, secure tactical overhand grip or pen/cigar hold, high above the waistline grip to maximize throw, zero amperage standby, no need to disengage head by 1/4 turn to terminate current, a non-wobbly but stiff/viscous magnetic control ring, preselection of brightness level prior to activation of tail end clicky, momentary on, narrower spill, larger and more prominent corona, cooler tint, a true tail stand because the lanyard is attached to the "side" of the tail [rather than a wobbly tail stand because the lanyard is attached to the center end of the tail], and the option of an AA extender for a longer size and slightly larger capacity Lion 14500 battery - then get the Sunwayman V10/V11R's...

Last edited:

peterharvey73

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you want: stainless steel bezel and ss key/lanyard hole trim to contrast with the dark grey aluminium annodizing, to disengage the head by 1/4 turn in storage to kill the micro-amperage standby, a lazy handshake grip below the waistline, simple one-handed operation without having to rotate or flip the light, a lighter/less viscous but fractionally wobblier control ring, continuous ramping from zero to max brightness, a super low low for use just out of bed at 2am, a wider more practical spill, yet superior throw by virtue of being driven harder on a bigger 18350 IMR-chemistry battery, a more neutral tint, a better screwed on pocket clip [rather than an unreliable clip-on pocket clip], and the option of using a larger diameter 18350 battery for a slightly/fractionally larger capacity 18350 IMR-chemistry battery - then get the RRT-01 XM-L2 T6 HOP...

Last edited: