Jetbeam RRT-01 vs Sunwayman V11R (1xCR123A/RCR) Head-to-head Comparison Mini-Review

gunga

Flashaholic
The light engine splits just above the ring. If you can get proper grip, you can unscrew the cooling fin. Then the ring lifts off and the grease can be changed or cleaned out etc. The jetbeam is similar but you must remove the circuit or you will rip the wires out of it. They are close to impossible to replace so don't do this...

rickypanecatyl

Enlightened
Do either one of these lights have an 18650 version? Since the jetbeam will take 18350 is there an extender so you can use it with 18650?

rickypanecatyl

Enlightened
Sorry 2nd question - (I'm watching the video now) Selfbuilt you said if run on CR123's it wont have QUITE the same max brightness... are the numbers correct on the chart which show less than 1/2 the max brightness on CR123's?

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
The light engine splits just above the ring. If you can get proper grip, you can unscrew the cooling fin. Then the ring lifts off and the grease can be changed or cleaned out etc. The jetbeam is similar but you must remove the circuit or you will rip the wires out of it. They are close to impossible to replace so don't do this...
Thanks Mike!

Sorry 2nd question - (I'm watching the video now) Selfbuilt you said if run on CR123's it wont have QUITE the same max brightness... are the numbers correct on the chart which show less than 1/2 the max brightness on CR123's?
The numbers are correct for my samples, in my testing setup. The reason for the difference is that the lights are both fully regulated on CR123A, but show the common direct-drive-like pattern on RCR (at a higher initial drive rate).

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got a V11R in June, to replace a broken V10R that couldn't be repaired. BJ took care of me on their dime and sent me my V11R with the then newish XM-L U2 emitter, whereas my V10R had the XM-L T6, IIRC.

On the V11R, my ring is acceptable, but it does go in spurts from time to time...being a little bindy and then being smooth. I haven't pegged it down to one reason, but warm/cold outside, light is warm/cold, wiggle the ring upwards slightly, or downwards slightly--all of these seem to have an effect on the smoothness of the ring's rotation.

I think that early on, for a time or two, I was able to twist the head and turn the light off, but that was only a couple/few times and back in June, when things were new and stiff.

I currently run AW IMR 16340s, but I did run AW ICR 750mAh protected cells in the beginning. I think that the light does 'better' (in my mind at least) running the manganese chemistry and it quite possibly aids in the cell's longevity, but I have no empirical data on this.

I did stick a primary in there the other night and it's noticeably 'less bright,' FWIW. I have some Sanyo 840mAh 14500s, but I haven't gotten the extender yet, as it might be a lateral move, IMO--size increase vs. longer runtime.

I did install the metal Ti switch and it was gritty, although it worked fine. I removed it shortly thereafter and will retain it as an emergency fix, only.

I like smaller lights, as you can see below and I gotta hand it all of the makers who can fashion a useful tool and make it disappear in my pocket. I have girly hands for the record, so chubby fingers aren't a problem, lol.

Over TG weekend, I ordered a tan M11R, to replace my tan V10R, so while not as bright on Li-Ions as the V10/11R, it'll be neat to fiddle with and it's slightly smaller. I love that tan color and the V11R doesn't come in it, so I was a bit bummed at that--hence the M11R!

Chris

shelm

Flashlight Enthusiast
appears that SWM updated the webpage (says 570lm, XM-L2) and also officially the retail packages:

screenshot credits youtube

From this official XM-L2 update i am gonna conclude that SWM does not plan to offer a "V12R" anytime soone?

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Jetbeam RRT-01 vs Sunwayman V11R (1xCR123A/RCR) Head-to-head Comparison Mini-Rev

There is no audible inductor whine on my light, at any level.

thanks for the great review and comparisons

fwiw, a friend has an RRT01 that does have audible inductor whine on medium and higher levels.
We were also talking about taking photos of PWM and Constant Current Circuit Fluctuations. This is a photo of his RRT01:
37967614636_18ff65bcd0_b.jpg

thanks for posting the scope trace of the RRT01 also:

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Jetbeam RRT-01 vs Sunwayman V11R (1xCR123A/RCR) Head-to-head Comparison Mini-Rev

So, I bought an RRT-01 and am loving the magnetic ring.

though I can barely tell with my eyes, my phone can see the Constant Current flicker

and as with the V11R I tested previously,

the brightness level of the RRT-01 is affected by the earths magnetic field
here you see the lumens on my homebrew meter, note the clip is pointing bottom right
42540120894_44e975dd1f_b.jpg

there is about a 10% change in brightness by orienting the light with the clip facing top left
41449212970_e28718208b_b.jpg

I cannot see the difference of 10%. Given my experience with the V11r modded to N219c having a 100% change in brightness, I will not be swapping in a Nichia for the XM-L2, even though I wish the LED was not so green tinted,
29461611988_0bfa0756d3_b.jpg

and wish it was high CRI, Im just going to live with it as is.

in a way this variable adjuster ring has spoiled my other lights with fixed modes, for me. I find I use much less light when I can dial the ring, than if I had to choose between modes on my other lights. And as others have said, the low modes on the RRT-01 are lower than any other light I know of, on my meter it measures below 0.01, that even lower than an HDS.

My RRT-01 has no audible inductor whine. Note it has the short pocket clip, and orange peel reflector
42488006665_9308b79882_b.jpg

29461612358_ff3f8035d2_b.jpg

the RRT-01 selfbuilt got has a smooth reflector, and a longer pocket clip, that looks like the clip on a McGizmo PD:
42678843184_efdc595975_c.jpg

Im finding the RRT-01 to be a great EDC, it has a really throwy, spotty beam, good for different applications than some of my floodyer lights.

I also really like the pocket clip on the RRT-01, it is smooth to connect one handed, and easy to draw the light from my pocket without a struggle. This is possibly my favorite pocket clip feel. Unfortunately it is not reversible like my other lights, that I like to use as hatlamps.

There is no perfect light, each does something slightly differently than the other, and each has things it is good at and not as good at. Which is why I have more than one light, for different needs.

Last edited:

nightshade

Enlightened

Great lights, shame QC and even dimensions between runs, is all over the place. Still my EDC, just kept returning to it. Like it more than the HDS Rotary. RRT01 has just a dirt simple UI and a gnarly low. But again, QC is all over the map. I recently modded a bunch for a mostly non- flashoholic group. I like the Niteye series for spare parts and battery Lego tubes...and not much else. Video of Eye15 flicker.
https://youtu.be/J_YBBf-BhPg

Last group I released to the wild:
2ahtkl0.jpg

Hope you enjoy your RRT01 for years to come, it's still a great lumens provider.

SKV89

Enlightened

Great lights, shame QC and even dimensions between runs, is all over the place. Still my EDC, just kept returning to it. Like it more than the HDS Rotary. RRT01 has just a dirt simple UI and a gnarly low. But again, QC is all over the map. I recently modded a bunch for a mostly non- flashoholic group. I like the Niteye series for spare parts and battery Lego tubes...and not much else. Video of Eye15 flicker.
https://youtu.be/J_YBBf-BhPg

Last group I released to the wild:
2ahtkl0.jpg

Hope you enjoy your RRT01 for years to come, it's still a great lumens provider.

Are all of these lights here magnetic rotary brightness controlled lights? Can you name them from left to right? Thanks!

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast

Are all of these lights here magnetic rotary brightness controlled lights? Can you name them from left to right? Thanks!

yes they are all magnetic rotary
I do not know what the one on the left is, it resembles a Niteye 15, but the tail and body is not the same, possibly a Lego with something, not sure what.

the light on the far right is a Niteye 10. Niteye 10 and Niteye 15 are magnetic rotary, but have iirc 11 added detents in the ring, it is not continuously smooth ramping. (fwiw, HDS is also not continuously smooth, it uses 24 steps, each 1.5x brighter)

from left #2 is the Jetbeam RRT-01 with the McGizmo clip clone, those have a smooth reflector, and totally smooth ramping, that I absolutely Love!
#3 is the RRT-01 I have, it has the shorter clip, and an Orange Peel reflector, also with smooth ramping

#4 and #5 are Titanium versions of the Jetbeam RRT-01, the Jetbeam TCR1, these are smooth ramping like the RRT-01, and no tail switch.

There is also a Titanium version of the V11R, called Sunwayman V10R Ti(tail clicky and smooth dial)

Some people like that Sunwayman versions with a tail switch have no parasitic drain, and can use "memory". iow, with the Sunwayman, including the V11R and V11R Ti, you can set the dial to a brightness you like, and then switch on and off at that same level. (if the dial has not accidentally been moved)

The RRT-01 and Niteye 10 and Niteye 15 do not have tailswitches. The lights turn off by ramping all the way down. There is parasitic drain. The Sunwayman models have no parasitic drain once you click the tail switch off. The Sunwayman lowest level is not as low as the RRT-01 which goes to 0.015. Ive read that the Sunwayman low is 1 lumen, but I have not confirmed that.

The Niteye, Sunwayman and Jetbeam use Cool White XM-L2 leds (earlier models had XM-L). I tried a V11R that was modded to 3000k N219c. I loved the tint, but the Vf of the LED screwed up the ramping so that the light would drift more after letting go of the dial than with the stock LED. I do not therefore, recommend swapping LEDs.

Here is the sunwayman drift with an N219c 3000k.. It changes to almost 100% brighter based on which way it it facing, basically it responds with excessive sensitivity to the earths magnetic field, IF you swap the LED.

I tested my RRT-01 the same way and its brightness only changed about 10% when changing which way it is facing.. pics of that in post#10.

fwiw, most people, myself included, cannot detect a change of 10% brightness, it takes a change of at least 50% be be slightly noticeable. I do not think you will have a problem with the V11R drifting if you dont swap the LED. I prefer the simplicity of the RRT-01, just turn the dial. With the V11R you have to click the tail, then change grip and turn the control ring.

another difference is that the RRT-01 is 18350 compatible, the V11R with an AA extender can be AA compatible.
When using 16340 in the RRT-01, there is room for a cash stash (and prevents battery rattle):
42884137554_cdbbd3f1c0_h.jpg

and fwiw, the Oveready 18350 battery carrier also fits a cash stash, and will prevent rattling:
43224234961_da443dd1ae_h.jpg

Last edited:

xevious

Flashlight Enthusiast

I thought I remembered reading about how the V11R body is compatible with the RRT-01. I haven't been able to find a current source for the body alone. There is an AA extender, but I'm not sure if it's compatible with the RRT-01 if the V11R tube isn't used.

EDIT: Thanks to nightshade -- sorry for the misinformation, as I didn't remember correctly.

Last edited:

nightshade

Enlightened

The V11R body unfortunately does not fit the RRT01. By design the RRT01 accepts the larger diameter 18350 cell, which the V11R does not. In 2014 there was a German machinist who made a very limited number of reducing adapters for the V11R to RRT01, less than 2 dozen were made, IIRC. With due diligence you can find the various adapters available for the RRT01, there is a 18650 Crelant that was a very definite body fit and also the Jetbeam TCR10 AA titanium adapter was another that was a direct fit for the RRT 01 , TCR1, Niteye. The Niteye series offered 18650, 2-AA bodies as well, that fit the RRT01. CPF has strict rules regarding links to other flashlight forums, and sales sources that don't advertise here. There is a decent bit of info from European sources on the web.

xevious

Flashlight Enthusiast

The V11R body unfortunately does not fit the RRT01. By design the RRT01 accepts the larger diameter 18350 cell, which the V11R does not. In 2014 there was a German machinist who made a very limited number of reducing adapters for the V11R to RRT01, less than 2 dozen were made, IIRC. With due diligence you can find the various adapters available for the RRT01, there is a 18650 Crelant that was a very definite body fit and also the Jetbeam TCR10 AA titanium adapter was another that was a direct fit for the RRT 01 , TCR1, Niteye. The Niteye series offered 18650, 2-AA bodies as well, that fit the RRT01. CPF has strict rules regarding links to other flashlight forums, and sales sources that don't advertise here. There is a decent bit of info from European sources on the web.
Thanks! I appreciate the correction and good to know about the alternatives. Very good to know about the TCR10 AA adapter--will have to look that up. Yeah, an 18650 body would probably be too much for a light such as this. Part of what makes it work is the form factor. I don't have any 18350 cells handy, but will have to get a few (have a couple Astrolux S43's coming).