Jetbeam RRT-01 vs Sunwayman V11R (1xCR123A/RCR) Head-to-head Comparison Mini-Review

tallboybass

Newly Enlightened
Well summarized Mr. Harvey. I got my slightly used RRT01 today and couldn't be happier with it! The ring is much less wobbly than I had anticipated, without as much 'no light' space on the first part of the control ring travel as Selfbuilt's. I bought an AW IMR 18350 for it, it seemed to have trouble with my Solarforce 880mAh 16340s...not enough button top sticking out I think. Gotta love having control of on/off and variable intensity in one control!

MBentz

Enlightened
I'm 6'7" and never figured out how to turn it on and adjust the ring without some major hand work. The clicky was a major selling point until I realized it was basically a two-hander. I've got an RRT01 coming tomorrow, I'm hopeful, but it can't replace my S-10 because of the Olight's reversible clip and the ability to run on high and not get too hot. The green tint I could do without though...:)

While in the under the waist line hand shake hold, or whatever the hell it's called, I can turn the light on and off with my pinky finger. I do concede most people wont find that comfortable or even doable though. I hope you enjoy your new EDC. My little V11R goes everywhere with me... even to buy new SureFires. :eek:

tallboybass

Newly Enlightened
You, sir, have strong hands! I tried that with some of my other lights and could barely pull it off on some of them. I can't remember how easily the clicky works on the V11R, but it must not be a very long-travel type switch. Thanks, I am enjoying the RRT01 so far, the only thing I miss from the V11R is the slightly cooler tint and maybe the 'all-business' look, but the JB has its own 'dressed-up' look going on. ;)

noboneshotdog

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love the RRT 01 and have the newer xm l2 version. I do find that I have to keep it in lock out w a quarter twist while in my pocket or it will turn on. Are other people experiencing this problem?

peterharvey73

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have both the XM-L SMO and XM-L2 HOP versions, and the standby detent is too stiff - neither have ever accidentally switched on in my pockets. However, if you really want to kill that 50 micro-amp standby current that would last for years, then by all means, unwind the head by 1/4 turn to lock it out. Incidentally, I can't really tell the difference in brightness between the XM-L SMO and the new XM-L2 HOP versions. The HOP has a cleaner beam, but that's about it; I can't tell the extra 100 lumens in brightness. They look the same to me. It seems that the HOP may have killed off the extra 100 lumens? The new version does have a shorter pocket clip. However the new version has a slightly stiffer detent on standby, and a slightly more viscous ring. The old XM-L SMO has a slight army green tint to its anodizing, while the new XM-L2 HOP with cheaper packaging has a dark grey tint to its anodizing...

Last edited:

noboneshotdog

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have both the XM-L SMO and XM-L2 HOP versions, and the standby detent is too stiff - neither have ever accidentally switched on in my pockets. However, if you really want to kill that 50 micro-amp standby current that would last for years, then by all means, unwind the head by 1/4 turn to lock it out. Incidentally, I can't really tell the difference in brightness between the XM-L SMO and the new XM-L2 HOP versions. The HOP has a cleaner beam, but that's about it; I can't tell the extra 100 lumens in brightness. They look the same to me. It seems that the HOP may have killed off the extra 100 lumens? The new version does have a shorter pocket clip. However the new version has a slightly stiffer detent on standby, and a slightly more viscous ring. The old XM-L SMO has a slight army green tint to its anodizing, while the new XM-L2 HOP with cheaper packaging has a dark grey tint to its anodizing...

Interesting about the detent for standby, my detent isn't very stiff at all. I wish it were because the light is rather fantastic besides that.

tallboybass

Newly Enlightened
Interesting about the detent for standby, my detent isn't very stiff at all. I wish it were because the light is rather fantastic besides that.
I would call mine "just right"...haven't had it turn on by itself but easy to turn when you need light.

Seems like the RRT01 isn't as efficient as the Olight S10 with the battery...I accidentally ran my 18350 down, maybe too far, with use that wouldn't have affected the S10. Hope she don't blow! :eek:

Last edited:

peterharvey73

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, unfortunately the infinite control of brightness circuitry of the RRT-01 and V11R is not as run time efficient as the Olight S10 which only has 4 discrete steps in brightness.

If the IMR-chemistry 18350 is overdischarged, it may not charge up again? Is it still charging up again???

tallboybass

Newly Enlightened
Yes, unfortunately the infinite control of brightness circuitry of the RRT-01 and V11R is not as run time efficient as the Olight S10 which only has 4 discrete steps in brightness.

If the IMR-chemistry 18350 is overdischarged, it may not charge up again? Is it still charging up again???
It charged ok, but I ran it down to around 2 volts, need to be more careful from here on!

shelm

Flashlight Enthusiast
In the video, the retail boxes of the Sunwayman lights have stickers with Fasttech SKU's on them.

Does it mean that you ordered them from Fasttech Hongkong?

Am curious why you would do that for the video review. Your old review sample would have been equally good.

Or did the magnetic control ring loosen up on the old V11R? ;)

shelm

Flashlight Enthusiast
thanks, i am also interested in updated output bins, so i asked around.

Fasttech does not carry the v11r xm-l2 u3 (updated output bin!! with hopefully improved tint) but some other Chinese sellers do (HKE, Banggood, ..). With Black Friday coming or the pre-Xmas discounts, i'll try to grab one of the updated v11r's.

Can you tell us anything about the magnetic control ring of your original copy? Is it still as rigid, or has it loosened? Some v11r owners report about loosening rings, so maybe this had happened with your review sample too. One reason more to have gone shopping at FT lol ;)

dbleznak

Enlightened
Jetbeam RRT-01 vs Sunwayman V11R (1xCR123A/RCR) Head-to-head Comparison Mini-...

RRT0 is head and shoulders above v11. Not even close. The RRT0 fits 18350!

gunga

Flashaholic
Re: Jetbeam RRT-01 vs Sunwayman V11R (1xCR123A/RCR) Head-to-head Comparison Mini-...

Nah. I dispute that. I like the V11R for the clicky and also how it comes apart for modding etc. It's also a tiny touch slimmer. The RRT01 is better in that it has 18350 capability and the ultra low-lows.

dbleznak

Enlightened
Jetbeam RRT-01 vs Sunwayman V11R (1xCR123A/RCR) Head-to-head Comparison Mini-...

Nah. I dispute that. I like the V11R for the clicky and also how it comes apart for modding etc. It's also a tiny touch slimmer. The RRT01 is better in that it has 18350 capability and the ultra low-lows.

RRT0 has-
More tactile and smother control ring
Better clip
Better form factor
Better knurling
Better sealing and o-rings
The name "sunwayman" is lame

gunga

Flashaholic
Re: Jetbeam RRT-01 vs Sunwayman V11R (1xCR123A/RCR) Head-to-head Comparison Mini-...

Wow, you really want to debate what is better? I prefer the V11R, not saying it's better, just saying I prefer it. If you want to debate:

RRT0 has-

More tactile and smother control ring: Depends on lube. I've heard lots of people complaining about loose control rings with tons of play (feels cheap). The V11R is easier to relube once opened. An RRT01 requires you to remove the LED/Circuit to relube.

Better clip: The older long clip rubs the head and almost interferes with the control ring. The shorter new one barely holds anything. The V11R one is a bit lame because it is a clip on one that can rotate, but it's quite secure and does not rub the head.

Better form factor: It's shorter and a touch fatter. The control ring can be hard to access because it's in the middle of the body. How is this better?

Better knurling: Really? I don't think this is true. About the same.

Better sealing and O-rings: So, what makes you think this is true? Did you test it?

The name "sunwayman" is lame: Yep, no argument here.

Basically I think these arguments are kinda not relevant or not true. In any case, I am not saying the V11R is "better". I just like it a bit better. The RRT01 is great too.

Last edited:

dbleznak

Enlightened

That's a very well-thought, cohesive and articulate retort. It's nice to see the witty repartee that CPF is known for. Thank you gunga. You are right, there is no "better" rather, only personal preference. It's like choosing a wallet.

gunga

Flashaholic

No worries. Yes, there are a lot of reasons to like and dislike a light. Jetbeam is a much cooler name. :)

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Can you tell us anything about the magnetic control ring of your original copy? Is it still as rigid, or has it loosened? Some v11r owners report about loosening rings, so maybe this had happened with your review sample too.
My stock V11R may have loosened up a bit with time, it's hard to say (it was a bit looser than the newer sample I bought, but that could just be inter-sample variability).

I have EDCed the original V11R extensively, and it has performed reliably. One issue I did come across more recently was a slightly "sticky" control ring (i.e., would stop suddenly, and needed a fair amount of force to get over the "hump"). I suspect this is due to build up of debris over time, due to the regular carry. A few shots of compressed air and some teflon lube seemed to have solved this problem (although this lube has definitely contributed to loosening the ring feel a bit).

It is worth re-iterating though my RRT-01 sample had a looser control ring in stock form, right out of the box. There is obviously some variability here. :shrug:

shelm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks selfbuilt for the helpful answer, appreciated as always!

I will definitely look into acquiring the v11r now. It has been emitter-updated, and maybe they also improved the physics of the magnetic control ring rotary action. I wouldn't know where to find a clear tutorial or video which demos the maintenance and relubing (silicon grease!! is nice sticky) of the gradually loosening ring.

Well well or i simply don't use the light. All of us have a collection of lights and only few models get regular use ;)