Kids flashlight - need alternative to Playskool

rwc777

Newly Enlightened
I liked the Playskool Color GLow Flashlights, but they are no longer made.

So looking for something that would be reasonably safe for young children, inexpensive ( < $20 ),
not too bright and something that will turn off automatically like the Playskool.

Dont want a strobe mode or anything that can would keep a young child from sleeping.

Have read through a lot of old posts, and hoping there's something new out there?

... also, had read a post from 3 years ago about a flashlight at Dollar General that stayed
on as long as someone touched it, then turned off. Turning off automatically and not running down
is probably my most wanted feature.

Appreciate any suggestions for kids ~ 2 to 4 years.

Thanks!

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The hard part might be the auto turn off. Most flashlight are supposed to stay on till the batteries die :p

One option, if you don't require the auto off, could be a rubber 2D light with a long runtime drop-in.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Still my all-time kid's favorite: the Gerber Recon - 1xAA, colored lenses built in, 5MM LED that won't blind anyone, run it from a NiMH and it doesn't matter if they leave it on, ~$20.

ipdRkAjVfgn3H.jpg

Last edited:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Right, the Gerber Recon! Forgot about that light.

Seems like a goot choice as well, minus the auto off part.

I've let my second cousin, who's 4, play with a cheap 1 AA light and also gave her a small keychain light. She seems to like them.

KirthGersen

Newly Enlightened
Sounds like you need a flashlight with a trigger switch. One that I know of is the Rayovac 4D-B RB (this is a Krypton bulb light but can of course take a drop-in LED replacement bulb).

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are literally tonnes of novelty lights in the Kid's toy section of our local chain store, trigger on gravity off, cars, toy story etc. probably not quite your looking for but a suggestion all the same ;)

Quiksilver

Enlightened
Depending on how young they are, I'd suggest modding the light by adding an inset screw to prevent the tailcap and head from unscrewing.

Wouldn't want the youngster to swallow a CR123.

rwc777

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for some good suggestions, I'll try a couple of them and see how it goes.

Ezeriel

Enlightened
I wouldn't let most adults anywhere near a CR123...

how old are these kids? what are they gonna do with the light?

Ualnosaj

Enlightened
My two year old has a Fenix L2P with two Energizer NiMH under his pillow for "monsters". I consider that light (now) cheap, large enough to handle and relatively indestructible. Originally gave him a Sipik SK68 until I realized how hot it gets so if he accidentally leave it under his pillow on, it can get unpleasant.

Alan_L

Newly Enlightened
My 2 year old adopted my Energizer 1AA Tactical LED flashlight, available at Target for $15-20 as his own. Its probably a little too bright for small children, but we always remind him not to shine it in anyone's eyes or look directly in it and he never has. It doesn't turn off automatically but I think the agressive knurling and 1AA size makes it easy for his small hands to turn on and off. Simple on and off mode. The switch must be easier to use for him than some of my other flashlights that he tried before he settled on the Energizer. Good thing he didn't go for the Surefire or HDS! As StarHalo said, I run it with a NiMH and don't have to worry about him leaving it on.