Kitchen Knives Experiences

ganymede

Enlightened
Stopped by the Bowery Kitchen, a kitchen supply shop here in the city, and was checking out some of their knives. They actually have a decent amount of F. ****s knives, a German brand that's pretty hard to find in person. Out of any German knife I've handled it had the best factory edge by far however I wasn't a fan of their '1905' handle, not for me looks wise. While the name always gets a chuckle the knife itself seemed pretty good, not much different from the other big German knives but finished well and less expensive. Would have loved to do some real use comparisons side by side with my Henckles for a week or two :).

Hi P_A_S_1,

What is your budget? You looking for a chef/gyuto knife?

I looked at Bowery Kitchen's website and noticed that they have quite a few Kikuichi and Masamoto. Not sure if you are interested in J-knives, if you are then take a look at these two makers and you will not be disappointed. Good luck! :wave:

P_A_S_1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ganymede,
Just looking for now, happy with the Henckles for what I do. When the time comes I'll probably be leaning towards some Japanese knives however that will require me to also pick up new sharpening supplies for the harder steels. I've been on the Korin site and even went to the store, nice stuff, but reading specs and even handling the knife a little isn't enough to tell how well it will work (IMO), need to really use it to know. If your into Japanese stuff check them out, pretty unique.

Echo63

Flashlight Enthusiast
Im not much of a cook, and my wife isnt great with knives (frequently knicks and cuts herself) so we have a deal, i take ingredients and make them smaller, she makes smaller ingredients into food.

I have a bunch of kitchen knifes, of the lot, my favorite is the Spyderco Santoku (old MBS-26 model without the trademark hole)
its handle fits my hand really well, it gets and stays scary sharp - due to the size it makes a great "shovel" for scooping stuff off a chopping board.
easy to resharpen too - a dozen swipes on my sharpmaker with UF rods once a week or two to bring back the scary edge (feels like its trying to nibble your fingerprints off)
if i lost or broke it, i would find another one.

i have two Ran Santokus, (VG10 laminate Micarta handle - like a Shun)
good knives, hold an edge well but seem to chip a bit, havent seen any major issues since removing all the chips with a diamond plate, so it may have been fatigue issues (the chips started suddenly, and have now stopped again - other option is my wife has been abusing them while i am at work)
these have been a pain to resharpen - given the chips, better to keep them sharp with a few swipes on a sharpmaker every week

Wife has a Victorinox - comfortable handle, gets very sharp, doesnt hold an edge as well as the others, but it is a typical "german" knife, softer steel designed to be regularly steeled to freshen the edge, rather than the others that are all harder steels with better edgeholding.
it is incredibly rust resistant though.
needs frequently touching up, i give it a half dozen strokes on the sharpmakers brown rods every time i use it.

Globals - we have a block full (6knives)
they cut well, hold an edge decently (i believe the steel is roughly equivalent to aus-6) and are a piece of cake to sharpen
they dont stay as scary sharp as the Spyderco and Ran knives, but are easily touched up on the Sharpmaker - ultrafine stones every few days.

i should note that i am an edge nut, and i like really sharp knives
maintenance is done with an Sharpmaker, and heavy sharpening is done with an Edgepro Apex (up to 1000 grit stones the 2k and 3k tapes) on all except the victorinox, which gets a 600grit diamond stone and a quick strop with chromium oxide on balsa wood (in the edgepro) as it loses its edge so quickly its not worth the effort of polishing.

ganymede

Enlightened
Ganymede,
Just looking for now, happy with the Henckles for what I do. When the time comes I'll probably be leaning towards some Japanese knives however that will require me to also pick up new sharpening supplies for the harder steels. I've been on the Korin site and even went to the store, nice stuff, but reading specs and even handling the knife a little isn't enough to tell how well it will work (IMO), need to really use it to know. If your into Japanese stuff check them out, pretty unique.

Hi P_A_S_1,

I am familiar with Korin and they do have a good range of J-knives. There are a few other well stocked dealers online e.g. chefknivestogo (CKTG), japaneseknifeimports (JKI) and japanesechefsknife (JCK). I bought my Hiromotos and Kagayakis all from JCK.

If you look at major forums on kitchen knives you will discover that there is a quantum shift from Germans to J-knives, the Germans akin to Mag-lites here on CPF are good for what they do but there are better ones out there for serious knives user (flashaholics). As such, the Germans (mag-lites) get very little ink and hardly anyone talk about them. I do understand Germans vs J-knives is all down to personal preference and I respect that very much. Good luck in your search.

MrJino

Enlightened
Good eye!

The misono swedish steel is a very good knife. It has excellent geometry, materials, and fit and finish is above its price range.

I sold mine years ago, my coworker is still using it. I almost regret the sale, but it's in good hands.

One thing I'd like to add, it is not for a beginner chef. Any carbon needs pepper knowledge of steel, as it will rust in minutes if in the wrong hands.
As long as it's wiped dry after use, doesn't have to be bone dry, there just can't be spots of moisture on it, or it'll rust and pit very quickly.

Here is the sujihiki version, with patina that I made for it.

backside

Last edited:

P_A_S_1

Flashlight Enthusiast
MrJino, I've been reading the pros and cons on various sites but would like to know a few things if you don't mind. I use two stones for sharpening, medium india and a translucent Arkansas, will the carbon steel respond to these stones or are more aggressive stones likely needed? Also, did you find the steel to be tough or chippy?

P_A_S_1

Flashlight Enthusiast
The second photo looks nice, how did you get the 'pattern' on the knife?

MrJino

Enlightened
MrJino, I've been reading the pros and cons on various sites but would like to know a few things if you don't mind. I use two stones for sharpening, medium india and a translucent Arkansas, will the carbon steel respond to these stones or are more aggressive stones likely needed? Also, did you find the steel to be tough or chippy?

I've never used those stones before, but I would day this is a fairly easy steel to sharpen.
It has never chipped, but I've never used it in a way it would chip, as mine was a dedicated slicer, not chopper.

I used kitayama 8000 and chosera 6000 only.

P_A_S_1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've never used those stones before, but I would day this is a fairly easy steel to sharpen.
It has never chipped, but I've never used it in a way it would chip, as mine was a dedicated slicer, not chopper.

I used kitayama 8000 and chosera 6000 only.

OK, Thanks. I'm considering this knife so any info is appreciated. Not a chef, home use only, but I'd like to get a substantially better knife then what I'm using now (Henckle).

MrJino

Enlightened
OK, Thanks. I'm considering this knife so any info is appreciated. Not a chef, home use only, but I'd like to get a substantially better knife then what I'm using now (Henckle).

Any reason you want the carbon version over the stainless steel?

If it were for home, I'd get stainless personally, as I know other people will use the knife and eventually rust.

P_A_S_1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any reason you want the carbon version over the stainless steel?

If it were for home, I'd get stainless personally, as I know other people will use the knife and eventually rust.

The performance and ease of sharpening. I never had a carbon steel knife so there is some allure there as well.

MrJino

Enlightened
The performance and ease of sharpening. I never had a carbon steel knife so there is some allure there as well.

Well, that is true. Stainless does not perform the same as carbon, in my line of work, sushi.

But it's not that much easier to sharpen, I'd say barely makes a difference, some stainless is very as to sharpen for me.
But I have pretty decent stones to help me.

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any carbon needs pepper knowledge of steel, as it will rust in minutes if in the wrong hands.
As long as it's wiped dry after use, doesn't have to be bone dry, there just can't be spots of moisture on it, or it'll rust and pit very quickly.
I spray my carbon knives with cooking spray after use and cleaning. It seems to stop corrosion cold.

MrJino

Enlightened
It's not uncommon that sushi chefs will use camellia oil to protect their carbon, as camellia does not spoil (I believe).

Trip Miller

Enlightened
If you have not bought yet I just purchased a 8 & 10 gyuto (one for me and one for a second or spare as I cook with my brother a lot) a Santuko and a 6 petty and 3.5 paring all made by Tojiro and are the DP models. Great J-knife, VG-10 core steel with a stainless sanwich. They are VERY affordable for what they are and are a really nice transitional knife from G knifes to J knifes. Fit and finish is really good for the money. You can see them at chefsknifestogo but check out Amazon....

I am not a kitchen knife expert at all but have well into 5 figures in folding and fixed blade knives so I am very familiar with quality (and crap) knives and these are a best buy I am positive.

Good luck.