Knife Chatter. Show and Tell!

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
The oil treatment has brought out so much character in the wood. My fear was that any sort of oil treatment would cause the wood to swell and permanently tighten the pivot. Good to know I was wrong about that.

That's a well used blade! Mine were both dull out of the box, but I find them to be very easy to sharpen.

I let it soak in the oil for a day. I dropped the whole knife in the can of tung oil and let it set for a day in the sun near a window to keep the oil warm, pulled it out wiped it off and called it good. Every few years of so I give it a quick rub down with some mineral oil to keep it conditioned.

This knife also came dull, but the thin edge make it easy to sharpen,. The steel is soft enough to sharpen with a good file if need be. I use a Sharpmaker at home but when I am out and about I have used sand paper and files - this knife has been used hard and never pampered.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
I did some seriously unscientific edge testing on my Opinel number eight in carbon steel. It cut up a catalog easily (and not a moment too soon, as my wife may well have read said catalog and spent flashlight/knife money on said catalog's contents). I surely caught the staples as well. Then I cut a medium sized cardboard box to ribbons. At this point the edge was trashed. Just for fun, I cut up an old shoe, which worked okay despite the dull edge because of the knife's overall excellent slicing geometry.

In a matter of minutes, I put the edge right back on. No problem. While it does not hold an edge as long as super steel, it is currently the sharpest object in the house. Initial sharpness and ease of sharpening are as important to me as edge retention.

Now I have my eye on a Spyderco Delica with HAP 40...

Last edited:

xevious

Flashlight Enthusiast
Spyderco is almost ubiquitous with the folding knife blade having an enormous round open-assist cut in it. I certainly understand and appreciate cutting into a blade to provide ease of finger manipulation, in lieu of a stud that sticks out. But what of other blade modifications where the maker cuts small slots in the blade? Are they supposed to be a similar open-assist, but more passive?

My SOG Vulcan Tanto with san mai blade has these slots while also featuring a thumb stud. But without the stud, it doesn't look to me like those slots would work for an open-assist. So is this just a cosmetic feature? In my case, I decided to make use of the slots in an unintended way.

SOG-Vulcan-Tanto-trits.jpg

I have flipped open the blade hard numerous times. Trits have not cracked in any way. I'm guessing that the Norland Optical adhesive set properly such that it surrounded the trits and kept them from contacting the steel. Eventually I realized I had a spare trit and decided to fill the last open slot a little differently.

SOG-Vulcan-Tanto-trits2.jpg

Not a bad mod and it's easily reversed if I decide it's no longer useful. Acetone will melt away the NOR61 pretty easily.

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not long at all. Bought all of them off the same seller. I love case knives in any condition. : ) the center knife smells just like the coal mines, it's weird but it reminds me of being a young kid and having dad get off work.

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hope you guy don't mind me asking a question...
The Spyderco Tenacious has its catch on the bottom side of the handle, as opposed to something like a the Para that has it on the top.
When you grio the Tenacious when it's open, is the re a chance of pressing in the catch with your forefinger? Also, is there a chance of catching your finger on the blade as it closes when pressing in the catch?
Thank you, I'm very uneducated on knives and knife talk, sorry.
P

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I have a Tenacious and have never found myself accidentally pressing in on the lock release with my fore-finger, when held in a variety of grips.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hope you guy don't mind me asking a question...

The tenacious has a very sturdy liner lock. No worries about dislodging it during normal use. The Para 3 uses Spyderco's compression lock, which operates in a similar way. Both are quite robust and easy to operate one handed without risk of injury. You'll just have to practice the maneuver once or twice.

Streak

Enlightened
I have carried one or other version of the Honey Badger Flippers for some time, they just launched their Wharncleaver in D2 with blue handle.
Going to be doing some turkey cutting with it today.

wLbKZgV.jpg

Streak

Enlightened
Great buy and a beautiful blade! I love Wharncliff blades and sharpening choils.

Thanks. And, when you're not sharpening it's a great finger choil allowing one to really choke up on the blade. This is the large, I think I may have to buy the medium as well while they are still in stock.
They have a huge less 25% Black Friday special on right now but it's on some of their other models. Going to grab a bunch as stocking stuffers.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
The tenacious has a very sturdy liner lock. No worries about dislodging it during normal use. The Para 3 uses Spyderco's compression lock, which operates in a similar way. Both are quite robust and easy to operate one handed without risk of injury. You'll just have to practice the maneuver once or twice.

I wouldn't say the lock is very sturdy. On my sample, it's decently done. But definitely could be better. However, this is not surprising. Although I love Spyderco, and Sal is a good guy; the company has never been known for its liner-locks. A weak point for the brand in general.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I'm happy to see more and more D2 steel being used in sanely priced knives. Can't go wrong with good ole D2.

I'll be honest, I'm not. D2 is great.... until you have to resharpen it.
Being a tool steel, most folks love it because they can maintain that initial sharp edge. But use it too long, without maintaining the edge and thus needing to sharpen it; then it becomes a different story.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
..Although I love Spyderco, and Sal is a good guy; the company has never been known for its liner-locks....

Probably true. The compression lock is their flagship, at least in my opinion. However, I subscribe to the belief that the locking device on a folding knife need only be so strong. If you're just cutting, then any of their locks should be fine.

I'll be honest, I'm not. D2 is great.... until you have to resharpen it.

True again. Whether this is seen as an advantage or disadvantage depends upon the user's preference.

Sos24

Enlightened
I have a few modern folders and several Swiss Army knives. I also have some more traditional knives that I love for their nice looks and usually non-threatening appearance.

Here is one of my current favorite carry combinations: a Swiss Army Yeoman and Shirogorov Neon Lite.
0ea1a7490d603704a796f976370bb799.jpg

The Yeoman is my favorite SAK with such a useful combination of Blade, combo tool, magnifying glass, phillips, and scissors. The Neon Lite is just such a smooth flipping work of art that feels like it was made for my hand.

I love the toolset of the Yeoman so much that I had a custom one made with a front scale of Timascus and an awl instead of package hook on back. This one is such a beautiful knife that sometimes I almost feel guilty using it, so in some ways I call it my holiday/special occasion SAK. It is pictured with a Case Sodbuster Jr that I got because of it being a special Navy one.
54f231c413b7b30c689fb42a64cf973e.jpg

Here is also a picture of some of my other SAKs. In addition to loving the different models for their different tool sets, I also love the special edition scales. Here are a few of them - the Yeoman (also pictured above), a modified SAK that is the Yeoman toolset plus a wood saw, a Camper, and a Compact.
43fb139ff625ce4a024577bf9774b6a1.jpg

I always have a SAK Rambler on my keychain. It is part of a very special pair (the other being on my wife's keys). It has a schrimshaw etching of a photo from my wedding day on one scale.
b043e397ab24b887134d3676269b3a6e.jpg

I do not have many fixed blades, but my most prized is a Western that had been my Grandfather's knife which my Dad gave me. it is pictured with a SAK Fieldmaster.
ba8ca92e38062aee897766beea1d4593.jpg

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love the toolset of the Yeoman so much that I had a custom one made with a front scale of Timascus and an awl instead of package hook on back.

Who does your custom work?

It is part of a very special pair (the other being on my wife's keys). It has a schrimshaw etching of a photo from my wedding day on one scale.

Now that is something very special!