Knife Chatter. Show and Tell!

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
I live in a place where automatic knives are legal, so I thought it would be a waste not to try a Microtech. This is their LUDT, a side opening auto with CTS 204P super steel. The fit and finish put me in mind of CRK, although the handle material is aluminum, not titanium. This one is gray anodized with a bronze finish on the blade. It has a sharpening choil! The factory edge will last a long time, but the choil improves the quality of my life as an amateur knife sharpener. It is a compact, lightweight tool and very easy to carry.

Microtech.jpg

nbp

Flashaholic
Sorry guys, it has taken me waaay too long to get to posting some blades here. Many have come and gone over the years, but here's what I have right now. There are probably a couple cheapies stashed around but these are the ones worth looking at. Probably a half dozen multitools as well, but that's not really the topic of this thread. Okay, on to some slicers.

Spydercos: Pacific Salt, Delica 4, Caly 3 CF

so0n2dz.jpg

Automatics: Piranha X, Microtech Ultratech, Heretic Manticore X, Heretic Cleric

ofLpf2A.jpg

lG6kw0y.jpg

Titanium Framelocks: Chris Reeve Lg Sebenza Insingo, Lg Sebenza Insingo CF, Sm Inkosi, WE Knife Co.

Y8cgTfr.jpg

ntIdQ0Q.jpg

Fixed Blades: Landi CTS, Landi Kinzua, Landi RSK, Stroker Knives Bushcraft

bWlUZKM.jpg

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry guys, it has taken me waaay too long to get to posting some blades here.

It took three months plus change, but it was worth the wait. :poke: Your collection is stunning! I'm really digging your Sebenzas. The edges look great, too. Dying to get my hands on a 31!

nbp

Flashaholic
Thanks bro! Yeah autos and ti framelocks have been my muses when it comes to knives the last couple of years. Wish I could keep everything, especially all the CRKs I tried but alas they come and go. Lg Sebbies are where it's at. That plain Insingo would probably be the knife I'd choose if I had to use one knife for the rest of my life. Well, until CRK decides to make a damascus Insingo,,,, I'd promise my firstborn for a plain jane dammy Insingo.

The WE Knife Co. knives are fantastic knives for the money. While it doesn't give me the same pride of ownership as a Sebenza, the materials, machining and tolerances are outstanding. If you like Ti framelocks and excellent steel for half the price of a USA midtech, check them out. Don't let the country of origin fool you. There is a place for them in any collection in my opinion. I like to say that WE is not my favorite knife, but it is my most carried knife. It flips like a beast.

Btw, our member desertsnake is friends with the guy who makes those Stroker knives and they are phenomenal knives at an amazing value. If you need a fixed blade, seriously, get in touch with him to see what he's got.

nbp

Flashaholic
Yes, where a button or slider fires the blade out into position to be used. Side openers have to be closed then by hand, as do single action out the fronts. Double action out the fronts retract the blade as well by pulling back on the slider.

nbp

Flashaholic
Here's something a little different, but I don't know where else to post it. My grandpa turned 90 last October. I mentioned him earlier in the thread as the one I got my EDC genes from, haha. He is still in awesome shape and lives in his own house and needs very little help, drives, goes on trips etc. But he is talking about downsizing, so we are kind of thinking about what things he has that we want to keep in the family, lest he throws them out or donates them and we find out later family heirlooms have disappeared.

I specifically asked about his hunting rifle, as it's one thing I really wanted to keep. So we met for lunch and he gave it to me. It's a J. Stevens model 325, only made from 1947-1949. Not an expensive gun, but he bought it when he was about 18 in ~1947 after saving up money working at a bowling alley setting pins, and hunted with it for 60 years, putting a lot of meat on the table for his family. The fore-end had a crack in it when he got it but he was learning cabinet making as a trade so he disassembled the gun and carefully repaired and refinished the stock. The gun case was made locally from a hide from a deer he shot. He has had the gun now about 72 years! I am very honored to be the new caretaker of the gun. :)

SIfyH22.jpg

In addition, he gave me a few knives he had collected over the years, so I thought I would post them up. They are well worn, aren't worth anything really, but I am happy to have them. A little piece of his history.

JBi7H5D.jpg

This old Herter's bowie he bought at the Milwaukee sport show when he was 15 and was starting hunting, for about $1.50. He used it for 75 years. And as worn as it looks, the thing still still shaves up a sheet of paper!! My dad is good with leather and made this replacement sheath for him years ago when the original wore out. I'm proud of this one. :)

Ruegb1J.jpg

X8nlhBY.jpg

6ZrGTrH.jpg

Last edited:

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
Our greatest generation, once again handing down examples of how to care for things and make them last. That's a very inspiring post.

nbp

Flashaholic
Yeah to be honest, I felt a little ashamed carrying a $400 Sebbie in my pocket when he gave me those knives. I couldn't wear out the knives and other bladed tools I have in three lifetimes, and he was an outdoorsman for decades catching fish, deer hunting, camping, on a relatively few dollars worth of knives and other tools. It shows it's not just the tool but the man (or woman of course) behind the tools. Granted, the situation is a little different. When he was my age he was married with four kids and I'm single, but still. I hope someone is still using my Sebenzas in 70 years.

archimedes

Flashaholic
I think that one difference is that even modest tools 70 years ago were designed to last, if taken care of and maintained.

Now, the market is divided (mostly) into cheap disposable "junk" versus pricey "heirloom" quality items.

Nothing wrong with buying fine tools that last, but way tougher to afford now.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hope someone is still using my Sebenzas in 70 years.

Look on the bright side. *For a mere 100 times what your grandfather paid for his knife, your grandchildren can send your Sebbie back to CRK for a new blade if they wear out the original.

*Prices not adjusted for future inflation.:duh2:

nbp

Flashaholic
Just a couple of ZTs.

Nothing wrong with that! ZT makes a very fine knife! Plenty of variety too for all different folks.

Look on the bright side. *For a mere 100 times what your grandfather paid for his knife, your grandchildren can send your Sebbie back to CRK for a new blade if they wear out the original.

*Prices not adjusted for future inflation.:duh2:

Lol. Well the 21 is already out of production so I suspect by then all the warranty blades will be long gone. They will have to make do with an oddly shaped blade after too many sharpenings. Haha

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just a couple of ZTs.

Which ZTs are those, bro?

Lol. Well the 21 is already out of production...

First world confession. The fact that the 21s are out of production has caused me some angst. Should I get one while I still can? Should I just wait for the 31? Both?!

620220 GEC Easy Pocket Congress.

Dude, I love GEC. If I could find a #93 Ramsfoot, I would buy it at super sonic speed.

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
Which ZTs are those, bro?

Both are variants of the 0350. Built like tanks and s30v steel is tough enough/easy enough to manage for literally anything. The tiger stripe is dlc coated and the other is a stone wash finish. My coworker has already claimed the stone wash that I just received in case I decide to sell one of them. I've got a feeling he will be waiting a while. : )

xevious

Flashlight Enthusiast
My small, modest knife collection. Started about 8 years ago with the SOG X-Ray Vision. Then a few months later, found the SOG Vulcan Tanto. After the Ganzo 707, I took a very long break. The SanRenMu I'd been using as a mini EDC doesn't have a clip and after some time, I wanted to get something a little better. The Spyderco Vrango was a big step up! A lot more expensive than the others. But it's a very beautifully machined & designed knife. To keep wear to a minimum, I bought a cheap Lemifshe D2 knife as a beater. But... it's really good value for the money!

Knife-Collection-2020-02a.jpg

Knife-Collection-2020-02b.jpg