Knife Laws in Australia??

5CardBLAZE

Newly Enlightened
Hey everyone, do any of you know if my benchmade bonecollecter small knife would be allowed? It is one of my favorite knives and would hate to have it be confiscated. Thanks!

Some Aussie Customs inspectors are dills, and some are tin gods. I guess it depends on the one on duty on the day. I've had 1" to 1.5" bladed folders seized for destruction, and had Assisted Open ( AO ) let pass within the same manually eyeballed/opened inspection. So who knows what they know; and their training. I've had 7 separate shipments come through with 1 CRKT Anubis inside. Financially risky at over $100ea landed in Australia? Yes! Been stopped? No! Financial loss to date on these Anubis = Zilch! Can they be converted [to full auto] after sales? Just ask YouTube!!!!!!! (therefore you can infer mine are higher risk of seizure than your Bone Collector™). I once asked Aussie Customs for approval recommendation for a shipment of Kukris. No Probs dealing with `em via email. Was recommended to have approval mentioned on outside of package ---- USA supplier failed to do this, yet Aussie Customs let these Kukri Machetes pass without bothering to eyeball/open.
All my imports have been this year and last year only ( 2012 / 2013 )::: well after Victoria's harsher [new] laws [post December 2011].
Bone Collector™ ----- write an email to Customs requesting approval ---- get their OK ---- get it to be quoted with shipment when you order {special instructions}.
My experience says that they just really hate anything being concealed blade etc. and hate ballysongs {butterfly}.
Don't worry none about definitions like "one-handed-opening" and all that rot ---- they only inspect what seems weapon like! ---- Tool like = no-big-deal!!!!:knight:

5CardBLAZE

Newly Enlightened
Post December 2011:::--- Who has come foul of new Victorian knife Laws??
Does anyone have experiences to share on buying blades in Victoria, Australia in the last twelve months ???

5CardBLAZE

Newly Enlightened
I remember reading that somewhere, that you can only carry a knife if it's for your job, hobby, religious practice, + a few other conditions, or two-from these places. Thing is, I can't find anything like this in the TAS Criminal Code Act or Police Offenses Act, and I'm beginning to think it was probably a precedent under Common Law.

I've got a dilemma at the moment, I've carried a first-gen Spyderco Delica for at least the past three or four years in my waistband, and use it almost every day. I'm starting to worry about the legalities of it, and while I'd be legally in a better position with a multitool or smaller knife, I can't bring myself to use something like a Swiss Army Knife- I hate non-locking blades. I also own an old Leatherman Wave, but I don't carry it around- it's too big & heavy and I don't use the tools often. The 3" Delica is pretty much ideal, in fact if Australia had clearer knife laws, I'd probably carry something bigger. It's not a weapon, it's a utility.

I read a story about a young 18yo girl being pulled up at her local Frankston Train Station during a random metal detector search in 2012.
She was on her way home from either Coles or Woolies, and in her purse was a normal Stanley knife. She copped the Victorian $1,000 on-the-spot fine `cause she didn't know what exactly to say regarding "lawful reason". Her mother was furious!!!!!!!! The girl's work made her carry a Stanley knife at work, and the poor intimidated girl seems to have been to befuddled and unable to say it was for work (when asked).

I've walked into Magistrate's Courts here in Victoria with a keyring pocket knife more times than can be counted on one hand.
Everytime, they take it away (but with receipt). Everytime, I get it back when I leave. A mere one time only I was asked by a PSO why I had it?
That was the only time I was halted more than a few seconds when entering court. Even then the PSO couldn't even be bothered to allow me to completely finish my explanation --- he was board; accepting my reason from the get go from when he was called over to me!!!!

Yes, a pocket tool is a utility --- we need `em, just like my AAA and AA pocket torches (still not settled on which is my permanent Every Day Carry?!!@$*@$#&:twak: