Kroll switch question (Judco J1052 vs. Streamlight 715007)

yazkaz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Currently there are NO J1052s available anywhere, not even at the Sandwich Shoppe (where the last inventory count was "-88"). I've been aware of the Streamlight switch variant which has been used in early incarnations of the Streamlight Jr. model, and features full metallic thread areas (unlike with the J1052).

My question is, are these two Kroll switches inter-compatible with, say, MagAA (incandescent) setup? Late I notice the 715007 being available at certain web vendors (as well as in eB) and, given the hefty price, I'm not sure if I sh ould eve go get one just for tries (on the MagAA setup).

So anyone here has experience with the 715007? If so, share some thoughts here. Thanks in advance.

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Currently there are NO J1052s available anywhere, not even at the Sandwich Shoppe (where the last inventory count was "-88"). I've been aware of the Streamlight switch variant which has been used in early incarnations of the Streamlight Jr. model, and features full metallic thread areas (unlike with the J1052).

My question is, are these two Kroll switches inter-compatible with, say, MagAA (incandescent) setup? Late I notice the 715007 being available at certain web vendors (as well as in eB) and, given the hefty price, I'm not sure if I sh ould eve go get one just for tries (on the MagAA setup).

So anyone here has experience with the 715007? If so, share some thoughts here. Thanks in advance.
Good question, but unfortunately I don't know the answer.

I have several AA Minimags, stock and modded, that I'd like to retrofit with a 'real / proper' switch so I can use tham some just for old times' sake (I simply can't bear using them now without it), and am probably going to pick up one or two of these to try, just haven't gotten around to ordering them. I think this outfit is practically in my neighborhood, and at least they have specifications - that's a good start!

I'll be watching this thread.

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good question, but unfortunately I don't know the answer.

I have several AA Minimags, stock and modded, that I'd like to retrofit with a 'real / proper' switch so I can use tham some just for old times' sake (I simply can't bear using them now without it), and am probably going to pick up one or two of these to try, just haven't gotten around to ordering them. I think this outfit is practically in my neighborhood, and at least they have specifications - that's a good start!

I'll be watching this thread.

No time like the present, they say, so I finally got off my A and ordered 2x AA and 1xAAA switches.

Also weakened and decided to try one of these. 180 / 65 L, 5700K, and 90 CRI w/ AL reflector. What's not to like?

Do I feel lucky today? Nah, but I'll give these a try and post opinions later anyway! $70 all-in.

yazkaz

Flashlight Enthusiast
@aznsx
This thread discussion is on the Kroll switch variants in question only, NOT the rest of the MagAA accessory upgrade matrix and such. Please stay on topic!

The Litt company offers, I've seen them on eB. Relatively cheap, but not amused at all. Reminds me of the very ancient bi-pin "module" upgrades from Terralux, that have no regulation at all.

Same thing goes to the tailcap switch. Don't know how Litt constructs the tailcap switch chassis but if this is not user serviceable (as in the original Terralux reverse clicky tailcap variant) then it's no good.

Speaking of MagAA mods, I'm more on the side with custom sandwich pill builds. Expensive investment (esp. with labor on the pills' assembly) but satisfying.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I think OP was trying to offer a solution to a problem. A viable option in fact. No need to get snippy about it.

I'm a big fan of the Kroll but let's face it, supply has dried up so it's time to look at other sources.

Last edited:

yazkaz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think OP was trying to offer a solution to a problem. A viable option in fact. No need to get snippy about it.
I didn't mean to be snippy. Maybe a tinge too critical instead. So yes I get it he was trying to help, but he didn't seem to get my point, and yes, he went way too over.

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
No time like the present, they say, so I finally got off my A and ordered 2x AA and 1xAAA switches.

Also weakened and decided to try one of these. 180 / 65 L, 5700K, and 90 CRI w/ AL reflector. What's not to like?

Do I feel lucky today? Nah, but I'll give these a try and post opinions later anyway! $70 all-in.
@aznsx, when you get the Litt parts installed there's a few of us who would like to hear your input so please start another thread 🇺🇸

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't have a Streamlight clickie switch or a new Streamlight Jr on hand, but Mini-Mags and older SL Jrs had compatible tailcaps. If nothing's changed it should work. Streamlight has a history of using Judco switches so I wouldn't be surprised if the guts were the same.

NiteIze also sold a Mini-Mag clickie at one point but it doesn't feel great.

yazkaz

Flashlight Enthusiast
@aznsx, when you get the Litt parts installed there's a few of us who would like to hear your input so please start another thread 🇺🇸
I checked the product lineup from Litt's site. Definitely not very impressive. The only two things that I may be interested in, are the crenellated bezel rings and the "metal" reflector for the MagAA upgrade. However, the latter is not available as a separate item, plus I don't know how well it will work with custom sandwich modules with various LED options, in terms of beam focusing. As for the cren bezel ring, if they're not made in stainless steel then again I don't think they're of much good either.

While I don't mean to be all negative towards Litt, I'm still doubtful on its LED drop-in upgrades and such. Basically, once a MagAA modder turns to the custom sandwich (or pill) route, there's no turning back. In other words, the original bi-pin mechanism is to be yanked out for good.

As for the Litt tailcap switch, basically the SAME design as in the original Terralux variant, albeit with some exterior differences. In other words, NON-user serviceable, and will only last for 2-3 years tops, then either the rubber boot fails, or the internals fail (rendering the reverse clicky inoperative), or both.

With the Kroll switch the only one thing I need to maintain regularly is the rubber boot, which wears out quite fast depending on usage. Usually a boot can last for around a year before it needs to be replaced. Given my circumstances I always have spare boots at my disposal, even have extras to sell to recoup some money.

yazkaz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't have a Streamlight clickie switch or a new Streamlight Jr on hand, but Mini-Mags and older SL Jrs had compatible tailcaps. If nothing's changed it should work. Streamlight has a history of using Judco switches so I wouldn't be surprised if the guts were the same.

NiteIze also sold a Mini-Mag clickie at one point but it doesn't feel great.
There are a few online vendors that sell the Kroll J1052-inspred Streamlight switch, albeit in limited quantities. New ST Jr. users won't care about them as the newer ST Jr. has a completely reworked tail thread/switch config which refrains totally from the Kroll setup.

The ones I spotted on eB are not cheap though. Around $8-9 a pop. So unless I can confirm this 715007 is indeed compatible with the MagAA (incan of course) I'm not going to risk gertting them (in case they're not compatible due to different thread pitch dimensions, for example).

As for the NiteIze switch, which one are you referring to? The fancy one with additional LED blinking indicators, or something else? I heard that the one I mention here does not perform very well due to high internal resistance which decreases the light's output.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have an old IQ switch for a mini maglite, it was sold with led drop in and a reflector, i have no idea where led and the reflector are, but the switch i still have, i tried it with other led drop in for a mini mag, but it would not work with it. Iirc it worked with a inc bulb.
If interested shoot me a pm, i have no use for it. have no clue if it fits a streamlight, do not have one to test.

1686341124414.png

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I have an old IQ switch for a mini maglite, it was sold with led drop in and a reflector, i have no idea where led and the reflector are, but the switch i still have, i tried it with other led drop in for a mini mag, but it would not work with it. Iirc it worked with a inc bulb.
If interested shoot me a pm, i have no use for it. have no clue if it fits a streamlight, do not have one to test.

View attachment 44908
Wow, that's an oldy but goody.

yazkaz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, that's an oldy but goody.
No it's NOT. This is the NiteIze switch I was referring to, the one that yields decreased overall output (even at high setting) due to increased internal resistance etc. within the tailcap chassis. Fun to novices and other budget users, not quite so to higher-end MagAA modders.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
No it's NOT. This is the NiteIze switch I was referring to, the one that yields decreased overall output (even at high setting) due to increased internal resistance etc. within the tailcap chassis. Fun to novices and other budget users, not quite so to higher-end MagAA modders.
Yikes! Somebody woke up on the wrong side of the bed.

I was actually referring to it being an older version of the nite ize drop in kit.

Last edited:

yazkaz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was actually referring to it being an older version of the nite ize drop in kit.
I seem to recall that the NiteIze switch also didn't yield good fitment on the MagAA's tail side. The same issue also goes to Terralux's tailcap as well; I bought some new ones years ago but realized they didn't fit onto just any MagAA body. So those switches had to be returned.

And since Litt inherited much of Terralux's original tailcap switch design, I believe the same fitment issue would occur in Litt's tailcap variant as well.

The Kroll (J1052) with plastic threads (and one side spring contact) has so far given me no issues witht the thread fitment. There is however occasional electrical contact issue where the said spring contact doesn't latch between the MagAA's tail threads properly, resulting in switch actuation failure (ie. light setup would not turn on). Reinstalling the Kroll and giving a side tap usually solves the problem.

That said, it's still not confirmed if the ST 715007 switch variant would fit onto the MagAA without issue. But if it does (ie. given the metallic threads are compatible) then I believe the 715007 may yield better electrical contact within the modded MagAA setup.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Oh I agree those Nite Ize switches are junk when trying to build a hot wire'd minimag but these days most say "a what? you guys used to do what?" "Kroll? Isn't that the lead singer for the Foo Fighters?"

I do await mr az's input on the Litt switch simply beause as a Litt products purchaser in the past I'm thinking it won't be junk like the Nite Ize. Able to withstand massive current flow? Eh, I'm thinking they did not have that in mind but instead when the owner's wife said "why don't you make me a clicky for my minimag?" he did. They make off road lighting stuff and have a Maglite stuff as a side project. Well made stuff in my experience.

Last edited:

yazkaz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh I agree those Nite Ize switches are junk when trying to build a hot wire'd minimag but these days most say "a what? you guys used to do what?" "Kroll? Isn't that the lead singer for the Foo Fighters?"

I do await mr az's input on the Litt switch simply beause as a Litt products purchaser in the past I'm thinking it won't be junk like the Nite Ize. Able to withstand massive current flow? Eh, I'm thinking they did not have that in mind but instead when the owner's wife said "why don't you make me a clicky for my minimag?" he did. They make off road lighting stuff and have a Maglite stuff as a side project. Well made stuff in my experience.
To describe a MagAA being "hot wired" can be confusing. Some had, in the past achieved high-power incandescent mods within the MagAA system. I didn't remember much of the detail regarding such real "hot wiring" mod but I doubt any of those tail switch options (including the J1052) could withstand relatively higher currents (as required by those bulbs in question).

BTW the Kroll (J1052) was also used in selective Jil-Lite models, again lights that many of us have forgotten about. Guess we're getting too old (outdated?) for this hobby?