• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired Lamplighter LED keychain lanterns

jonwkng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Count me in for one brass and one copper Lamplighter, please. :)

jonwkng 1 3 windows Brass
jonwkng 1 3 windows Copper

Thank you!

calipsoii

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the interest guys, I've updated the list!

-------------------

Something I'd like to ask is that everyone is gentle when tightening the tailcaps. There is no "stop ledge" inside the body like on most lights. There is simply no room for one in the current design: the threads would need changed, the o-ring would need resized, the body made wider and the whole thing re-machined and re-tested.

I'm mentioning it because one of my early hand-machined units encountered an issue with this a few days ago. The batteries put pressure on the PCB, which put pressure on the suspension wires and caused them to twist. I'm using a new half-height wire design now that will minimize twisting but with enough pressure on the PCB they will still bend side-to-side (which is undesirable).

These Run #1 units have a finer thread pitch (32 TPI up from 24) and are using the aforementioned half-height suspension wires. Chris' machining is absolutely top-notch and the threads are like butter as you screw the tail in. Just after the o-ring disappears there is a satisfying soft-stop that you'll feel with your fingertips once everything is snug. That said: it's still possible to tighten past that point and doing so might cause damage.

I'm at a bit of a crossroads now in that I know a hard stop would be desireable but it would take well into next year to design, test and implement. Plus the current design is a good one so long as you're aware not to overtighten things. There are 13 other Lamplighters floating around out there that have never had a problem, including the 2 samples that have been riding around on my keychain for a few weeks:
doublelamplighters.jpg

doubleinthedark.jpg

I don't feel that this is an issue that I should cancel Run #1 over, but something that needs mentioned so everyone is aware. If you'd prefer to wait for a redesign with a defined hard stop that's no problem, just send me a PM! Otherwise I'm excited to build one for you and I think you're going to enjoy it glowing away on your bedside table. :)

archimedes

Flashaholic
We've discussed this before, but since you are at least considering a future redesign, I'll note that using SR44 might bump up runtime quite a lot, at the cost of only a few more millimeters in size.

The increased size might also provide more room to incorporate features like that "thread-stop" , too ....

cnjl3

Enlightened
Could a lip be machined on the end of the tail cap as a stop?
I like the above idea because the enhancement would occur on the smallest piece.
In most of your pictures it looks like the tail cap has the outer ridge of the O-ring channel exposed?
You don't even need a set screw or blue loctite because that is what you would do if the tail cap has
a tendency to fall off (which it doesn't). So just a remark/warning that you screw on the tail cap until the o-ring disappears seems like the best current solution. But like i said previously "I'm still in for the first run."

calipsoii

Flashlight Enthusiast
If not a lip then how about a hairline to identify the stop? Regardless, I am still in.

You won't need it. Honest to goodness you won't. The tailcaps that Chris is machining come to a nice stop exactly when they should. I just wanted to a post a warning so people don't absolutely crank down on them.

Could a lip be machined on the end of the tail cap as a stop?

One of my original alternate designs had this actually! I never machined it because I didn't like the look in CAD. I'm not a big fan of visible seams and this adds a seam at the very end of the body. It also extends the length a bit and changes the look when viewed top-down. Not a big deal, but I just prefer the look of the plunger-style tail.

For kicks though, I machined the alternate tailcap today. I'm still not hot on the look but I'll post the pictures here to get some feedback.
alternatetailcap1.jpg

alternatetailcap2.jpg

alternatetailcap3.jpg

If you'd really prefer the tailcap with the lip then maybe we can make that an option... I'd need to speak to Chris about it and see. As mentioned to Monanza though, you really truly do not need the lip to know when you stop tightening, you'll feel it very clearly with your fingertips.

Let me know below or via PM if you think you'd prefer this alternate tailcap and I'll see what's involved in making that happen. :)

jonwkng

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm definitely sticking to the original lip-less design. Still in for run #1 too. :)