• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired Lamplighter LED keychain lanterns

calipsoii

Flashlight Enthusiast
I spoke with Chris yesterday and we agree the lip is unnecessary. His threads come to a nice stop exactly when they should. :)

For anyone who might be quietly following along, this is the last week to get in on Run #1 so if you're interested now's the time!

calipsoii

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi all,

A few things:
  1. You may be tempted to twirl the glass between your fingertips. Don't! It's attached to the wires. I will super-glue it into the body for you but try to avoid the temptation all the same.
  2. Order has been sent to the machine shop. Hurray! Currently estimating a little over a month before I have the bodies in my hot little hands. In the meantime I'm working on all the innards so I can assemble everything once they arrive.
  3. If you want to see where we're at, remember that I'm regularly updating Post #2 with the build progress. Check back once in a while to see how things are coming!

Cheers!

calipsoii

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi guys!

Chris emailed to say the machining is coming along well. If all goes according to plan I should have bodies in a few weeks here!
run1machining.jpg

Internals are nearly finished. PCB's still need populated but after that we're into final assembly of all the components. Stay tuned!

calipsoii

Flashlight Enthusiast
They just crossed the border in Vancouver and are on their way to my hot little hands. :)

calipsoii

Flashlight Enthusiast
Would it be difficult to make one with two LEDs back-to-back for more spherical output?

Would use too much power electromage. The LR41's are teeny little things with a low capacity so to get a nice long runtime one LED is used.

calipsoii

Flashlight Enthusiast
Did you get the hosts?

I surely did cnjl3!
brassandcopperSept.jpg

They're gorgeously machined. I simply cannot speak highly enough of Chris' work. The threads are like butter, the finish is so smooth and he's knocked every sharp corner off. Even the tiny split ring hole is beveled with a nice smooth edge.

I still have to solder a few boards and then all of them need their LED's suspended. I'm going to take my time and make sure everything is done just the best I can so it'll still be a few weeks before I'm ready to assemble and ship. I've been having wrist problems lately and it's been slowing my work but I've been taking great care of them and should be back at full speed soon.

Thanks to everyone for your patience, I really think you're going to enjoy the sight of one of these hanging from your keychain.

cnjl3

Enlightened
Question: I see that you recommend SR41 batteries. I ordered SR41 from Amazon.com and they sent me some Energizer 392 batteries. Will these do? At least they are not LR41 type that you cautioned us about.

calipsoii

Flashlight Enthusiast
That should be just fine cnjl3, SR41 cells are also referred to as 392.

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
I've been having wrist problems lately and it's been slowing my work but I've been taking great care of them and should be back at full speed soon.
As a long time computer user and flashlight assembler, I recommend rest and ice. And automate any twisting you can.

calipsoii

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi guys,

Wrists are doing much better, thanks for the advice. Been taking it very easy on them and I'm back at full capacity now.

Until this point it's been easiest to do all the pieces in a single operation and work my way through the steps assembly-line style. I'm at the point now though where each individual piece needs tested and matched with all its other pieces so from here out it's individual assembly.

Something I've been having issues with is the PCB insertion. The circuit is friction-fit into the body so it needs slipped over a tiny ledge inside to hold it securely in place. This requires a fair amount of very evenly distributed force. I've machined a tiny Delrin piston to cradle the board and keep it flat as it's inserted, but actually applying force has been problematic.

Fingers are certainly no match for the task:
imnohulk.jpg

And while a hammer works sometimes, it generates a TON of energy that often makes the LED wires crooked or jars the pieces out of proper alignment. Not very reliable (or civilized).
kineticenergy.jpg

What I need is a very slow, steady pressure that I can direct into the assembly to finish the last 1/8" of travel. The assembly I built to do this turned out so ridiculous that I just had to share it with you. :laughing:
inserterator.jpg

Haven't had a chance to take it on the maiden voyage yet but I'm certain it's exactly what I need. Stay tuned as we enter the final stretch of this run!

monanza

Flashlight Enthusiast
THE INSERTERATOR! :crackup: Can we vote on a name for that awesome thingamajig? My vote goes for 'The "Hey, Watch My Damn Thumb You Foo" Tool'.

On a more serious note, you can probably assemble two or three in it at one time.

calipsoii

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm happy to report The Inserterator works amazingly well. :twothumbs
run1lamplighter1.jpg

I have 500 12mm chrome-plated stainless steel split rings in the mail so until those arrive I cannot ship anything. I plan to continue the builds until they show up at which point PM's will start going out. :)