• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Learning to lathe [things]

kenster

Flashlight Enthusiast
PhotonFanatic said:
Ken,

Took about two months, but I think the distributor screwed up the order a bit.

When does your baby arrive?

Should be the end of this week!:rock: I`m ready to have some FUN!:buddies: Ooops! That`s for after playing with my new machines!:grin2:

Where did you order from? Looks like it does a great job so I may as well put in an order!:naughty:

Ken

Last edited:

PhotonFanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
kenster said:
Should be the end of this week!:rock: I`m ready to have some FUN!:buddies: Ooops! That`s for after playing with my new machines!:grin2:

Where did you order from? Looks like it does a great job so I may as well put in an order!:naughty:

Ken

So what did you finally order?

And don't blame me if this link ends up lightening your wallet. :lolsign:

kenster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fred, I took a quick look at the link and I believe I will be hanging out there for a while tomorrow!:grin2: Thanks for helping to empty my wallet.:rock: :huh2: Wait a minute?!?:ohgeez: :laughing:
Sorry. no Wabeco this time but next one?????:whistle: I just went ahead and ordered the LatheMaster 8 x 14 with a bunch of extras thier site. Headed over to Micro Mark for a Mini Milling Machine and a bunch of extras there. I still am going to hit The Little Machine Shop for a DRO and a bunch of other extras there. :awman:

Dang it all!:huh: It`s getting late and I deffinately 1,000% need a beer now!:drunk: Too bad I`m broke now!:banghead: I`ll charge it!:p I`m outa here!!!!!:buddies:

Ken

Last edited:

tino_ale

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cool Kenster!!
Please share your first contact with the machine, impressions, thoughts, first work... Can't wait to hear about this LM 8x14! :popcorn:

kenster said:
I just went ahead and ordered the LatheMaster 8 x 14 with a bunch of extras thier site.Ken

PhotonFanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Introducing a lesson learned that actually resulted in a finished light, although it's not a flashlight!:lolsign:

Here it is, the Luce de Notte!

Standing on its face:

LDN_Dome.jpg

On its side:

LDN_Slanted.jpg

The eagle-eyed have already figured out that it is a night light, utilizing a Tritium vial. The domed end will glow faintly when the light is placed on your nightstand/table. Pick it up and head to the bathroom and you'll be using this end:

LDN_Front2.jpg

So what did I learn? Mainly how to cut the dome using a new radius tool. Very cool tool.

Also learned a bit how to deal with plastic; at first my tools were just cutting grooves, into the plastic. Thanks to MirageMan, I learned that I needed a tool with a bit more radius to it.

I do plan to build these and sell them. I'll start a sales thread once I get some machining time in.

Last edited:

PhotonFanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Today I learned how to break another tool.
biggrin.gif

This time it was a face grooving tool, and an expensive one at that. Was being very gentle on the infeed and SPM, but it still broke making this groove:

GID-Ring.jpg

Also got a chance to play with the lathe as mill today--by doing a knock-off the ARC split ring solution. This involved using a 1/2" three-flute endmill for the cuts into the body to make what will become the split-ring hole; plus the use of the corner rounding endmill also. As you can see there was a bit of chatter on the corner rounding. May need to play with the speed, infeed there a bit:

SplitRingArea.jpg

Think I'll go buy some cheap face grooving tools and pratice some more.

Griz

Newly Enlightened
Hang in there Fred, you're doing real good for just starting out.
As for busted tooling...get used to it. You'll break less tooling as you gain experience. It's just part of the learning process.
Keep posting pictures, I'm having fun watching your progress.

kenster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fred, I am sorry to hear you broke a tool but
rolleyes.gif
...... just buy another one!
tongue.gif

Seriously, this "Learning to Lathe" thread of yours has turned out to be fantastic so please keep the posts coming.
smile.gif
If you have more to offer on the chatter experienced while corner rounding.......
popcorn.gif

Ken

will

Flashlight Enthusiast
Chatter is generally caused by something not being held tight enough. Could be the tool too far out from the tool holder, the work sticking out too far from the chuck, those are easy to fix.

Next would be the slides being too loose. the chuck having too much play. Could even be the bearing in the head assembly of the lathe.

Easiest to check - slow down the cutting speed.

A radius tool takes off a lot material, that puts a lot of stress on the whole setup
A face groove tool is reasonably easy to grind, The left side of the tool should have a radius smaller than the radius of the groove you are going to cut. The front should have a regular clearance ground in. The right side can be straight. Or you can buy one.

I bought a few tool steel blanks, I grind most of my own tools. I don't work anything tougher than aluminum, so I don't need carbide.

Last edited:

PEU

Flashlight Enthusiast
In my experience with my minilathe, chatter occurs for the following reasons:

Long tools
Tool supported at a longer than desired distance from the tool holder
Unsharp tools
Not properly tightened tool post
Chuck Speed

And there is one I can't solve: minilathe rigidity, this is due to lack of mass (weight)
Some works just need to be made on bigger machines.

Pablo

Last edited:

PhotonFanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks, will and PEU, for the suggestions. The set-up I was using was a four-jaw chuck mounted on and indexing head. In fact the workpiece was extended a fair bit from the chuck jaws, not to mention that the chuck was extended from the indexing head, so I think that will hit the nail on the head.

The tool was wicked sharp, so that wasn't part of the problem, nor was it sticking out from its collet in the headstock. I did have to rotate the workpiece by hand, and perhaps I just need to go slower, as well as figure out how to get it into the chuck further.

While I know, theoretically, how to grind a face grooving tool, I really didn't want to make one for such a tight, small groove, so I bought one instead. I may just give making one myself a shot, however.

Kenster: Yeah, buying a new tool is pretty much a commonplace occurence around here. :D

TranquillityBase

Flashlight Enthusiast
Griz said:
Hang in there Fred, you're doing real good for just starting out.
As for busted tooling...get used to it. You'll break less tooling as you gain experience. It's just part of the learning process.
Keep posting pictures, I'm having fun watching your progress.
Ditto...

Full profile cuts are very chatter prone...You could try flipping the tool upside down and cutting from the opposite side.

TB

Anglepoise

Flashlight Enthusiast
Without seeing photos, its a bit of guess work.
But face grooving should not give too many problems.
One thing to watch for is the diameter of the groove must match the tooling.
You buy the insert and it usually tells you that it will work on a certain size of groove.

Now in the case of the photo above, it looks like the face groove is close to 3/8th inch diameter. Now the tool to cut that would have a curve ground into the tool to closely match the final groove. If the sides of the tool were straight......instant breakage.