Leatherman Skeletool

IcantC

Enlightened
Looking to buy one soon, anyone here get one? Just wondering how easy/fast can the blade be accessed? It says one handed operation, but does it work as well as a folding knife?

Pher

Newly Enlightened
Well if anyone wants to buy a skeletool Moontrail.com has 2 in stock. The one I ordered should come today :party:so im keepin my fingers crossed.

Pher

Newly Enlightened
I just got my skeletool.:party:Id say the quality is excellent.The tool feels pretty durable.The bit driver I would say is better than the waves. The bits lock into place well and the extra bit stays in very nicely.The blade is about the size of the waves but it curves more and is a little smaller.The blade is about the same sharpness as the Waves. The pliers are not as durable as the bigger Leathermans, but they seem more durable than the juices.The pliers give a nice click when opened. The carabiner is very springy. I havent tried it on a bottle yet but it seems that it would work well.The pocket clip is pretty good but could have been a little sturdier.
All in all, Id say the tool gets a 9 out of 10 for me. I'd also say its the nicest looking tool in the whole leatherman line.

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast
I ordered one last week from a dealer who said they had it in stock. Hopefully I'll have it in a few days. I've got a half dozen or so Leathermen and look forward to trying out the Skeletool too.

Valpo Hawkeye

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just picked one up from the Cabela's in Hammond, IN. Overall, a nice tool. Haven't gotten to play with it much yet (picked it up on the way to the auto show and just got back). First impression, though, is that it's a winner.

cougar_67

Newly Enlightened
A few weeks ago I bought a Charge ALX and a Skeletool CX. They had the Charge in stock, but backorderd the Skeletool (as expected).
Their website shows "available mid February", so I called them to be sure they still had my order - and to see if there's any update on when the CX would be available.
... They told me that there's been a recall of the CX due to some problem with the handles. No further info is available on either the recall or when they'll be shipping. So, it looks like availability of the Skeletool CX is up in the air for now.

Steve

cougar_67

Newly Enlightened
I just got off the phone with Leatherman customer service. They expect to start shipping the Skeletool CX the first of March. All orders to suppliers will ship "first in, first out".
The woman I spoke with stated that were some quality control issues with some of the material they received for the CX.

So, it looks like it'll be another few weeks folks.

Steve

(hey, I know Valpo! I used to live there when I was a kid)

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I got my Skeletool today, and I wasn't terribly impressed. I had high hopes for this new Leatherman, and have been let down. Don't get me wrong, it appears to be a very high quality tool, it just makes too many compromises for me, and isn't much of a tool for the money. Definitely not worth the $60 I paid for it, IMO it should be going for something like $30-35. I've been using Leatherman tools for more than ten years, and currently own a PST-II, Sideclip, Wave (original), Crunch, Kick, Mini-tool, and Squirt P4.

Probably my biggest complaint with the Skeletool is that it is large and heavy for what you're getting, namely a very minimal tool set and a medium sized pliers. The Skeletool is about the same size as the Kick (which I prefer, especially for $21 at WalMart), and a little larger than my Sideclip and PST-II, yet has a pliers that is noticeably smaller than any of the other full-sized Leatherman multi-tools. For a pliers of this size, I would expect a tool that was at least an ounce lighter and 1/2" to 3/4" shorter. They could have easily accomplished this by leaving off the clip/bottle opener. If I need to clip a Leatherman to something, I can attach a mini-clip to a small lanyard ring, and I haven't used a bottle opener in years, I use a can-opener much more often (I can use a P38 or P51 to open cans easily enough though).

My favorite Leatherman is still the discontinued Sideclip, which I've owned for more than five years.
http://www.leatherman.com/products/tools/retired-tools/sideclip/default.asp
It has every tool I use in a multitool for 95% of my needs, and it is compact and lightweight. I've never been a big fan of bit holders, and while the Skeletool seems to have implemented one better than some, I'm still not convinced of their usefulness over a good fixed driver which won't get lost. Although several of my multi-tools have knife blades that can open with the handles closed, as does the Skeletool, I've never found this to be a big attraction, as I always carry a good knife with me, in addition to a multi-tool.

It might seem like I came down hard on the Skeletool, but it really wasn't what I had hoped for and expected, and doesn't have the features and dimensions I want/need in a multitool. It may serve others just fine though, and it is a quality tool for what it does have to offer. If you need the clip, don't carry an additional knife, and don't need a full-sized pliers, than the Skeletool may be just fine. For me though, I think I'll look on ebay for another Sideclip, just in case something happens to mine.

IcantC

Enlightened
Wow that sucks and thanks for the review. I planned to buy it needing mainly minimal tools(knife, screw driver and pliers). Hmmm

spoonrobot

Enlightened

Why did you buy the Skeletool?

It seems like it doesn't really have any features you want and was the wrong tool for you from the start. The dimensions and weight have been available for a long time and comparison pictures have been posted in a few different places.

General consensus from most users I've seen has been that the tool is a good item and fills a niche that a lot of users needed.

Wow that sucks and thanks for the review. I planned to buy it needing mainly minimal tools(knife, screw driver and pliers). Hmmm

None of the actual implements were reviewed by the poster.

Here's a much better overview of the tool:

http://skeletool.tommunch.com/

IcantC

Enlightened
Read a few more reviews, seems like it should be ok for me. I need minimal tools. The website linked on first page is all out. Hopefully they have more in next week. Not to mention free shipping and holster.

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why did you buy the Skeletool?......Here's a much better overview of the tool:
Wow, I gave my opinion of the tool, is my opinion wrong? Is your opinion better? We are all entitled to our own views of things around here, just because we don't agree, doesn't invalidate one person's viewpoint or make another one's superior.

Why did I buy it? Why do I own so many flashlights? I like Leatherman tools, I thought I'd give this one a try. I did read the review you linked to before I bought it, and I thought I'd give it a chance. Sometimes reading reviews and looking at specs don't mean nearly as much as actually using something and handling it in person.

As I said in my brief review, it doesn't exactly meet my expectations or what I want in a multitool, but it may be just fine for others. Understand now?

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well if you dont like it I'm sure you can turn it around at B/S/T here pretty quick given its limited avaliability right now.

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
I picked one up.

I like the design, but QC is horrible: tooling marks, casting marks (there's small pits in some of the cast parts), some parts aren't aligned, and worst of all, the liner lock on the blade contacts only about 50% of the blade tang's opposite side, which is dangerous.

I'm going to ship it to Leatherman with a note and see if they can clean it up.

--dan