LED lights with selector RING as a user interface?

325addict

Enlightened
Although I'm an incan fan in the first place, I'm using LED lights occasionally too, for a number of reasons, one of which is the fact LEDs can be dimmed very easily without problems like a huge loss in efficiency, constantly changing color temperatures etc etc.
What is more than once annoying to me, is the user interface of those LED lights. Until now, there's just one I like, because it's pure genius, simple and automatically remembers the last setting: simply because you just turned that selector ring to that setting! So, the one and only LED light that makes it to my holidays is the Surefire U2 Ultra. For most applications, it is good, but for one, even the lowest setting (2 Lumens) is TOO BRIGHT: try to turn it on with your completely to the night adapted eyes and <OUCH!> that's BRIGHT! The harsh blueish color of the light doesn't add to this also.
So: what I'm looking for is a light with a selector ring like the U2 has, but with the possibility to bring it down even lower than 2 Lumens. If I only had known that this would be so difficult, I would have bought the original T1 which had a continuously variable output from 1 to, IIRC, 80 Lumens or so... more than that is absolutely unnessecary for me. The low-end is the problem, not the high-end. 50 Lumens easily does all jobs for me.
Any good recommendations?? And yes, such a recommendation includes someone who is willing to sell his/her original T1 Titan as this one seems to be ideal: it has a selector ring and goes from ZERO(!) Lumens to 65 Lumens.:thinking:

JLeephoto

Newly Enlightened
I asked a similar question recently. The options seemed to be the Sunwayman V11R, the Nitecore SR series, and the HDS Rotary. I came away wanting the HDS but not quite willing to lay down that much $$$.

Paul6ppca

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think jetbeam rrt01 and nite eye will fit you needs,I have the jetbeam ,it has a variable ring ,on low it barly lites uo the led.Hopefully it wont be to touch for low lumens. Also nitcore has some older models.The jetbeam may not be easy to find,maybe ebay or ocerseas site may still stock them.
Another option is HDA rotary,I don't own one but it may go as low as you want.

Nitcore has SRT5 18650 battery that goes .1 to 750 lumes and has a red and blue led.
SRT 3 is AA or cr123 size with 550 lumens to .1

Last edited:

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
SF T1A is my most often used light at hime for exactly the reason you state.
I have tried a lot of ;lights and the Titan just goes to a more usable lower level than any of them.
This includes the HDS Rotary,V11r,SRT-3 and RRT-0 though I would buy another RRT if I come across one too.

The ZL will all go lower but those at these levels are actually too low to use and almost too low to even see? For me at least the T1A rules!

The Peak might go this low but it is impossible to predict or duplicate a level from use to use on any of mine.:thinking:

BLUE LED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wait for the Nitecore SRT-7 GT or try to obtain a Sunwayman V10R

CobraMan

Newly Enlightened
And if you don't want multiple emitters go with the Nitecore SRT6. If you want more compact size and are willing to do some searching the older IFE2 (18650 or 2xCR123A) or IFE1 (1xCR123A) are both great as well. I love how Nitecore have implemented the variable adjustment ring and how they go down to fractions of a lumen at the lowest - I probably have more of their lights than any other manufacturer. There are some Jetbeam lights along these lines as well - the TCR20 is still available if you look and it is titanium if you want something more exotic.

Cheers,
Tim

JLeephoto

Newly Enlightened
SF T1A is my most often used light at hime for exactly the reason you state.

The ZL will all go lower but those at these levels are actually too low to use and almost too low to even see?:thinking:

I went with the ZL52w for now and have learned to like the UI that allows you to hit any of the 3 programmed levels instantly with a true moonlight mode and great tint. Would still prefer a tail mounted rotary but this is pretty nice once you get used to it.

Luxrider

Newly Enlightened
I have an srt 7 and use it practically every day. Have had this light for several years now. Absolutely no trouble recommending it. The gt looks like a nice upgrade this year.

zs&tas

Flashlight Enthusiast
The one I use , my most used light, and probe the most compact 18650 one is the sunwayman v25c. Or the older v20 .