LEO Duty Light

ToNIX

Enlightened
I went with the eagletac t20c2 mkII. Ill let you know what I think once it arrives and I get some use out of it. :twothumbs

I'm looking forward to your opinion on the light, thanks :D

I decided to get a TK11 R5, but it's still back ordered.

pwalters

Newly Enlightened
So far I am very impressed with this light. The UI is easy enough to get use to quickly. I like having the option of strobe, but also the ability to deactivate to prevent accidental usage. I took the rubber cigar style anti roll piece off along with the pocket clip to get it to fit my bianchi accumold elite light holster. It fits snugly in it, but sometimes gets snagged during removal due to the uneven body of the light with the anti roll ring taken off. The low mode is puts out a good amount of light but not enough to ruin your night vision. Overall I am very happy with the balance of throw and flood this light puts out.:thumbsup:

pwalters

Newly Enlightened
Well BAD:scowl: news. After a few months of service the flashlight began to turn off and back on when ever it was moved quickly or slightly shaken. Last week during a search of a car it simply turned off and will not turn back on. I have contacted EagleTac four days ago via there stupid form on their website and have yet to receive a reply. I AM NOT PLEASED.:fail: This light has never been abused in the slightest. EagleTac better make this right, working without my light is less than favorable or safe.

(EagleTac t20 mkII)

ToNIX

Enlightened
Well BAD:scowl: news. After a few months of service the flashlight began to turn off and back on when ever it was moved quickly or slightly shaken. Last week during a search of a car it simply turned off and will not turn back on. I have contacted EagleTac four days ago via there stupid form on their website and have yet to receive a reply. I AM NOT PLEASED.:fail: This light has never been abused in the slightest. EagleTac better make this right, working without my light is less than favorable or safe.

(EagleTac t20 mkII)

Sad to hear this.

I switched to the Malkoff MD2/M61 with high-low ring since then. It's the perfect duty light! However, I'll try to get my hands on a M61W soon. From what I gathered, it's still as bright but the color rendition is better.

If you want any more information on the light, let me know!

sfca

Enlightened

(EagleTac t20 mkII)

Make sure you try the Eagletac USA site.
http://www.eagletac-usa.com/

lebox97

Enlightened
sounds like the switch ring has loosened in the tail cap?

pull the tail cap and look inside - you'll see two small holes, using o-ring pliers, needle nose pliers, tweezers, or even a bent large paper clip - make sure the switch retaining ring is snug tight:
with the MKII series this switch retaining ring is reverse threaded (righty/clockwise is loosey, lefty/counterclockwise is tighty)

this is a common problem with most lights - ones that have a switch tail cap - and happens over time from frequent battery changing -
this why ET reverse threaded the MKII ring to minimize the problem...

part of routine maintenance should be to make sure the ring is tight - otherwise you will have the erratic switching as described.

if that does not resolve problem then either the switch itself or the module has gone bad...
contact your place of purchase, Mike@PTS-ET USA, or me and we'll take care of it for you.

Stay Safe
Tod

(EagleTac t20 mkII)

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not throwing stones in any particular direction.

Always carry a backup - either on your person or in proximity (your car, trunk, whatever.)

There's always a chance the best light in the world can fail - if it does, move to plan B while you sort out plan A.

-Trevor

pd417

Newly Enlightened
Twenty five years as a cop and I've carried one light since day one, a Streamlight SL-20X. Not fancy, no exotic electronics, but it's big, heavy and save my a** countless times in many a fight. A good portion of the black anodizing has worn off and I can tell you exactly where each one of the scratches and gouges came from. I've had numerous partners, but only one light and there's no way I'll part with it. This light has history.

Not to mention, it's got two really useful modes: on & off.

Good luck in your search and stay safe...

NotRegulated

Flashlight Enthusiast
pd417,
When I saw this was your first post I just had to acknowledge you formally.

WELCOME TO CPF!

Good advice you give. Stick around and shed your experience from time to time.

Mine is an SL-20 bought in 1982. It too is all gouged/nicked up with stories for each gouge! After many bulbs and batteries it still works great! However, with the tremendous growth of superbright LED's to upgrade small lightweight flashlights, I also pack a Surefire Z2 or often a Surefire 9P with primary batteries permanently on the belt. This way I find myself never without a light when I most need one.

workingmids

Newly Enlightened
Strion LED (rechargeable, 3 levels and double click for strobe) as regular belt carry, Surefire E1B as backup, Streamlight SL20X or Catapult V2 as door knocker. Catapult is new but the others have been 100% reliable in daily use.

pd417

Newly Enlightened
pd417,
When I saw this was your first post I just had to acknowledge you formally.

WELCOME TO CPF!

Good advice you give. Stick around and shed your experience from time to time.

Mine is an SL-20 bought in 1982. It too is all gouged/nicked up with stories for each gouge! After many bulbs and batteries it still works great! However, with the tremendous growth of superbright LED's to upgrade small lightweight flashlights, I also pack a Surefire Z2 or often a Surefire 9P with primary batteries permanently on the belt. This way I find myself never without a light when I most need one.

Thanks for the ack, much appreciated.

Capt. Nemo

Newly Enlightened
New to the forum, but not new to [duty] lights. Thought I'd share my set-up and what I've learned:

Concerning lights, from day one it was drilled into our heads that "Two is one and one is none". Meaning, better have a back-up. There is no perfect duty light, but having a few good lights for different purposes will go a long way.

On my vest I carry a Quiqlite in the front pocket http://www.quiqlite.com/ . This light probably sees the most use, believe it or not. It has two bulbs, one white LED and one UV LED. The UV is used for ID's and the white is used for filling out paperwork, notes, "36" cards, etc. The little swivel feature is nice, as it can be tilted up and used to go through my duty bag without the vehicle dome light (I HATE DOME LIGHTS!!!).

My back-up light sits in a custom pouch on my vest right next to the taser. That is a Surefire Centurion C2. I have never needed it, but I know it will work when I need it (tested the first night of the work week). Lumen rating isn't the highest, but it's my backup.

On my belt I carry my Blackhawk Gladius. Couple of reasons: I got a rockin' deal on it at the time, ease of operation, and all of our "SWAT" guys carry them. The "SWAT" guys go through lots of gear to find what works best and have landed on this light. I like the fact the button makes no noise and is easy to use. I use this light to illuminate vehicles and for small tasks not requiring long periods of illumination.

In my vehicle map pocket I keep my trusty Streamlight SL-20. The thing is a great all around light and is rechargeable. I use it for longer lighting tasks such as looking for shell casings, blood trails, scene security, traffic, etc. It's easy to use, hard to lose, and dependable.

On my Glock 21 I have mounted a Streamlight TL-1. Got a good deal on that as well, otherwise would recommend the Surefire handgun lights. I have seen a few guys TL-1's switches go bad after a few years use. Also, the Surefire's mount is easy to use, the Streamlight's has to be tightened with a knob.

My AR-15 will have an Inforce light on it when I scrape together the money. They are light (not heavy) and throw a good amount of light down range. One of our rifle instructors has the rail mounts custom made so that the light mount has a slight slope so that the beam of light and point of aim meet at exactly 50 yards.

My take on weapons lights:

If working nights, they are a must. Yes there are all the hand held techniques, but having a free hand is key:
-Clearing a house and entering a room where the 3 SP's are hiding in a closet. Partner took the 10% and I'm facing a three to one situation. I yell for my partner and can clear on the radio while keeping the SP's at gunpoint and illuminated. Try clearing on the radio, holding a gun, and holding a flashlight.
-Clearing vehicle trunks. Partner pops the button in the vehicle since the key doesn't work. I can open the lid with one hand and have the gun and light on with the other.
-Clearing trash cans/recycle bins/dumpsters - same as above.

My take on strobing features:

If there is other ambient light (building lights, street lights) they don't work well. In CQB situations in complete darkness, they are effective. I use my strobe for mainly one function - signaling our Air Unit. That strobe has never been missed when they come overhead asking for our location. A quick burst with the strobe and they have locked on our position. Is it a must - no, but a nice feature.

That's all. Hope this helps. I'm very particular when it comes to gear that I have to depend on and have spent [wasted] lots of money finally ending up with the lights that work best for me. Oh, and having a flashlight that cuts through vehicle tint - that's called the spotlight on your vehicle. :twothumbs

prop

Newly Enlightened
Well BAD:scowl: news. After a few months of service the flashlight began to turn off and back on when ever it was moved quickly or slightly shaken. Last week during a search of a car it simply turned off and will not turn back on.

Good thing it didnt happen whilie performing a critical task.

Im an LEO in a european city, and i started out by carrying a 6PL. Ive since upgraded to a Z2 with a Malkoff M61 in a Surefire V70 holster. As a back up i carry the little Surefire E1B in my jacket or in my pants cargo pocket.

So far ive been happy with the combo. Theyre small, lightweight yet robust lights. Only downside is that they go through batteries pretty fast. Our department has started to issue us LedLensers, but im sticking with my SF's, even though im paying for the batts.

recDNA

Flashaholic
Keeping it simple is the best way to go IMO...

I use a Malkoff MD2 with a Malkoff M60W drop-in. Either 2XCR123 or an AW18650 in the tank. Works perfectly with the duty Surefire G2/6P holster.

I've also used Surefire 6P and G2 bodies but always with some type of Malkoff drop-in... Small enough to carry on the belt without paying for it in weight and its heavy enough to use as an impact weapon in the hand.

One thing that I'd like to see more lights use is a side-button switch, like the old Stingers. Works better for me generally when I've got my firearm out.

The OP said he wants strobe. No strobe in Malkoffs.

4Sevens Maelstrom meets all of his criteria.

Brigadier

Enlightened
I can strobe my SureFrie E2E/6P/M3/9AN's just fine with my thumb. Just ask my co-workers. :devil:

Keep is simple is good advice.