Light for bad hands

kmonroe

Newly Enlightened
) How would you prefer to purchase the light?
This will be mail-order or Online (location doesn't matter).

2) Budget: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)
Up to $200.

3) Format:
I want a flashlight (hand held/self contained).

4) Size:
SMALL - Every day carry (4-7 inches).

5) Emitter/Light source:
LED (known for efficiency, longevity, and compactness)

6) Manufacturer:
I want to buy a light from a large/traditional manufacturer that is ready to go out of the box.

7) What power source do you want to use?
I intend to use Rechargeable cells (NiMH or NiCD) based on the usual AA sized cells common to most stores. I have a bunch of rechargeable AA cells.

7a) If you have selected a rechargeable option
I don't care - I have a good standalone battery charger.

8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is not a happy experience).
I want an indoor "blackout" light (15-50 lumens)

9) Flood vs Throw: Flood covers an area, Throw reaches out to a distance.
Narrow Flood: I want a sharply defined flood area that will project some distance for tasks like trail walking.

9a) Distance: How far away will you typically need to see with this light (check all that apply)
5-20 yards/meters (check out a noise in the backyard)

10) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims, but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries (Measured on maximum continuous output).
30-60 minutes (I have plenty of batteries just ready to be changed)

11) Durability/Usage: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.
Very Important (Camping, Backpacking, Car Glove-box).

12) Switch Size, Type, and location (choose all that apply):
I need a BIG switch (I'll be using gloves or have very large hands or coordination issues).
I want a body mounted switch (near the head, like on a Maglite).

13) User Interface (UI) and mode selection. Select all that apply.

A simple on-off with only one output level is fine for me.
I want 2 light levels. (Brighter/short runtime and Dimmer/long runtime.)

14)Material/Finish/Coating
Anodized Aluminum – either type II or III (Hard Anodized) (Aluminum, specifically HA, is the most common material/finish for today's higher end flashlights).

15) Water resistance
IPX4 (Splash resistant)

16) Storage conditions
In house (temperature/climate controlled environment)

17) Special Needs/extras: Is there anything else you want or need that hasn't been mentioned? Select any/all below.
This is for a person with severe hand problems due to arthritis. A 2AA-sized body fits well along with an easy to use side button.

Sos24

Enlightened
Zebralight and Olight tend to be two of the popular brands with side switch. Recommend check out the Zebralight SC53 or Olight S1A.

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
Energizer Hardcase 2AA Tasklight.

Side button is very easy to use. Simple High->Medium->Off interface. Durable. Maybe $16 at a hardware store.

It's not a thrower, but plenty bright to see across your yard at night.

--flatline

Olight and Zebralight have great brightness and programming, with ZL being very customizable.

BUTTON ergos on Zebralights are so much better (operate with gloves on, etc), they really aren't in same ballpark.