Light for Nighttime Small Watercraft Navigation

kestrel452

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys, I've been looking for a flashlight to use on a 12 or 14 foot fishing boat to help locate harbors, landmarks, above water debris/obstructions, and pretty much anything else you'd need a light for while navigating a small watercraft in the pitch black of night. I don't need anything crazy expensive, just something battery powered and handheld that throws out a lot of light. Preferably something durable enough I could rely on to work when i need it to, and can easily change the intensity settings on.

I've looked at both the Fenix TK61 and TK41. The TK61 looks a bit large to be held comfortably in one's hand, and the more compact TK41 only falls short slightly of the 61's output (1000 vs 900 lumens). Any help is greatly appreciated :)

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Fenix lights are good throwers for the money.

Whatever you choose, make sure you get a LANYARD for it so you can clip it to yourself so if you drop it over the side, it isn't lost forever. :)

Throwjunkie

Enlightened
I have 2 lights on my boat and I do a lot of night time Bass fishing. one if for throw so I can see across the water as far as possible the other is more of a flood light for the thrower I was using Deere lights DBS model I carry the normal head and aspheric may be swapping it out because I just got the new Olight M2X-UT and it throws light like a laser beam its pretty small using one 18650 cell easy as pie Mode changes and a neck lanyard included in the box. for my flood light I stripped out an old KC light from my truck and installed a 35W HID system I put the light on a swivel seat pole and put it in the seat holes on the deck I can turn the light in any direction I want and its a great forward light when I'm traveling across the water. I have a dedicated deep cycle battery for the light.

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've looked at both the Fenix TK61 and TK41. The TK61 looks a bit large to be held comfortably in one's hand, and the more compact TK41 only falls short slightly of the 61's output (1000 vs 900 lumens). Any help is greatly appreciated :)

Overall length of the TK41 to TK61 is pretty close. The TK61 has a large diameter head, almost three times the size of the TK41.

I have two TK41'a and really light this light. Running 8 AA batteries yields long run times and is cheap to feed. If you go for the TK41, purchase some Eneloop batteries as alkaline batteries and water don't mix and will puke in your light.

The light I'd suggest to you though is the Acebeam K40M. Operates off of three 18650 batteries and runs about the same as the TK41.

CPF member Vinh54 modifies the K40M to produce lots of throw as well as lots of spill light. One light for both duties. Check out his sub forum below.

kestrel452

Newly Enlightened
The TK75 also looks like an interesting choice. What I need the light to do is act as a thrower to ID landmarks at a distance, but also provide a decent amount of spill in order to act as a functional "headlight". I have railblaza mounts on my boat, and my plan was to raise the flashlight up on a pole so it can shine forward at our path but not on the passengers.

It looks as if the TK75 provides more spill than the TK41, but it's also almost 3x as bright...

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
The only thrower I've personally owned has been the Armytek Barracuda. I've been happy with mine, so I'd suggest you take a look and see if you think it might fit the bill.

edited to add: for boat-mounted lighting for general navigation, check out the Rigid Industries line of LED light bars.

Last edited:

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
The TK75 also looks like an interesting choice. What I need the light to do is act as a thrower to ID landmarks at a distance, but also provide a decent amount of spill in order to act as a functional "headlight". I have railblaza mounts on my boat, and my plan was to raise the flashlight up on a pole so it can shine forward at our path but not on the passengers.

It looks as if the TK75 provides more spill than the TK41, but it's also almost 3x as bright...

Rather than a flashlight, suggesting that there are sealed LED modules for boating. They range from maybe 5 watts to over 3,000 watts. Beam width angle ranges from 10 degrees to maybe 40 or so and some modules combine different focus options in one array.

Does the boat have an electrical system to speak of?

kestrel452

Newly Enlightened
Rather than a flashlight, suggesting that there are sealed LED modules for boating. They range from maybe 5 watts to over 3,000 watts. Beam width angle ranges from 10 degrees to maybe 40 or so and some modules combine different focus options in one array.

Does the boat have an electrical system to speak of?

No, it's just an inflatable Zodiac. Anything electrical has to have its own power source, forward illumination included.

NotSoBrightBob

Newly Enlightened
+1 for the TK75.

IMHO the TK75 is the big brother to the TK61, in cost, size and output so that comes down to your budget and how big a light you want to handle.

The plus for the TK41 is as others mention the convenience of AA battery size but on a Zodiac I doubt you're carrying alot of extra supplies so the typical 18650 format brings longer run times.

The disadvantage to just starting out with the 18650 is investing in the cells and a charger. Figure $13 +/- for a good quality cell (each) and $25 +/- for a good quality charger.

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
A lot of love for the TK75 going on in here. Any for the Thrunite TN35?

Thrunite TN35 is a 3 cell light powered by the MT-G2 emitter which doesn't have the throw of the XM-L2 emitter used by the TK75. The TN35 magnetic control ring has good and bad going for it.

The TK75 having the ability to use the extended run time kit is a big plus. Fenix has a very good reputation.

Razorhog

Newly Enlightened

I just wanted to say that you probably won't be able to tell a difference between 1000 and 900 lumens. Just going on what I've read here.

thepit56

Newly Enlightened
I use a tk41 and a zl headlamp for kayaking. The tk41 has a great range for slow kayak speeds, but in a fixed position it wasn't really useful because the spill doesn't cover your field of view. I use the all flood headlamp for general navigation and only breakout the tk41 to see farther out.

What Vampires was saying makes sense, I don't have experience with them but I'd be surprised if there wasn't a specialty lighting product designed for zodiacs.

On a side note, I found NW tints make it easier to distinguish mud from water. You may not have to worry about that but with the exception of the tn35 the lights listed here were on the cool side.

swan

Banned
I have the fenix tk75 and the thrunite tn32 which i use to steer my quintrex tinnie thru the dark on the mighty Macleay river. When you are out on river at night, 1000 lumens seems not as bright as in the lounge room.