Light with throwy flood

JoeRodge

Newly Enlightened
I was surprised by how much throw the Emisar D4S had. At 300 feet I feel like the D1S woul have decent spill as well.

Phaetos

Enlightened
Understood. Then, I would agree with @Keitho ...

... but, if you are really set on single mode, you could try asking @vinhnguyen54 if he could do a custom D1vn with that UI for you.

If you don't mind the more complex standard UI, the base "vn" SST40 upgrade to the stock D1 kicks it up to 1900 lm / 470 m throw.

I do think that you would prefer the D1(vn) over the D1S(vn) , in terms of beam shape.

that looks perfect. I'll message him. Thanks.

Phaetos

Enlightened
I would very much recommend getting a Convoy L6 for 64.00 from a US seller like Mountain Electronics so you can have it in 3 days or so. I cant think of more light for the money. 4000+ actual lumens is pretty nice as well.

Also, If you are looking for considerably more throw and a bit smaller I'd get the Thrunite catapult v6.

well, I ordered the Thrunite Catapult V6 after watching several YouTube reviews and comparisons. It just seemed to be the option, plus there's a 5% code on thrunites website. It'll be here in a few days.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the definition of "throwy flood" differ between different users. But according to my idea of what it means(to meet OPs desire) some of my proposals are:

*Malkoff Hound Dog
*Armytek Viking Pro v3 XHP50
*Thrunite TN35
*Nitecore SR mini Intimidator

ChattanoogaPhil

Newly Enlightened
I have a Streamlight Stinger HPL that I use for similar purposes and walking the dog at night.
It's a full size handheld light that well fits your criteria.
800 lumen with excellent throw and spill for the distances you describe.
One click high. One click off (or you can hold down the button for low and med). I only use the one click high and one click off like you prefer. Thumb button right where it should be.

It's particularly handy hanging by the back door. Always ready, fully charged and where I need it when I need it. Being full size it's easy to handle and never gets hot. Well worth considering for the purposes you describe.

https://www.streamlight.com/docs/de...tingerhpl-stingerdshpl_datasheet.pdf?sfvrsn=4

aQUm8SA.jpg

Last edited:

ChattanoogaPhil

Newly Enlightened
Well, for me, 450 measured out-the-front real lumens is ... a lot :shrug:

How many lumens do you need, or want ?

It is a lot of lumens. I have a 400 lumen Malkoff MD2. Very nice.

However, here's the difference in relation to the OP. At distances the OP is describing, the MD2 will illuminate the tree line. The 800 lumen Streamlight (above) will illuminate the tree line and shadows inside the tree line where the MD2 does not. That can be of significant benefit for the OP wanting to identify predators inside the tree line.

23alg69.jpg

Last edited:

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know...I think that a floody light with throw would be more suitable. :naughty:

archimedes

Flashaholic
Save up for a Malkoff ?

M61 ~ 300' ~ $115
M61T ~ 450' ~ $140
M61HOT ~ 600' ~ $150
HD ~ 1000' ~ $190
SHD ~ 1500' ~ $270

I realize these are over budget, but it should be a "buy once" item ....

EDIT ... to add that the M61 and the HD, from the above list, will most closely match the beam shape you want ;)

It is a lot of lumens. I have a 400 lumen Malkoff MD2. Very nice.

However, here's the difference in relation to the OP. At distances the OP is describing, the MD2 will illuminate the tree line. The 800 lumen Streamline (above) will illuminate the tree line and shadows inside the tree line where the MD2 does not. That can be of significant benefit for the OP wanting to identify predators inside the tree line....

My reason for listing the MD2 was primarily to provide a less expensive option, given OP budget.

Of the above list of Malkoffs, for this purpose, my own preference would be the Hound Dog (and for the reasons you note)

Also, I think that lux may be a more relevant measure than lumens in this particular situation. My point regarding the lumens was that ~ 500-ish lumens can be plenty for this purpose, if appropriately "throwy"

Last edited:

Fresh Light

Enlightened
I think the Cat 6 will work out well for you. Its one of Vihns favorite lights too he called it "thrower perfection". Plus it's one of the few lights he's tested that was under rated in it's specs as he tested it to be 1900L 170k lux. I wouldn't say it has floody throw, but it'll certainly have some spill and manage to put a lot of light far downrange. More spill than a superthrower like a thrunite tn42. I've been using my tn32 for that midrange throw and spill mix. Much heavier light though.

Last edited:

Phaetos

Enlightened
The catapult just came in about 30 mins ago. Toyed with it a few minutes and put it on for full charge. The light is currently red, about how long does it take and should I use a low amp wall wart or a full spec 2.4A charger?