Lights that are outdated yet you still want for "nostalgic" purposes?

Marlite

Enlightened
Interesting thread. :thumbsup:

Here's my contribution:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/1910137&postcount=86
_

Burgess you're just an incurable romantic.

I have an Eveready Captain that I got from my Mom when I gave her my brightest CMG Infinity Ultra in 2004. It's till on orig. battery. Mom went and got a silver 2C Eveready Captain. She said it never works "I put in new batteries and the bulb is dead. When I put in a new bulb the batteries are dead." My Eveready Captain is Identical to the one on Mr. Light's pic on the far left and I use a 2C Maglite LED bulb but want a Dorcy but they only ship to US.

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/1614671&postcount=291

Mom has a large old style 6 volt lantern w/large reflector. Carries an Arc clone FL 319 (loves it) with split ring clipped to the inside of her vest, sweater or jacket with a safety pin and a backup is a DX Fauton. Notice the covert action, saying "I don't want anyone to know I carry a flashlight they may think it's strange".

Older than dirt.

The 8th Man

Newly Enlightened
I too have a few oldies that I would never get rid of, Arc LS , Arc 4+ and a NightCutter P20 are just a few, I think that even with all the newer lights like the jetbeams and others the old ones still have a place, one thing is that I find most of those old lights have a nicer beam, up close you don't have those ugly rings or other types of distractions to take away from it.

They really are like old cars or bikes in a way, classics that have earned the right to be part of any era, (even if they can't take on the current trend of high performance lights which we all love to buy.)

Centropolis

Enlightened
I guess it depends on what outdated means? If they still sell them new but with older technology, it is outdated? Or does it have to be ones that they don't sell anymore?

I am relatively new to this flashaholic thing so the best ones I have are my two SF E1Es.....15 lumens of incan power but it is still the best looking flashlights out there I think. But they still sell them.

yowzer

Enlightened
As long as it produces enough light for enough time for what you're doing, is any light really outdated? Surpassed by newer technology, maybe, but it's still a perfectly good usable tool even if it doesn't have the latest XO-X led in it.

Vikas Sontakke

Enlightened
I have got an Arc AAA, an Mr Bulk's LGI and non-HA-III Fenix. By today's standard they are all ancient.

- Vikas

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
The first TIR Surfire L1... It had 22 lumens on high, and a great 1.1 lumens on low. I wish they'd give the new version a low setting like that...

headophile

Enlightened
surefire 6p original.

this is a must-have classic for me and is probably the only other surefire light i'm interested in besides the m6. of course i'll mod it with a nice warm q3 3a/5a tint emitter and it will be outdated no more :D

geoffg

Newly Enlightened
I am going to treat myself to an incan Maglite 2xAA to remind myself just how bad the best flashlights were 20 years ago

vb14

Newly Enlightened
Surefire L2... and I keep it not for "nostalgic" reason, but because I still haven't found a worthy replacement (UI and beam pattern).

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
There was a 2xAA '50s era military issue light for pilots that I used to use on ships in the '80s. It was a 222 screw base incan (of course) and had a red lens that slid over the beam when needed. Kinda dopey but hey, it's nostalga. If I had one I'd put one of Tektite's LED 222s into it and.....keep it around.

I don't have a make of a model number for it but I did see a pic of one in a Moscow Cold War museum -- Francis Gary Powers had it in his pocket when his U2 was shot down May 1, 1960.

mightysparrow

Enlightened
1. JetBeam Jet I Stealth Version (no trit slots): great shape, set trends, still works great and produces beautiful beam.

2. 1960's-era official Boy Scout 2xD angle-head flashlight, olive drab with Scout logo embossed on the tube (see my avatar).

3. 2xAA Mini-mag incan, black. My best flashlight in Sept., 2001, when I used it throughout a trip to South Africa. Vital in the Kalahari Desert.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
My Inova X1 Gen. 2 model.

There are lights out there now that are brighter, with longer runtimes. But when Quickbeam first posted that the Gen. 3 model had slightly more output at greatly reduced runtime, I went out to Target; and bought a Gen. 2 model before they sold out. I'm glad I did. Only very recently did Inova get rid of that God-awful Gen. 3 version.

It might be outdated, but I'm keeping it.

xcel730

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been buying some of the older Peak lights recently.

I've also been interested in purchasing some really vintage lights ... early to mid 1900s Everyreadys, Burgess, Winchester, etc.

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
Surefire E2O.

7D Rayovac made of tin. Given to me by my grandfather.

Inova X1v2 isn't outdated, it's just discontinued. The X5 nontactical is outdated. The X5 pre-Nichia is outdated. The X1v2 is perfect as-is, and there's no equivalent replacement.

My first mini-mag.

Surefire 6r, made obsolete by the 8X. Made not obsolete by Malkoff Devices.

Arguably the 8-series Surefires, but they're still used as-is by their target markets, dated design or no.

The third-generation Inova X1 is outdated, but the second-gen isn't. Go figure.
No, don't go figure - the v3 is intended as a middleweight pocket light, and there's lots of other players in that market. The v2 is playing in a market with the CMG/Gerber Infinity, the E01, the Arc, and maybe Photons and TiKeys if you see them like that.

Last edited:

youreacrab

Enlightened
define outdated? pretty much all my surefire's are outdated in terms of emitter technology (most, even when new), but i'll keep them anyway.

BigBluefish

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've still got my 1980s vintage 3-C Maglite, though I put a TerraLux in it.

And I still really like my little Civictor.