List the flashlights that did not meet your expectations.

Enlightened
2007 Inova T4: Nicely built light, very rugged. Li-Ion is a plus. I am disappointed at the output of the light even though it's a K2. I guess I was expecting way too much.

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Inova X0? X1? - sitting in pieces after I tore it apart to try making it useful. MDXL AAA light - didn't expect much but it was really poor quality.

Toohotruk

Flashlight Enthusiast
River Rock 2AA because of it's weird "moon" beam...too bad, the fit and finish are excellent on this light. And it's a very good looking light as well, love the color.

The Streamlight TwinTask 1L I just bought today...dimmer than expected Xenon with a blob for a hot spot, less than impressive throw and a dim spill...LEDs are too purple with a sick looking greenish corona and having to click it through it's modes to shut it off...one click for Xenon, two for LED, then three gets you back to Xenon and four finally shuts it off. I'm actually more impressed with the 1AA Cree I got from Kai Domain for $10!

Maybe it's due to my getting used to my SF 6P...the SL TT 1L has nowhere near the output of the 6P.

IMSabbel

Enlightened
arewethereyetdad said:
nerdgineer, before continuing your Peak bashing, you might want to check out Peak's newer offerings, such as the Caribbean. Not sure who's calling the McKinley a "premium" light, as you state. That is an older design that I expect Peak will eventually phase out. The newer model Peaks like the Caribbean, Pacific, Baltic, etc. are far better, more efficient, and way more powerful.
When i bought one, it cost $50, for a 5mm light. Thats premium from my POV.

erdit: Ugh. I should take a look at the date of the post i reply to...

Last edited:

CLHC

Flashaholic
The following flashlights listed below, did I find to be unsatisfactory for my personal lighting uses, probably due to being spoiled by my other flashlights that—in my opinion—produced a better overall light output, color, etc. That's all.

Gerber CMG Infinity Ultra

Inova XO, X1, X5

Russianesq

Enlightened
Streamlight 3C-XP - the LED is so low that it is useless. The xenon has no throw. The clickie is low quality.

UK 4AA ZOOM eLED - the 2 stage function is totally useless. The light is blue/purple. Promises to be adjustable but simply is not.

Gordov2

Enlightened
Can I list a Holster?

My Surefire V71 holster puts scratches in the head of the HAIII finish of my M3-CB. However, after removing the metal springs inside the holster, problem fixed and the light is still held fairly tight. Further, Surefire stepped-up by sending me a new head for the light. Thank-you Howard @ Surefire!

peskyphotons

Newly Enlightened
CMG, now Gerber:
Reactor 2
Reactor 3
Sonic
All had very poor contact/switch issues and stopped working.

Photon Proton
They just did not have it all worked out and poor output.

Alex

Last edited:

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Russianesq said:
UK 4AA ZOOM eLED - the 2 stage function is totally useless. The light is blue/purple. Promises to be adjustable but simply is not.

Sorry to hear you don't like your UK 4AA ZOOM eLED. Maybe you got a sample with a bad emitter, or possibly with bad electronics. If possible, I'd exchange it for a new one.

Almost every CPFer I've seen comment on this light mentions its unusually warm, white tint. Personally, I find the two output levels to be very useful and like its adjustable beam width.

After getting my first one, I liked it so much I got two more. The UK 4AA ZOOM eLED is my favorite light for walking and general outdoors use.

Mike Iver

Newly Enlightened
4D mag. I bought this one a while back. Too damn heavy and not much, if any brighter than the 3D mag I got rid off when I bought it.

Gordov2

Enlightened
How about HAIII coating in general? It doesn't live up to the hype. I have found that every light I have WITHOUT HAIII seems to wear BETTER than those with HAIII.

mdocod

Flashaholic
Disapointments:

1. (agreeing with others on this one)The RiverRock 2AA with the lousy optical ball. weak bluish nasty output, useless beam. It's really too bad because the quality of the construction is astounding for the price, build quality far exceeds a 2AA mag IMO.
2. The taskforce 3AAA 1W. horrendous beam pattern that made the amount of light less useful than it could have been, no regulation, was able to fix beam with a modified D26 reflector, but then the switch busted right after that. So it's in the "pieces/parts" box for now.
3. The "100 LED" 4AA light. (CHINA AT IT'S FINEST,, lol)... I knew it was going to be a piece of crap, but I didn't realize that it would totally fall apart so quickly, I've spent more time trying to repair it than I have using it. With the resistor removed, and a set of NIMH, it's pretty bright though.
4. LEDBEAMS: I used to recommend these left and right, at the time, they were about the best throwing LED on the market, on NIMH they had awesome runtime, They were actually overdriven pretty hard, but plenty of good heatsinking to deal, the price was unbeatable bang-for-buck. But Most of the ones I bought for myself and as gifts have all busted. The switches literally disintegrated on the first drop. I have heard that they have since improved the switch design, but I'd like to see a Seoul P4 on there before buying any more.
5. almost any 3xAAA LED light I've bought has bothered me simple because of the lousy battery setup, poor runtime, easy to bust carrier.

Geologist

Enlightened
Great idea for a thread!

Gonna think on this one a bit - some stuff I've had issues with - but a lot of the China stuff is "get what ya pay for" -

hmmmm

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
Inova X1 Generation 3. What a shame that this beautiful little light does not come with a Seoul or a Cree; it doesn't even come with a Luxeon.

I am not happy with it at all.

Streamlights in general have not made me very happy.

-Goatee