Liteflux LF2XT Discussion Thread (Part 5)

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine don't whine when i use 10440 cells. Little brighter than with normal cells, but the no whine is the best bit. I think it's safe to use unprotected 10440 in this light, so that's what i feed it.
sounds like you use cui and has memory turned off and the first mode programmed as medium?
Mine had the same flickering issues, retaining ring was the problem, came loose all the time. light went crasy.I think all the on and off flicker, might program it to all sorts of random settings. One big uber tighening on the head and tail, and it havent had a problem since. Even went trough the washer on full program, came out working perfectly. Clean but dinged...

Last edited:

AlphaZen

Enlightened
I hope I am not stating the obvious, but the LF2XT does not have mode memory in the CUI that works like most lights. The mode that comes on is the user mode, not the last used mode.

So, if you push and hold the button to find a nice usable level to your liking, that will be your user mode. You could then, for example, do a click + press and hold to get to high and turn it off from high and it 'should' come back on in your programmed user mode.

Try this if it comes on in high: Press and hold to ramp down the brightness and then turn it off. Turn it back on. If it comes on to high, then I am out of answers.

AlphaZen

Enlightened
A few more things:
I did get a usable link to the user manual a few posts up, if you haven't seen that yet.

Mine has a small whine on high, but I accept it.

Mine flickers when the tailcap is not screwed down extremely tight.

bansuri

Enlightened
I've found that the whine comes from an inductor on the bottom board, kinda hard to do anything about once it's assembled. Potting would help. I used some new-skin on an lf3xt and it worked pretty good, but it's a lot easier to work on since it's larger. There's probably something better than newskin, just needs to be thin enough to get inside the coil housing.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...-Liteflux-LF3XT-Inductor-Whine-Fix-Pics-Added

egrep

Enlightened
Hey guys, I figured this was a good place to get a response ot this question rather than start a ne wtopic. Searches didn't produce an answer... I just scored my first lf2xt, from a fellow CPF member. I had never experienced a "preflash" before, but this light seems to do just that. I haven't ventured beyond CUI mode, but in CUI mode when I turn it on, it flashes for a second then comes on... Seems like shoddy behavior for what is supposedly the best AAA light on the planet? Is this normal? Is there a way to avoid it? I find it annoying... Thanks!

Yeah, you've got signaling mode on. 4 clicks, then press + hold. You'll get one flash to indicate it's turned off. Do it again and you get two rapid flashes to confirm it's on. Once you know what it is though, you may choose to keep it on. I have as it enables signalling [morse for instance] and tactical mode operation.

mr.snakeman

Enlightened
Just thought I´d share an experience with one of my LF2XT lights. I was not able to turn on the light, would only get momentary on-sometimes! I tried changing batteries but to no avail. I tried tightening the head: head tightness o.k.. So I took it apart (except for the head) and cleaned all the tail parts, reassembled it and now it works just fine. I can only ascertain that this light is very sensitive to small amounts of contanimation on any of the internal contact points. Too much lubrication could probably just ascerberate this problem, so keep `em clean inside.

Lite_me

Flashlight Enthusiast
^^^^ You are soo right. I have 2 of them and have experienced the same things. They are a bit finicky. But once you know what's happening, a quick adjustment, tightening or cleaning and you're back in business.

hoongern

Enlightened
Just thought I´d share an experience with one of my LF2XT lights. I was not able to turn on the light, would only get momentary on-sometimes! I tried changing batteries but to no avail. I tried tightening the head: head tightness o.k.. So I took it apart (except for the head) and cleaned all the tail parts, reassembled it and now it works just fine. I can only ascertain that this light is very sensitive to small amounts of contanimation on any of the internal contact points. Too much lubrication could probably just ascerberate this problem, so keep `em clean inside.

Yeah, this happened to me - the moment I release the switch the light will turn off. Once, after changing batteries, it didn't even turn on at all when clicking. I also had issues with the clicking - sometimes a single click would be interpreted as a double click, or not be detected at all.

I gave the light a thorough clean and put deoxit in the switch - which seems to have improved it. Most of the time, it works fine. However, I agree that the light is a bit finicky. As much as I love it, I find that I can't trust it 100% of the time, which is a bit of a shame.

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast

^^^^ You are soo right. I have 2 of them and have experienced the same things. They are a bit finicky. But once you know what's happening, a quick adjustment, tightening or cleaning and you're back in business.

Yeah, this happened to me - the moment I release the switch the light will turn off. Once, after changing batteries, it didn't even turn on at all when clicking. I also had issues with the clicking - sometimes a single click would be interpreted as a double click, or not be detected at all.

I gave the light a thorough clean and put deoxit in the switch - which seems to have improved it. Most of the time, it works fine. However, I agree that the light is a bit finicky. As much as I love it, I find that I can't trust it 100% of the time, which is a bit of a shame.

I experienced this when I got my first LF2XT and there are 2 sources of this "issue". It might not be YOUR issue, but that's how I discovered mine.

The most common possibility is the tailcap was slightly loosened, hence loosing contact until you press the switch, closing the circuit and giving you momentary. That's why after disassembly, cleaning and assembly, you managed to tighten back the tailcap in the process. So if you ever experience the issue again, try tightening your tailcap and see if it works.

Second possibility, FUI is activated accidentally.

pae77

Enlightened
My LF2XT has been my constant EDC since I first got it and it's still going strong, however, I've experienced the same problems every so often with mine and I also found the cure was simply giving it a thorough cleaning, especially on the threads. Whenever it starts showing signs of erratic performance, another thorough cleaning has always set it right again.

Last edited:

hoongern

Enlightened
I experienced this when I got my first LF2XT and there are 2 sources of this "issue". It might not be YOUR issue, but that's how I discovered mine.

The most common possibility is the tailcap was slightly loosened, hence loosing contact until you press the switch, closing the circuit and giving you momentary. That's why after disassembly, cleaning and assembly, you managed to tighten back the tailcap in the process. So if you ever experience the issue again, try tightening your tailcap and see if it works.

Second possibility, FUI is activated accidentally.

In my case, FUI is what I use, and the tailcap was on as tight as possible. I myself discovered the loosened tailcap issue 2 days after I got mine - and my issue is definitely not related to that. However, it is indeed very good advice when troubleshooting - always make sure all the parts are on tight - including the head assembly!

The 'momentary' issue I have - also seems to be linked to some flickering. Sometimes, when the light it on, the brightness starts flickering, and then suddenly it'll just turn itself off - just poof, off! After that it will become 'momentary'.

Regardless of all this - I still LOVE the LF2XT and wish they were still in production.

EDIT: By 'momentary' I don't mean the same effect as the momentary feature - but one which just turns off the light the moment you're no longer pressing the switch, even if it's a fast tap (if it's the momentary feature, it'll turn itself on properly after a short blink)

Last edited:

pae77

Enlightened
When it starts flickering by itself, it sometimes may flicker just the right way to switch itself into the tactical mode. I have activated the tactical or momentary mode sometimes by accident also without realizing it. Usually when stuff like that starts happening, it just needs a good cleaning.

Chrisdm

Enlightened
Guys i just acquired an lf2xt with no manual, cant find ui info online... is there one? Thx,