Looking for a 2x AA All Around Flood/Beam Light Under $75 Help Please!

lightblue

Newly Enlightened
Ok I swear my head is going to explode! I've spent the whole weekend trying to find a good 2x AA led light and I still don't know where to begin? It's super easy to get sidetracked here in these forums! Lol.
Plus there's just way many company's to decide one.
I was hoping you guys could give me the name of a couple top tier lights to consider and research?
Like I mentioned above, I'm looking for a well balanced light (the best of both worlds if you will) that will give me good beam & flood. Does this even exist?
As you can tell I'm a total newb here. But man O' man, what a world here! I can tell already that I'm going to be spending way to much time here, and Waaay to much money! Lol

Some of the lights I've seen here are just flat out amazing! I need me first a good 2xAA light then a single AA EDC (just learned that EDC abbr. today lol)

Once I get my hands on these two, I'll most likely start looking at some of the big boys 500+ lmns.
Man see his place already has its claws (or love mittens) on me! Lol.

Thank you for any input guys & gals. I eagerly await some suggestions to start researching.

Korgath

Newly Enlightened
A good 2xAA light would be the Shining Beam from Caveman or the Quark X AA Tactical. They are both relatively floody (from the screenshots i've seen)

lightblue

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Korgath, I will look those up. I've come across lots of thread praising the Quark.

Another light I just researched is the JetBeam PA20. This seems to be an all around great light as well. Another criteria I forgot to add was runtime. I would love a super bright led but one with great battery runtime. The PA20 and the Fenix LD22 seem to have solid running time. I think the PA20 edges the LD22 out for my needs.
So currently the JetBeam PA20 is at the top. And I'll now add the Quark AA2 & Caveman Shining Beam. One thing I do like about the Fenix LD22 is the output options. Solid run time. Just looking for something with 200+L. That can run at least 2.5 hours. (Is this even possible with 2AA's?)

TweakMDS

Enlightened
I bought the EagleTac P20A2 MkII a while ago. If you get the XM-L version, you'll get one of the brightest 2xAA lights around, and it comes with a frosted screw-on diffuser which makes it even more floody (without a hotspot).
The emitter is upgradable (ET21 modules) so you can also get a throwier XP-G S2 or perhaps an XP-G2 in the future.

It has a great UI for a walking and navigating in the dark, especially when paired with a smaller thrower (thrower = relative to the P20A2 with diffuser, an Eagletac D25A with XP-G has quite a nice beam for walking around as well).

I paired my P20A2 XL-L with an XP-G D25A a while ago, and it makes a great duo.

Trevtrain

Enlightened
Consider also the Dereelight Javelin with XP-G emitter and LOP (Light Orange Peel) reglector. Good mix of flood and throw.

The Nitecore IFD2 is quite floody but still has Ok reach. Don't know if you will find it for $75 though.

For a single AA EDC, the Zebralight SC51 is popular for a number of reasons. Great output or great runtime according to which of the 7 constant modes you choose from.

Ezeriel

Enlightened
I fear the gods of flashlighting may punish me if I don't get in this thread and say...

Fenix LD22, Fenix E25

one aa? Fenix LD12

...and anything from jetbeam or shiningbeam is good too ;)

lightblue

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all the replies guys. Much appreciated. I. Have a list of all the above mentioned lights and will start on the research (online/YouTube) kind of a drag but spending $50+ on a pocket size led flashlight, you better believe I'm going to take the time to research! Lol

On a side note, I was looking at some reviews on YouTube and came across this Ultrafire light claiming 1600 lumens for only $35!!?? Don't get me wrong I know this has to be some kind of knock off. As tempting as it sounds, I would/am still going to focus on the task at hand. I would rather spend the extra money for quality and a proven track record. Im just amazed at all the knockoffs? I must of seen 1,000+ under $35 on flea bay! It's like a Ferrari body wrapped around a Yugo or Pinto! Lol.

Overclocker

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok I swear my head is going to explode! I've spent the whole weekend trying to find a good 2x AA led light and I still don't know where to begin? It's super easy to get sidetracked here in these forums! Lol.
Plus there's just way many company's to decide one.
I was hoping you guys could give me the name of a couple top tier lights to consider and research?
Like I mentioned above, I'm looking for a well balanced light (the best of both worlds if you will) that will give me good beam & flood. Does this even exist?
As you can tell I'm a total newb here. But man O' man, what a world here! I can tell already that I'm going to be spending way to much time here, and Waaay to much money! Lol

Some of the lights I've seen here are just flat out amazing! I need me first a good 2xAA light then a single AA EDC (just learned that EDC abbr. today lol)

Once I get my hands on these two, I'll most likely start looking at some of the big boys 500+ lmns.
Man see his place already has its claws (or love mittens) on me! Lol.

Thank you for any input guys & gals. I eagerly await some suggestions to start researching.

get two Quark X aa2 (XM-L), a quark single-AA body, and a quark "deep carry" clip. then transplant the AA body into one of the Quark X aa2

you'll then have the best 2xAA and 1xAA lights :)

while you're at it get a 14500 lithium ion for the single-cell setup. will give you same brightness as the two-cell setup.

speaking of brightness, that's 400 lumens out-the-front. puts it way ahead of fenix. you even get to avoid the atrocious fenix side button LOL

Gunner12

Flashaholic
For the 1 AA light, I like my Zebralight SC51. Small and easy to use (side switch is nice).

All the xxFire lights claiming "1600 lumen" are usually 300-500 lumen out the front depending on how hard the LED is driven.

The Thrunite Neutron could be another 2 AA light to look at.

:welcome:

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
get two Quark X aa2 (XM-L), a quark single-AA body, and a quark "deep carry" clip. then transplant the AA body into one of the Quark X aa2

you'll then have the best 2xAA and 1xAA lights :)

while you're at it get a 14500 lithium ion for the single-cell setup. will give you same brightness as the two-cell setup.

speaking of brightness, that's 400 lumens out-the-front. puts it way ahead of fenix. you even get to avoid the atrocious fenix side button LOL

+ 1 on the Quark AA2X w/ AA body + 14500 down the road. In addition to 400 lms, you can get ~400hrs from its moonlight (my favorite mode).

lightblue

Newly Enlightened
Sorry for sounding like a newb, this transplant idea sounds like the ticket. So in all I purchase 2 of these lights so I can have a set? I then transplant the AA body to one of the larger XM-L lights?

Can someone correct me if I'm wrong? I'm still not caught up with all these models and it's been confusing to say the least. Lol.
I do plan on getting there though. I can tell that I have already been bitten by the bug and I haven't even ordered my flashlights yet!
I didn't know you could do transplants with some of these lights? I really want to learn more about the one mentioned above. Does anyone have pics?

Edit: So I purchase 2 Quark XM-L and 1 AA2 Body then just swap heads? Also I should pick up some rechargeable AA's (which are 14500's?) and recommendations on a good 14500 brand? I will most likely pick up a charging unit too as I do not own one. I'm thinking a 4 charging bay with 8-12 14500's?
If you guys can make sure I got things right and can keep steering me in the right directio I would be very appreciative. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

lightblue

Newly Enlightened
I forgot to ask, with the 2A body and the QB2L-X (listed on foursevens at 450L, could not find the XM-L?) could I achieve close to the same run times as the 2 cr123's?
The QB2L-X has massive run times! Max 450 1.5hrs / High 260 3hrs / Med. 60 13hrs etc.
Im assuming 2x 14500 will at least get me the same power as 2xcr123's right? Man if I can get close to those hours and lumens with just 2A's this would be one bad mama jammer!!

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK, the Quarks are "Lego-able" and come in three main component parts, the head (which has the emitter and driver circuits), the battery tube, and the tail clicky. The head is the real guts and you just get the different battery tubes (~$20), and if you want, tail clickies (~$10) to customize it to how you want to use it.

In terms of AA heads, there are 2 emitters and 2 interfaces for 4 combinations. The XPG emitter is smaller (more throwy), and is arguably more efficient (longer runtimes). The XML head is bigger (more floody), has higher max lumens, and arguably fixed some of the previous XPG problems like pre-flash and long reset times on Li-ions. The tactical interface allows you set 2 of 8 modes to be available, and has a forward momentary clicky, while the pro interface allows you access all modes more easily and can tail stand. Goinggear has great videos of their lights and were you can get a feel of their interfaces and see what works for you.

The suggestions you see here are for you get a 2xAA and then an optional 1xAA battery tube, when you want smaller a pocketable light.

In terms of batteries, the 3.7V 14500 is a rechargeable Li-ion which can power the light to its max lumens (equiv of 2xAA), but otherwise has no significant advantage over a NiMh rechargeable. The down side to Li-ions is that they require special care and handling for charging and use (read up on the battery sub forum) and cannot be swapped with other AA devices. You cannot use 2 Li-ions on the AA Quarks (low voltage heads).

IMHO, Quarks are fabulous first light because they so versatile (high highs, low lows, super long runtimes, and ability to take any battery chemistry)... it really helps you realize what you really like, and dislike, for subsequent purchases. They're a little expensive for what they are, but for me the 10 yr warranty and excellent US-based HQ/CS make it no brainer. I've been collecting AA-based, massive runtime lights and so far, my Quarks cannot be beat.

Last edited:

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
I forgot to ask, with the 2A body and the QB2L-X (listed on foursevens at 450L, could not find the XM-L?) could I achieve close to the same run times as the 2 cr123's?
The QB2L-X has massive run times! Max 450 1.5hrs / High 260 3hrs / Med. 60 13hrs etc.
Im assuming 2x 14500 will at least get me the same power as 2xcr123's right? Man if I can get close to those hours and lumens with just 2A's this would be one bad mama jammer!!

The "X" refers to the Turbo, which is part of their "thrower" line-up. It's a great light, which I own and do run on 2x14500s (it will also run fine on 1x14500 and limp on 2xAA too) but it definitely falls out of the all-around/general purpose/EDC use category of me is it is too big, too throwy, too bright for close up tasks. It's a specific purpose light for me.

I'll just leave you with a quote from someone here on CPF, I cannot recall the post or user at the moment, but goes something like this:

"people create imaginary uses for lots of lumen and lots of throw, when in fact what they really need is the exact opposite."

Gunner12

Flashaholic
I thought the X versions were the lights with an XM-L emitter. The heads that run on 2 AA batteries do not work with 2 CR123 batteries, one CR123 will be fine though if there is a body for it. IMO, a larger head light like the Quark Turbo series is too big for EDC, but I keep my EDC lights in my pocket.

If you want to use 2 14500 batteries, you'll need the heads meant for higher voltages.

Most LEDs used in lights are 3-3.7v, so a single AA battery or even 2 AA batteries (under load) won't have enough voltage to light up the LED. To give the LED the voltage it needs, a boost circuit is used. The thing is, boost circuits don't decrease voltage, so if you use a power source with higher voltages then the LED needs, then the LED will be over driven and the boost circuit might fry. There are circuits that both raise and lower voltages (buck-boost circuits) but they are rarely used in lights from what I've seen.

Last edited:

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Doh.... I incorrectly wrote my last note. The X does in fact refer to the XML emitter, the B refers to Turbo, or the thrower family of the Quark line. I also understood the Quarks (well, at least the 0.9-4.2 low voltage head) uses both buck and boost circuits (the buck allows for a regulated moonlight mode that is reasonably rare). This is discussed in the 4/7s forum over in the CPF marketplace forum.

lightblue

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all the replies and useful information guys!
Ive been you'tubin all day when I could get the chance. 4Sevens & Eagletac are def. on the top of the list.
I live in a rural area so I need some good throw but wide coverage as well.
Like 60/40, 60 being beam.

lightblue

Newly Enlightened
So the Quark Pro QP2A-X is the latest 2xAA from foursevens? Is this the model that everyone is referring to?