Looking for a compact rechargeable EDC, can use some suggestions.

Gigler470

Newly Enlightened
I currently use a Fenix PD20. I'm tired of wasting money on batteries. I was looking at the Nitecore MT10C and the Fenix RC09 (not happy with the light output, like the size of it). Any suggestions on another torch that uses rechargeable batteries, high lumen output and compact size with a clip. I'm looking spend no more the $200.00.
Stay Safe...
Marc

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know if the PD20 does so, but a lot of lights designed for CR123A can also run on lithium-ion rechargeable alternatives like the 16340 or 18350 size. You'd need a separate charger with most of them, but those are available for very reasonable prices, all the way down to the Xtar MC1 for $6.

If you want built-in charging, another option is the Olight S1R, which has a USB charging dock.

There's also a couple options with built-in batteries that are remarkably small and light, such as the Nitecore Tip and Manker Lad. They recharge via micro-USB cable.

Keitho

Enlightened
It seems that the most-recommended light in that size class recently is the Emisar D4, which I recommend as well. With the 18350 tube, it is about the same size as your PD20 (quite a bit shorter, but slightly fatter head). When you remove the battery or unscrew the tailcap slightly, it will come back on at around 150 lumen, which is the same as "high" mode on the RC09 (~3 hours runtime on 1 18350 cell, or 8.5 hours on one 18650, which is a longer cell). But, the user interface will allow you to ramp smoothly down to <2 lumens, and up way over 3000 lumens (very short runtime on the high-lumen modes--the thermal control kicks in quickly to lower output and keep it cool enough to hold). It comes in 3 body colors, a bunch of LED choices, and seems to be available now from intl-outdoors (maybe some also from mtn electronics).

For under $160, I'd splurge on a pair of lights, maybe in different colors and different LED to match your moods (for example, the HI version, $58, and a 219c version, $40), a couple of 18350 tubes ($10), six Aspire 18350 cells ($30), a pocket clip (mtn electronics sells a "DC-CLIP-1" that works, $1 plus shipping), and a pair of XTAR ANT MC1+ chargers ($8 ea). You could throw in a passel of 18650 cells to use when you wanted a longer light with a longer runtime, and still stay under $200. The "save money" version is only 1 light, 2 cells, 1 charger, and a clip for under $80.

I LOVE spending other people's money!

Best of luck, and enjoy the research!

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you are looking at the MT10C, look at some of their MH series lights. All of the MH series have USB jacks for charging 'in situ', without requiring an external charger. Although if you use the light a lot, you might want to get a small charger like the Latika (sp) or Nitcore I2/4 or D2/4, or one of the Xtars. I have the VC4 because most of my lights are multi-cell, and it also does NiMH. I also have the Xtar VP2 because it lets me set a lower charging rate for my 10440 and 14500 cells.
I have the Nitecore EA11, which is a single AA/14500 light that I really like. Its cousin, the EC11 is basically the same light, but uses a CR123 or a 16340 or 18350 cell. It does better on the rechargeables, since they don't drop voltage as much under load. I wear mine on my belt, and it is so small and light I sometimes forget it is even there.

Latest posts