Looking for a durable headtorch uk

mikeloon

Newly Enlightened
Hi this is my first post on cpf

I'm looking for a good quality headtorch in the uk (any recommended retailers?)

will be used mostly for working on cars, dog walking in the winter and general use around the house.

I have been looking at smaller lights like the fenix hl50, nightcore hc30, zebralights h32/h52 and armyteks tiara at a push price wise.

I have been looking at some of the 18650 lights too but the armytek wizard and zebralight h600 are out of budget,.

it is worth saving up the difference over buying something like the fenix hl55/hl60 or nitecore hc50?

Is there anything I am missing or an allround best headtorch under around £60?

thanks.

mike

Kudzu

Newly Enlightened
Hey there, and welcome to the site.

I have the Fenix HL50 and the Zebralight H52fw. They're both great. If I could only have one, I'd pick the Zebralight for sure. The UI is just fantastic.

That said, I do find the HL50's thin steel attachment to be more comfortable to wear for long periods than the Zebralight silicone. I have an HL55 on order, but it's still in the mail so I can't give you a comparison on that. For me the HL60 has way too many modes for a UI in which you have to scroll through them all to find what you want. And I just don't see the point of a 900-lumen mode on a headlamp. I know nothing about the Nitecores - many folks like them.

The HL50 is a very solid light, with a nice beam, and in certain scenarios I can see the dual battery capability being very useful. I tend to leave mine in the car for emergencies, where I stock both AA eneloop and CR123A, and I keep the H52fw closer at hand to use in the house.

All in all, get a Zebralight, assuming you're comfortable with li-ion batteries and have a good charger, or don't mind paying for lithium non-rechargeables. If you're using it outdoors I'd lean towards the H32w/H32fw for the output and runtimes.

mikeloon

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the reply. I will have a look at the h32 range I hadn't considered it before, where is best to buy the ZL from?

are the cr123 rechargeable batteries good in the h32w?

mike

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
Check out the Petzl range, pro quality and fits inside your budget.If you live near a good outdoor shop that stock cavers stuff you will find Petzl, personally I would use nothing else.

As the forum police are not keen on links just use google and enjoy.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Check out the Petzl range, pro quality and fits inside your budget.If you live near a good outdoor shop that stock cavers stuff you will find Petzl, personally I would use nothing else.

As the forum police are not keen on links just use google and enjoy.

Yeah, Petzl are good reliable headlamps for sure with some great features to boot. I used them for years. Where they fall short though is their emitters. Every one I have ever owned, used, or tried had terribly cool emitters with a terrible tint either very purple or green. Their drivers arent the most efficient designs either and they often get very short run times compared to some of the other companies offerings.

After trying headlamps from a couple other companies I just dont think I could ever get another Petzl even though they have never let me down and really have some great designs.

hazza

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the reply. I will have a look at the h32 range I hadn't considered it before, where is best to buy the ZL from?

are the cr123 rechargeable batteries good in the h32w?

mike

I used my H32w with a 16340 lithium ion rechargeable and it was great. Don't forget the H52 though, if you'd rather use AA batteries. It's also worth thinking about the H302 or H502 which have a really wide beam pattern. They're great for working up close, like on your car or DIY.

mikeloon

Newly Enlightened
I'm no closer to deciding on one model! My dad uses petzl for fishing and kayaking and he has always been happy with them. zebra seem to get a better write up here though.

would the zebra h32/52 have reasonable throw for walking in woods?

thanks for the suggestions

Kudzu

Newly Enlightened
I'd say skip the Petzl if you can get a Zebralight within your budget. Petzls are reliable, sure, but the light aesthetics are pretty deplorable.

There should be beamshot videos on Youtube for almost all Zebralight models, or pics in the threads here. A 32w will give you more throw than a 52w but neither are super throwy lights. "Reasonable" throw is pretty subjective, but I'd be comfortable in the woods with one. The 'w' is important - you want neutral white. If you decide you want it more diffuse at any point you can add diffusion tape.

mikeloon

Newly Enlightened
I think I will go for a h32w on payday I have an LLp7.2 which is good for throw if i need it. im sure I will be impressed with a zebra.

I can't get away with the plastic body on the petzls really. I think i would end up breaking it while under cars!

Thanks for the help!!

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think I will go for a h32w on payday I have an LLp7.2 which is good for throw if i need it. im sure I will be impressed with a zebra.

I can't get away with the plastic body on the petzls really. I think i would end up breaking it while under cars!

Thanks for the help!!

You will not regret it. I love my new Zebralights.

I wouldnt worry about the plastic on Petzls though. Remember Petzl is a rock climbing company, they are quite durable. I used them for years in a lot harsher conditions then working on cars and never had an issue. An aluminum headlamp with a glass lens can actually be much easier to damage imo.

I would say Petzls are a lot more durable then Zebralights but, I love the ZLs for their great tints, awesome UI, and efficient drivers(longer runtimes).

Last edited:

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
Low income, value shopper here.
The Zebralight is a good value at 90$ + 2 good batteries, + a charger.
Hurts once to pay, then it's basically free to have abundant, efficient lighting.
H600w Mk II with good battery and spare is well worth the cost imo.

mikeloon

Newly Enlightened
I have had a look around and there seems to be alot of reliability problems reported on the forum for zebralight are they just the older models?

petzl sounds good but it seems like you need to spend more than zebra to get something in the same league brightness wise! although i guess they have their good reputation for a reason.

mikeloon

Newly Enlightened
I don't mind paying the extra for the h600 mkII if its going to be worth the difference. the h32w was appealing mainly because it would be ideal to carry in a pocket.

my main concern is reliability to be honest.

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
I have had a look around and there seems to be alot of reliability problems reported on the forum for zebralight are they just the older models?

petzl sounds good but it seems like you need to spend more than zebra to get something in the same league brightness wise! although i guess they have their good reputation for a reason.

That seems to be mostly the past.

guthrie

Newly Enlightened
I'd agree that avoiding Petzl is a good idea due to tint and they are also less water resistant than many others. I got a Fenix HL30 recently and it is fine so far. I did consider a nightcore but ended up going with the Fenix because it was cheaper, used AA's and did all it really needed to do. Plus the brightness modes are about right, I use low for close up in hands stuff, medium for walking around and high can illuminate enough of an area to be useful.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd agree that avoiding Petzl is a good idea due to tint and they are also less water resistant than many others. I got a Fenix HL30 recently and it is fine so far. I did consider a nightcore but ended up going with the Fenix because it was cheaper, used AA's and did all it really needed to do. Plus the brightness modes are about right, I use low for close up in hands stuff, medium for walking around and high can illuminate enough of an area to be useful.

That depends on the model. They make headlamps that are more water resistant then any that Nitecore, Fenix, and Zebralight make. Remember they are a high end french rock climbing company made in Europe that has been around for decades longer then those companies. They still make some awesome products. They just dont have some of the best tints and runtimes when compared to some of the other options.

Last edited:

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast

Try telling the caving fans and mountaineers here in North Wales to avoid Petzl,they will outlast the others by far.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Try telling the caving fans and mountaineers here in North Wales to avoid Petzl,they will outlast the others by far.

A lot of that is because they also make climbing gear and are made in Europe. Many people also dont do a lot of research and dont look past what is available in outdoor stores. Petzl makes pretty good headlamps for sure but, they are way behind in the emitter quality and efficiency/runtime departments. They are no longer the end all and be all of headlamps. I have used Petzl's for years but, now that I tried some of the other offerings, I dont think I could buy another Petzl. Not unless they start offering better emitters, more mode settings, and greatly increase their runtimes. YMMV.

mikeloon

Newly Enlightened
The pull of Petzl headlamps is the fact if I get a faulty one I can just take it back to the shop.

has anyone had an experience with warranty on zebra or armytek?

after doing some searching I'm definately looking for something with alot of flood that can be used alongside the led lenser I already have.