Looking for AA EDC

Ranger-RSA

Newly Enlightened
Hope I'm not being to general with my answers below. I'm looking for a light to either carry on me every day or at least have near me all the time. I have a flashlight next to my bed for things that go bump in the night. AA batteries preferred as CR123 etc are not the easiest to obtain or cheapest around these parts.

1) How would you prefer to purchase the light?

This will be mail-order or Online (location doesn't matter).

2) Budget: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)
Up to $50.

3) Format:
I want a flashlight (hand held/self contained).

4) Size:
TINY - Every day carry (2-4 inches).
SMALL - Every day carry (4-7 inches).

5) Emitter/Light source:
LED (known for efficiency, longevity, and compactness)

6) Manufacturer:
I want to buy a light from a large/traditional manufacturer that is ready to go out of the box.
I would like a light from a specialty manufacturer (Possibly limited run/Custom).

7) What power source do you want to use?
I intend to use "Primary"/Disposable Alkaline batteries based on the usual AA
I intend to use "Primary"/Disposable Lithium batteries based on the usual AA
Rechargeable is also an option.

7a) If you have selected a rechargeable option
I want a light that snaps into a cradle (usually mounted on a wall)

8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is not a happy experience).
I want to navigate a dark room or read a map (1-10 lumens).
I want an indoor "blackout" light (15-50 lumens)
I want to confidently walk around an unlit/unpaved rural area (60-150 lumens).
I want to illuminate my entire backyard or a campsite (150-300 lumens).

9) Flood vs Throw: Flood covers an area, Throw reaches out to a distance.

All Flood: I am doing "arms length" tasks like reading and campsite cooking.
Wide Flood: I want a defined flood area for semi-close tasks like after-dark campsite tasks or working on a car.
Narrow Flood: I want a sharply defined flood area that will project some distance for tasks like trail walking.

9a) Distance: How far away will you typically need to see with this light (check all that apply)
Less than 1 yard/meter (reading, other close work)
Less than 5 yards/meters (looking for something inside a dark shed/garage/basement)
5-20 yards/meters (check out a noise in the backyard)

10) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims, but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries (Measured on maximum continuous output).
30-60 minutes (I have plenty of batteries just ready to be changed)

11) Durability/Usage: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.
Very Important (Camping, Backpacking, Car Glove-box).

12) Switch Size, Type, and location (choose all that apply):
I don't know.

13) User Interface (UI) and mode selection. Select all that apply.
A simple on-off with only one output level is fine for me.
I want 2 light levels. (Brighter/short runtime and Dimmer/long runtime.)

14)Material/Finish/Coating
Anodized Aluminum – either type II or III (Hard Anodized) (Aluminum, specifically HA, is the most common material/finish for today's higher end flashlights).

15) Water resistance
____None needed
____IPX4 (Splash resistant)
____IPX7 (Waterproof to 1 meter/30min)

16) Storage conditions
In house (temperature/climate controlled environment)
Emergency kit (long standby periods)
Automobile glove-box (wide temperature swings, long standby periods, critical reliability)

17) Special Needs/extras: Is there anything else you want or need that hasn't been mentioned? Select any/all below.
Pocket/belt clip this is a HAVE TO HAVE

1DaveN

Enlightened
I recommend going to the Fenix Store web site and compare the E25 (discontinued) and E25UE (new version, should ship this week) 2xAA lights. They both run on 2xAA alkaline, lithium primary, and NiMH (Eneloop), and the UE also accepts 14500 li-ion. I like my E25 so much I pre-ordered an E25UE, for no really good reason since the older model is plenty bright. You have to search for the E25 (older model) - I don't think they come up if you just browse to the E series. At a quick glance, I think they meet all your specs except for 7a - you can't charge cells in the light.

In my opinion, the quality and reliability of these lights more than make up for my one minor complaint, which is that the switch can be a little difficult to find in the dark.

Edit: I forgot to mention that there have been a number of AA posts recently, with lots of good suggestions. I'm a big fan of Fenix, but there are a lot of other good brands mentioned in other AA threads you should easily find nearby.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Check into the Coast HP1.

A focus head light that's $10, pocket sized, well built, and simple to operate.
Want flood? Hoh boy does it flood.
Want spot? Ya get that too.
220 lumens.
Several hours run time on occasional use or a good 2 hours tail stood as a tent/den lighter.
Alkaline, lithium or eneloop, you pick.

When I wanna see what's going bump in the night a couple hundred feet away, the spot focus does that will lots of spill.

If I wanna read a map, I slide the head to flood and turn all those lumens into a diffused map reader.

There are lots of other good lights out there as well.

Last edited:

KeepingItLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have heard good things about the flashlights recommended above.

Although I do not own either one, I like what I have read about the two Fenix models. The Fenix E20 (2015 Edition) is a bit cheaper, because it only runs on AA (alkaleak, NiMH, and Lithium primary). The Fenix E25 Ultimate Edition can take all those, and also can use 3.7 volt Li-ion 14500 batteries. The only thing that keeps me away from these lights is the tint. Both use cool-white emitters.

Everyone needs a few budget lights, and the Coast HP1 can fill that role. For most indoor uses—and many outdoor ones, as well—the unfocused flood beam of a zoomie is probably better than the hot spot and spill given by regular flashlights. An unfocused zoom flashlight has no hot spot and no spill. The entire beam is one giant uniformly bright light.

I do not own the HP1, but from what I have read, the focused beam of the HP1 is not going to match the high quality you get from most regular flashlights. It will tend to show some artifacts, perhaps including rings. I don't know about the HP1, but on some zoomies, when you zoom all the way, the beam becomes square, and shows the surface texture of the flashlight's LED.

The thing I like least about the HP1 is its declining output. In the early part of a run, the Fenix lights mentioned above give you flat output. Lumens are pretty much constant. With the HP1, output begins to slowly decline almost immediately. As the battery voltage wanes, so does flashlight output. This is much more pronounced on alkaline than on other AA batteries.

In some ways, this is a personal preference. I like flat output. Others may prefer the longer runtimes you get from continuously declining output.

Coast flashlights use cool-white emitters.

I am interested enough in the HP1 that I went looking for it the other day at Home Depot. Unfortunately, the store in my area does not carry it. I did find it on Amazon.

If you would like a neutral-white emitter that also has high-CRI (for good color rendition), check out the L3 Illumination L11C Nichia 219B at SB Flashlights. It runs on 1xAA, and has good mode spacing. The 4-mode version outputs 0.09, 3, 30, and 140 lumens. It uses a reverse-clicky switch, mounted on its tail. Using the SB Flashlight coupon code found here (available only for CPF members), the L11C costs around $35 USD, including shipping.

At present, I carry the L11C in the bottom of my front pants pocket every day.

As far as in-light recharging goes, you will find more Li-ion flashlights that can do that than you can NiMH. I would buy a separate, stand-alone charger if I were you. CostCo has a good deal this month for a well-reviewed Eneloop charger and batteries. You can read about it in a CPF thread entitled "Eneloop POWER PACK $31, All-Time Low Price" that can be found here. Using the coupon found in the CostCo circular that is mailed to CostCo members (and which can be found online as discussed in post #8 of the thread), you can get the bundle for only $23.99 USD. Deal ends Oct. 25.

Good luck in your search!

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
^^ agreed on the HP1 as not being the stellar beam we've come to appreciate as our tastes develop. And I'm certainly not trying to talk anyone into one if they prefer fixed beams, better tint or multiple settings.
And yes they dim over time.

Like beer, I started out on Lite beer (Coast in this case) and in time acquired a taste for more flavor as it were.

So I reccomend lights to budding flashaholics that I have found to be reliable for a general purpose within their budget.

There are a ton of fine lights out there for $40 and less. This is a great time to be a flash light hobbiest.
Fenix, Nitecore and other brands are pretty popular.

If Mr. Ranger hadn't said "flood, flood, flood", Ida said Klarus P1A (with it's drill through darkness beam) or others.

And don't forget Mr. Ranger if you go with a light that has a good spot, you can always make diffusers to turn your choice into a flooder.

Last edited:

recDNA

Flashaholic
I'd love to go to a store that carried the full line of Coast. So many I would love to try. No li ion support? How about li primary?

bykfixer

Flashaholic
^^ Yeah, Coast and Lux-Pro make for great starter lights. Eneloop friendly or lithium disposables.

Lux-Pro are hardly mentioned, yet the 180 lumen LP-470 is pretty good for $15. Great giveaways.
I get lots of thank you's from folks I gave some to last summer.

Another little pocket size you've probably seen at auto part stores but never considered...
The Nebo Highbeam. It's probably 10 or 15 lumens, very floody, simple to operate and plugs into your 12 volt accessorie port to charge. About $10 and holds a charge for a long, long time.

^^ great to stash in the console and forget until needed. I've been playing with one for over a year on the charge it had when I bought it.

Last edited:

LetThereBeLight!

Enlightened
I'd suggest Eagletac's D25A but if you want as many as 400+ lumens, then go for the D25A2 which uses two alkaline batteries.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
The AA light I carried as an EDC for several years was the Streamlight Protac EMS. 3.7/10/50 lumens, started on low, nice clip, comfortable in hand. The max output of 50 lumens doesn't sound like much, but you would be surprised how well it lights up an area. It was able to light up the side of my neighbor's house at about 100ft., and this was in an urban environment with several all night lights shedding light on the area.

Another good light, but a little over your budget unless you can find a good sale, would be the Nitecore EA11. Single AA it maxes at 160 lumens, with four other modes down to 1 lumen. Also hidden modes of strobe, sos, and beacon, as well as a red led with con, blink and beacon modes as well. The UI allows instant on to lower, turbo, and strobe, as well as regular operation. It will also operate on one 14500 li-ion cell, with all the same modes, but with a max of 900 lumens and the other modes spread out correspondingly. It normally sells for around $60 USD, but with the upcoming holiday season I expect to see some good deals on it as well.

Tac Gunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
Eagletac D25A2 XML2 is my preferred AA light. It has a good mix between flood and throw, will easily cover your 20 yard requirement and still have a nice flood to go along with it. Eagletac's outputs and runtimes have been verified by Selfbuilt to be pretty accurate and I can attest to them as well. What I love the most about the light is its simple UI. Click it on with the switch and then simply tap the switch to change modes. The ability to turn on and off mode memory is really nice as well as being able to select a lower moonlight mode group or the brighter non moonlight mode group. It is a little more than your budget but there are coupons available that will bring it close to your price range.

Another simple but promising looking light is the Fenix E20 2015 edition. Basically a simplified D25A2 in my opinion and with a lower price tag. I have the Fenix E21 which is kind of like an older, distant, simpler cousin to the E20 and I like the performance of it rather well plus its built like a tank.

TheShadowGuy

Enlightened
The Olight S15R is on sale for $23 with free shipping from gearbest. Comes with a charging dock and olight 14500 Li-Ion if you wanted to use those, or takes regular AA's. Has a magnet in the tail cap, which comes in handy.
If I remember correctly Thrunite made a decent single AA light for EDC that was fairly cheap. On the upper end of your price range I saw an Eagletac D25A titanium on sale somewhere for $40 recently. I'll update if I can remember where.
Edit: Illumination Supply, and they come with your choice of LED emitter (Nichia 219 Hi CRI, XML2, or XPG2)

Last edited:

Ranger-RSA

Newly Enlightened
Thanks very much guys, I am researching all those mentioned. I like the idea of the Coast HP1 as a cheap AA EDC and then maybe adding another flashlight, something rechargable like a Olight S10R II that I can just drop into the dock.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
There ya go....

Another budding flashaholic.

Soon that HP1 will be in 1 pocket, and some sort of other gizmo light in the other lol.

Then you'll have to carry a bag so your other fav's will be at arms length...then before you know it, there'll be a flashlight of one sort or another within 10' of you anywhere in your home (including bathroom(s)...)

I knew I was hooked when a stranger on the street asked "gotta light?" and I whipped out my HP1.

Your next phase will be battery hoarding and a search for that ultimate charger...
I use the very versatile (014) Nite Core i4 intellicharger. Bought a bundle pack that came with 123 cells and tubes to turn aa batteries into c & d sized.
Yep my 2d Mag can now use eneloop aa's.

Let us know what you decide on...

Last edited:

Wolfy1776

Newly Enlightened
Go with the Olight S15R because right now they are on sale for less than $23. And that includes a 14500 battery. And the S15R runs on either 14500 or AA.

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi, a lesser known brand but it is fantastic, I looked around for a AA EDC and the ArmyTek A1 Prime non pro version caught and held my attention. The neutral white version is the one I own, running it on 14500 but on Eneloops it is pretty respectable too. The best part (for me) is the fact that it starts off pn Firefly 1 (0.15 lumen)

jhp762

Newly Enlightened
My favorite EDC flashlight is not AA, it's a AAA, and it is the FourSevens Preon P2. I got one of the nichia HCRI models, and I absolutely love this thing, bright as heck to boot! 47's does make an AA model as well, though it is a twisty interface, not clicky. If you're dead-set on AA's, give them a look-see. But, if you're dead-set on a great EDC light, and want AA *or smaller*, check out the Preon P2's.

:::Edited to add: :::
I work on and fly in helicopters for the Army. The Preon has been with me on every night flight I have been on since I purchased it. It really is that excellent and it has held up well, too.

Last edited:

DC47

Newly Enlightened
Go with the Olight S15R because right now they are on sale for less than $23. And that includes a 14500 battery. And the S15R runs on either 14500 or AA.
I just bought one for the price you stated, with free shipping. My first 'good flashlight' apart from bike lights I've purchased. I also got some Sipiks for