Looking for birthday present

LED4LYF

Newly Enlightened
I have been out of the flashlight scene for a while. I am going to be buying a flashlight for my birthday. I have between 100 and 135 to spend. I am looking for the most sustainable Lumen light I can buy with the amount I have given. Any suggestions? I like the rot66 and d18 but the sustained lumens will not last long. Thanks

wicky998

Flashlight Enthusiast
malkoff m61 md2 is 113$ and is 450 otf lumens for 1.25 hours followed but another hour of bright usable light followed by several hours of declining output.

there are other lights with higher outputs within that price range but its how long that ouput will last.

criteria only being your price range leaves it open to alot of lights im sure youll get a good number of good lights for that price.

LED4LYF

Newly Enlightened
I should have specified, I want the most lumens for at least 45 min. I saw q8 is 5000 for 40 min or so. Is there any other options. Thanks

Dicaeopolis

Enlightened
How many lumens do you need to sustain and for how long? I looked up that Q8 and it is about as big as a soda can and takes 4 18650. I am guessing you don't need it to be slim and fit in your front pocket, so size doesn't matter?

LED4LYF

Newly Enlightened
Size does not matter, highest sustained for at least 40 min. Would like some flood

Onthebrightside

Newly Enlightened
When I saw your title I was going to be a clown and tell you to get the 100000 lumen imalent but then I saw your price range. There is so many great lights for that amount. I'm going to ponder this for a while and try to give you my best answer.

LED4LYF

Newly Enlightened
Q8 looks like a good option. Have you had any other thoughts?

Keitho

Enlightened
For 45 minutes sustained high lumens, good heat sinking and mass are important, so we're probably talking about a 4x18650. There are a few threads on pop-can lights that usually end up recommending the Q8, Rot66 and D18; older threads recommend the M43, MK34 and the X7. They'll all be in the low-thousands of lumens for 45 minutes.

The real monster lumen grenades of recent years get to tens of thousands and even approach 100K lumens for a short time at well over your budget, and don't sustain that power for long, even with a cooling fan (Acebeam X70, for example, with a cooling fan might be able to sustain >15Klumens for over 45 minutes at $550 and 4 lbs). Think about that, especially when you consider the logarithmic nature of human light perception--my old M43 or the D18 can sustain a couple thousand lumens of warm, high-CRI light for an hour, and you only have to double that lumen rating 3 times (and double the weight 2 times, and double the price 3 times) to get to the X70 cooling-fan-assisted sustained power. Yes, the X70 will look brighter side-by-side; but, I can tell you from many personal experiences, that the difference between 2,500 lumens and 15K lumens won't be mind-blowing. It might be worth making a final decision based not on lumens, but instead on a personal combination off preferences like user interface, color temp, CRI, size, beam shape, and weight. I have an Olight X7vn that makes 22K lumens (~~2K sustained) that I rarely use because I prefer the color temp and UI and size of my old trusty M43 that "only" makes ~4K lumens (~~2K sustained).