Looking for first good quality tach/utility handheld for home

Mrhanky5555

Newly Enlightened
Newb here. Im a first time home owner and lived in my house for about a year now. Finally realizing the importance of a good handheld flashlight. After Sandy hit we were out of power for over two weeks (Thank god that was the worst of it for us) and the amount of looting that was taking place was unimaginable! I had a great lantern from my lithium hitachi cordless drill set that was perfect for inside but not for outside. Couldnt sleep at night knowing there were these idiot looters out there. Anyway, looking for a strong tactical/utility flashlight for the home. Something blinding with multiple modes. $130 price range. I was looking at foursevens maelstrom line, just something to compare too. Thanks for any input and suggestions.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The Klarus lights could also work. Many of them have a dual tailcap switch that allows quick access to high or strobe. Fenix also makes some nice lights, and their TK series could work well for you. Sunwayman's light could also work.

What kind of beam pattern do you prefer? Batteries? Close vs long range use?

This is nor a suitable suggestion to your requirements, but it might also be good to buy a few keychain lights for the family, so everyone has a light if they need one.

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Check out the following Surefire models: Fury, E2DL, and LX2. All have two modes and are bulletproof.

Veru

Newly Enlightened
Maybe the Fenix TK 35 could be the right light for you.
For a light using 2x 18650s it is on the smaller side.

Mrhanky5555

Newly Enlightened
Something with a strong throwing beam that will flood out a bit. I still feel like the foursevens brand is still the better choice?

LeeEdc

Newly Enlightened
Personally, I think a good 2 AA that can also run on a single cell light might go a long way in your situation. I'm also curious at what range you will be using the light. For indoor a 18650 thrower might be overkill...:faint:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
What distance would you like to throw?

A throwy light is not suitable indoors, so you might need one general use/wider beam light, and a narrow beam thrower.

Foursevens has a good warrent, but I hear quality isn't as great as it used to be (still good quality from what I hear). That or there are lots more people buying, leading to more overall complaints.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Yeah, lights that are great for slamming looter pupils shut are not so great on your own in a house for task lighting.

Torpedo

Newly Enlightened
You might want to invest in some aa lights for back up as well ...aa are everywhere and it is tought to charge cells when you have no power. Hope you have some personal protection as well.

Mrhanky5555

Newly Enlightened
Yes i do. Something with different modes. Low mode for utility use, high mode for outdoor and blinding power, and a strobe for disorientation. And ease of selection would be nice too.

gearhead1972

Newly Enlightened
Yes i do. Something with different modes. Low mode for utility use, high mode for outdoor and blinding power, and a strobe for disorientation. And ease of selection would be nice too.

Fenix PD32 ultimate edition: Low (9 Lumens), Mid (40 Lumens), High (140 Lumens), Turbo (400 Lumens), Burst (740 Lumens), Strobe (400 Lumens), SOS (140 Lumens). Runs on 2 cr123, buy them on line for $1 a piece. They have a 10 year shelf life and run in all temps so you will always have the light when you need it. It also takes 1 18650 lithium ion rechargeable battery so if you want to start playing with them you already have a light to use them in.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The Klarus lights could work. Most have a dual switch tailcap, with the main switch for on/off and the second switch for modes, or strobe if the light is off. The Fenix PD32 also has two switches, one for on/off another for modes, but the mode switch is on the body. This could be better or worse depending on your preference. The PD32 has a relatively small reflector, so it might not have the throw you want. How much throw do you want (at what distance do you want to light something up)?

From what I've heard, Armytek's lights have a good amount of throw for their size, so those could also be an option.

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Something with a strong throwing beam that will flood out a bit. I still feel like the foursevens brand is still the better choice?

Try the E2DL with a F04 diffuser. It throws extremely well for something "underpowered" with 200 lumens OTF, and the diffuser can make it an extremely useful flood light. Run time on high is somewhere in the neighborhood of 80-90 minutes, and low runs for approx 48 hours.

Mrhanky5555

Newly Enlightened
Just ordered the pd32 ultimate. Seems like it'll be perfect. We'll see. Anybody have any know complaints with this one?

Gunner12

Flashaholic
I hope you like the light!

Make sure the head is tightened before you use the light. The tailcap retaining ring has also been know to loosen in use, so if the light starts flickering, clean the contacts and tightening the retaining ring.