Looking for review(s) of the NEBO Redline Flex (14500/AA)

mickeyfinn

Newly Enlightened
Hey,

Haven't been here for a long time. Good to be back.

I did the search but can't seem to find anything on the NEBO Redline Flex.

It takes a single rechargeable14500 AND also takes a single AA in a pinch.

Sounds like a good idea to me.

Do any of you folks here use one or have knowledge of this Model?

Thank you.

mickeyfinn

Newly Enlightened
I thought the NEBO Redline Flex would be fairly popular flashlight.

I guess I was wrong.

mickeyfinn

Newly Enlightened
Okay, now I understand.

NEBO doesn't have the best of reputations here so if there are some owners here, they may be ashamed to admit they own one.

The strange part is the NEBOs I read about on Amazon all got excellent reviews.

Right now there are 129 reviews of this light. 78% rated it 5/5 stars and 13% rated it 4/5 stars. So 9 out of 10 people say it's a good light.

Of course I have to consider that these Amazon buyers are most likely not as "flashlight sophisticated" as the folks who frequent this forum.

But I also figure there may be an element of "flashlight snobbery" at work here because NEBOs are relatively inexpensive lights.

Anyway, I ordered one. I'll let you guys know my opinion of it after I've had it for a while.

Last edited:

mikekoz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I do not own the Flex, but have several other Nebo lights and they are all good quality. My latest was a rebel headset purchased over the Christmas holidays and it is great! Do not let the "snobs" ruin your enjoyment of your light! :poke::crackup:

mickeyfinn

Newly Enlightened
I do not own the Flex, but have several other Nebo lights and they are all good quality. My latest was a rebel headset purchased over the Christmas holidays and it is great! Do not let the "snobs" ruin your enjoyment of your light! :poke::crackup:

Thank you for replying.

I couldn't understand why NEBO flashlights in general have good reviews on Amazon but seem to get trashed here a lot.

Then there are those, "I've never owned any NEBOS but I've heard they have poor fit and finish and blah blah blah."

I just disregard those types of comments out-of-hand. They seem to be much more rumor than fact.

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
I own the Nebo Redline Flex. It is a single AA/14500 side-switch zoom flashlight with an aspheric lens. It comes with a cheap quality 14500.

What I like:
+ sideswitch zoomable flashlight
+ looks cool
+ zoom range is good with a decently wide flood and narrow spot.

What I don't like:
- Not sure what the LED is, but it is not CREE or clone of a CREE and not very bright. At best, output is similar to most cheap $2 zoom flashlights using Latticebright LEDs.
- Output is cool white.
- Plastic bezel retaining ring - this is a bit of a gimmick with Nebo's Redline series lights. When the light is on, the red plastic ring that connects the bezel to the head glows red from light passing through it. This may look cool, but is inherently less structurally sound that having the metal bezel screw directly into the metal head like most other zoom flashlights. I wonder if the plastic would break if I dropped the light on its head.
- User Interface: click once for high, second time for low, third time for off. Double-click at any time for Strobe.
- Zoom is screw type rather than push-pull. I prefer push-pull in this type of light as it is faster to cycle one-handed. Only advantage of screw-type is for waterproofing. But Nebo made no attempt to waterproof this light anyways.

Other observations
* Magnet in tailcap.
* Entire light is rather long for a 14500 light: 107mm
* clip is not removable
* built-in USB charging. Port is under the zoom bezel, so is protected against dust when the bezel retracted. Not waterproof.
* comes with USB cable.

I didn't bother to dismantle this Nebo, but I did do so on a previous smaller Nebo Redline that was sized for CR-123. That one had plastic parts in the head and awful heatsinking. Definitely not a suitable candidate for modding into a hotrod.

My overall opinion:
These lights are junk. They might look good when off, but in output and function they are about the same as pretty much any generic $5 zoom light you can find on Ebay. Not recommended.

Last edited:

Paul6ppca

Flashlight Enthusiast
I do like the Nebo mycro keychain light. It's held up well. Almost a year. I like the UI and size and output.