Looking for the best single cell charger+Power Bank to use with a solar panel.

michaelmcgo

Enlightened
I just bought an Enerplex Kickr II solar panel and would to pair it with a single bay charger that has the following options if possible:

Needs to work with the varying input from a solar panel (.1A to .6A). Also needs to use a Micro USB input (5v).
Needs to at least be able to charge most Li-ion cells. Especially 17500 and 18650.
Needs to have a "Power Bank" feature where an installed cell can be used to charge my cell phone.
Ideally it could also charge NiMH Eneloop cells.
A small LCD that displays life would be awesome.

The Fenix ARE-X1 comes close but doesn't adjust in length for cell size and doesn't charge NiMH.

I'm looking for recommendations, especially if you've used one with a solar panel.

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
Seems like that's asking a lot maybe, starting with the solar panel, if the rate was worst case conditions or best case.
There's a little one bay charger that Klarus makes, that charges Li-ion and NiMH, and it acts as a battery pack as well.
I have one and it seems to charge 18650 batteries fine but the unattended NiMH was a bit warmer than I'm used to, and from what I've since read here, is not the best charger for nimh. The others I charged while I was around reading, checked them every now and then and they charged fine, pulled them off when the light had turned green for a a few minutes or 15 and they were just a little warm.

Maybe that would work ok if you have enough solar.
On the plus side it's relatively small and light and inexpensive.

Maybe 20 times more area of cigs than this little poly square?
http://makezine.com/projects/solar-usb-charger/

Last edited:

michaelmcgo

Enlightened
That LiitoKala Lii-100 seems just about perfect (almost too perfect for the price). Thanks!

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast
it is because there is no need for a power adapter (110V to 5V)

BTW Opus BT-100 has surfaced at around the same price

Sphinxxx

Newly Enlightened
Glad somebody posted this. I was pretty surprised how well my 2w Voltaic did charging my MH20 light directly (straight from panel with no battery or regulator), but i get ridiculous sun here 6 days a week. I am pretty set on the Klarus for charging another 18650 to use as a backup and power bank. But the LiltoKala has a meter of sorts, that's really cool. What i REALLY want for my backpack is a cylinder/tube type of charger for just 18650....like the MH20 minus the light. That would be amazing.
Not to hijack the thread, but do any of those cylindrical power banks have a threaded cap so i can just remove the battery? Like Anker or Rev?

HarleyXJGuy

Newly Enlightened
Not an expert by any means but I am pretty sure my Xtar VC 2 Plus checks all your blocks although it is a two bay.

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast
Glad somebody posted this. I was pretty surprised how well my 2w Voltaic did charging my MH20 light directly (straight from panel with no battery or regulator), but i get ridiculous sun here 6 days a week. I am pretty set on the Klarus for charging another 18650 to use as a backup and power bank. But the LiltoKala has a meter of sorts, that's really cool. What i REALLY want for my backpack is a cylinder/tube type of charger for just 18650....like the MH20 minus the light. That would be amazing.
Not to hijack the thread, but do any of those cylindrical power banks have a threaded cap so i can just remove the battery? Like Anker or Rev?

there are some taht do. epsecially the rectangular ones...have a close look at the pics the website show.
but i would suggest checking the amp charging specs....Some require 1000mA and i do not knwo if your panel can constantly give as much.

Chuoiz

Newly Enlightened

if you already know Klarus brand ..I would advice you to take a look at CH11 usb charging unit...I had the same idea about minimal space and weight for backpack/camping trips.

Teobaldo

Newly Enlightened
I tested the Opus BT-C100 (received two days ago) with my 6 Watts solar panel and worked smoothly. I charged a Panasonic battery 2200 mAh (notebook recycled) without having problems with differences in input amperage (between 260 and 300 mAh). I did not fully charged for being only a test, however, for me it was more than enough.

27586445555_d8bd2b60d3_o.jpg

27513690921_90b55dac3e_o.jpg

27586451805_efac63cbbd_o.jpg

I think this charger meets all expectations of michaelmcgo and I recommend it without question. I just do not know is how much it will last, but I guess normal use should be several years.

Anyway, I think the best in portable power is to have a powerbank that is charged with solar panels and then connect the chargers as the BT-C100 to it.

TinderBox (UK)

Flashlight Enthusiast
Find a power bank with an ups function it can be getting solar charged while you have your usb charger plugged into the power bank, So clouds or no sun for an hour or so will not affect your charging battery`s

John.

Dave Dunn

Newly Enlightened
I've been wondering much the same thing,(although I already have the chargers,Nitecore UM20 and UM10) are there issues with using solar panels such as Teobaldo has and michaelmcgo describes,around 6 watts with low variable amperage outputs? I've been looking at similar solar panels with a view to using them to charge 18650 batteries while camping.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I have 4 battery power banks I got the cases off ebay and if I have a need for a solar cell I would alternate between those power banks using one to charge single cells. I also do have single cell cylindrical power banks (aluminum like) that the bottom screws off of them so you can swap batteries in/out and they do support dimming led modules that have a very low current draw on the lowest level (less than 1ma).

TinderBox (UK)

Flashlight Enthusiast
Check out the New Nitecore F1 single cell charger, I just got one and it`s reasonably cheap and has a power bank function 1amp, and it has UPS which means it can be getting charged while it is charging your phone/tablet ect and it is supposed to have an 90% efficiency which means more power from your li-ion cell gets into your device.

My only negative is the supplied silicone bands/straps attract the dust/dirt.

http://charger.nitecore.com/product/f1

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?418655-*2016*-New-Nitecore-Charger-F1

John.

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Would be awesome if the F1 can charge Eneloops too. That would be the ultimate travel/minimalist charger. There is the the Ch1 which I had. Had because it died after six months of light use. I won't buy another CH1.

keithy

Enlightened
Would be awesome if the F1 can charge Eneloops too. That would be the ultimate travel/minimalist charger. There is the the Ch1 which I had. Had because it died after six months of light use. I won't buy another CH1.
Interesting about the CH1. Do you know what failed?

I really like the Littokala Lii100 mentioned by TinderBox (UK) above. I have just ordered another one. It is bigger than my single cell Xtar chargers, has the advantage of also charging NiMH as well as Lithium, and it acts as a powerbank with Lithium cells.

TinderBox (UK)

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wish reviews gave a power bank efficiency rating, the Nitecore F1 specs says it`s 90% which is good, they can be as low as 70% which means 30% that`s (1020mah of an 3400mah cell) of your battery power never sees the phone/tablet you are charging.

John.

Last edited:

HKJ

Flashaholic
I wish reviews gave a power bank efficiency rating, the Nitecore F1 specs says it`s 90% which is good, they can be as low as 70% which means 30% that`s (1020mah of an 3400mah cell) of your battery power never sees the phone/tablet you are charging.

For the same power bank it can vary significantly depending on load and battery voltage. This can be seen in my Opus BT-C100 review (I do include efficiency curves).