• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Lumintop BLF GTvn - Best Reflector Thrower?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enderman

Enlightened
Re: Lumintop GTvn - Best Reflector Thrower?

iv already proved that is impossible. Even the Oslon would not hit 2 million. The throwing ability is 25% better based off the difference between the Xhp35 led and the CFT90 led in the TN42 host using real numbers. the bigger host will have the same 25% of throw improvement. Based on this guys estimate this led would need to have a 63% increase in throw over the xhp35 and its no where close. Now the led is not driven to its max in the tn42vn90. lets add 1000 more lumens and raise the throw Increase to 35%. So if the CFT90 throws 35% better in the GT over the Xhp35 then we get 1.7 million lux. and that is being generous. Im not trying to get you mad or anything i just dont want you to be dissapointed if its only 1.6m lol. and btw 1.6million and 5000 lumens is quite revolutionary in its own right.
Calculating lux based on other flashlights is not very accurate due to different heat dissipation and different current.
The CFT90 in the TN42vn90 is only driven at low currents, less than 20A even, and has less heat dissipation.

Here are the calculations for the lux with an Oslon Black Flat: https://www.desmos.com/calculator/dwdwkezaot
It will definitely get above 2Mcd, close to 2.4 at startup and then drop a bit due to heat.

Here is the calculation for a CFT90 running at 30A: https://www.desmos.com/calculator/gaqreazi9c
Almost 2Mcd however you need to take into account that that is 100W of heat, so that 2Mcd will only last a few seconds before it heats up and the output starts dropping.

Here is the calculation for the stock XHP35HI: https://www.desmos.com/calculator/8gma5tpmdk
1.275 Mcd which is exactly what everyone is measuring with their luxmeters +/- 0.02

The lux numbers vinh is getting are wrong because the beam has not diverged enough at 10m to give a correct reading in the hotspot.
Minimum 20m for an accurate number.

hahoo

Enlightened

Calculating lux based on other flashlights is not very accurate due to different heat dissipation and different current.
The CFT90 in the TN42vn90 is only driven at low currents, less than 20A even, and has less heat dissipation.

Here are the calculations for the lux with an Oslon Black Flat: https://www.desmos.com/calculator/dwdwkezaot
It will definitely get above 2Mcd, close to 2.4 at startup and then drop a bit due to heat.

Here is the calculation for a CFT90 running at 30A: https://www.desmos.com/calculator/gaqreazi9c
Almost 2Mcd however you need to take into account that that is 100W of heat, so that 2Mcd will only last a few seconds before it heats up and the output starts dropping.

Here is the calculation for the stock XHP35HI: https://www.desmos.com/calculator/8gma5tpmdk
1.275 Mcd which is exactly what everyone is measuring with their luxmeters +/- 0.02

The lux numbers vinh is getting are wrong because the beam has not diverged enough at 10m to give a correct reading in the hotspot.

Ladies and gentlemen , E.F. Enderman Hutton has spoken:eek:
better listen to this guy, he knows lights like carter knows pills :D

hahoo

Enlightened

so all those calculations are for the gt light enderman?
very interesting if so.

hahoo

Enlightened

So the beam temp for the GT is around 4000K? Hahaha YES!!! Sorry cool white lovers :laughing:

yep, it is.
actually not bad , till you see a 5500k light next to it
it does make it look a tad less bright, just because of the color difference

wimmer21

Flashlight Enthusiast

Sorry if I did. Blf gt came in this way and I have to accept it. I paid $115 for it.

Haha don't be sorry I enjoy it when people tease... heck that's about all I ever do to you anyway. When I say "making fun of" I mean that always in a good natured way. Lol I was teasing you on FB just the other day and you weren't even around... and I would never do that if I didn't really like you. I wouldn't bother.

Oh yes I know 4000K, or whatever it is, is the only option for the GT. :) I also got mine for $115

wimmer21

Flashlight Enthusiast

so if we send in our own gt to be modded , it looks like 240 bucks or so for parts and labor?

Haha I don't think so. I think the $400 estimate (or less if sending him your GT) that Vinh spoke of was a ballpark figure that he showed woul dnt even net him a decent profit. I think we'll have to pay a bit more... If he even decides to offer that mod.

Alex1234

Flashlight Enthusiast

yep, it is.
actually not bad , till you see a 5500k light next to it
it does make it look a tad less bright, just because of the color difference

Well damn. What a wealth of knowledge. Maybe your right. I honestly hope you are because 2m cd at start up would be insane. I'm even more excited now. I dident think the % of throw increase iver different leds would change bases off a light with a bigger reflector. Guess I'm wrong. Thanks for the knowledge bomb. I'm getting a cft90 in this light even if it cost $400. I can only measure at 10m at my appartment. No more room. I get 1 2m cd on my gt at 10m so maybe at 20m id get closer to 1.3m cd

Last edited:

Enderman

Enlightened

so all those calculations are for the gt light enderman?
very interesting if so.
Yup, that calculator has reflector values to GT spec.
I even helped design that part of the flashlight! :)

Well damn. What a wealth of knowledge. Maybe your right. I honestly hope you are because 2m cd at start up would be insane. I'm even more excited now. I dident think the % of throw increase iver different leds would change bases off a light with a bigger reflector. Guess I'm wrong. Thanks for the knowledge bomb. I'm getting a cft90 in this light even if it cost $400. I can only measure at 10m at my appartment. No more room. I get 1 2m cd on my gt at 10m so maybe at 20m id get closer to 1.3m cd
Thanks, I spent a lot of time making these desmos calculators for flashlights because I needed a way to quickly compare performance between my searchlight designs.
If you want, you can search this on google: "Advanced calculators for theoretical lumens, lux, beam divergence, and more, of custom LED flashlights" and you will find a few different ones I made, for lenses or reflectors and imperial/metric.
So far I have found it to be very accurate with the lights I've built or checked to confirm.

The things which add variation to the results are heat and stuff like reflector quality and glass transmission.
Heat is the biggest one, the other two are only a few percent, however for something like the GT it only becomes a concern with stuff like a CFT90.
It will still be able to be driven harder than in a TN42 for sure, so yeah I definitely recommend using that LED in the GT :)

What's really impressive is that the black flat will get over 2Mcd in a reflector flashlight, which will break LED+reflector record currently :) No wavien collar too!
(well, to be fair I got 4.6Mcd with a lens of that size instead of a reflector, thanks to a wavien collar)
Really excited to see people start modding the GT.

Bdm82

Flashlight Enthusiast
Enderman, nice work. I really don't have any substance to add here... but I wanted to compliment the work you've done there. Pretty cool.

star_c_star

Enlightened

Yup, that calculator has reflector values to GT spec.
I even helped design that part of the flashlight! :)

Thanks, I spent a lot of time making these desmos calculators for flashlights because I needed a way to quickly compare performance between my searchlight designs.
If you want, you can search this on google: "Advanced calculators for theoretical lumens, lux, beam divergence, and more, of custom LED flashlights" and you will find a few different ones I made, for lenses or reflectors and imperial/metric.
So far I have found it to be very accurate with the lights I've built or checked to confirm.

The things which add variation to the results are heat and stuff like reflector quality and glass transmission.
Heat is the biggest one, the other two are only a few percent, however for something like the GT it only becomes a concern with stuff like a CFT90.
It will still be able to be driven harder than in a TN42 for sure, so yeah I definitely recommend using that LED in the GT :)

What's really impressive is that the black flat will get over 2Mcd in a reflector flashlight, which will break LED+reflector record currently :) No wavien collar too!
(well, to be fair I got 4.6Mcd with a lens of that size instead of a reflector, thanks to a wavien collar)
Really excited to see people start modding the GT.

Enderman,

This is beginning to excite me.

What would be the approximate Candela value for the GTvn cft90 be after 1 minute or so, at room temperature? After 5 minutes? If it is still > 1.5 million Candela, I'll definitely buy it.
Of course, Vinh can design and build something to remove most of the excess heat, and probably delay the candela drop.

Last edited:

Enderman

Enlightened

Enderman, nice work. I really don't have any substance to add here... but I wanted to compliment the work you've done there. Pretty cool.
Thank you :)

Enderman,

This is beginning to excite me.

What would be the approximate Candela value for the GTvn cft90 be after 1 minute or so, at room temperature? After 5 minutes? If it is still > 1.5 million Candela, I'll definitely buy it.
Of course, Vinh can design and build something to remove most of the excess heat, and probably delay the candela drop.
I have no way of knowing how much it will heat up and output drop, however based on the underdriven CFT90 in the TN42vn90 I can say that it will be greater than 1.59Mcd.
Knowing that the GT will dissipate more heat, and that vinh is working on a more powerful driver, we can probably estimate it to be about 1.8Mcd +/-0.1 constant, about half way.

Awesome stuff enderman:rock:
Thanks!

sp5it

Enlightened

Lumintop did an excellent job!
Guys from BLF forum did excellent job designing that light. Lumintop was only a manufacturer. They did what was told. Nothing else.
Mike

jescereal

Newly Enlightened

Guys from BLF forum did excellent job designing that light. Lumintop was only a manufacturer. They did what was told. Nothing else.
Mike

Absolutely. Let's give credit where credit is due.

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened

I talked to member M4D M4X and I think here is where we think the credit is dued

Software: Tom E & Toykeeper
Overall light design input: "BLF Members"
Finalization of Circuitry, Reflector, Host and manufacturing: Lumintop

If I am wrong please correct me as so I can give credit exactly where its dued.

I am particularly interested in who exactly draft the design of the reflector. I absolutely love it! I hate reflectors that are too deep. From experience great depth greatly makes the hot spot smaller and shortened spill width while not increasing too much hot spot intensity. The GT reflector is wide and the depth is just right! :)

Thanks!

Last edited:

Enderman

Enlightened

I am particularly interested in who exactly draft the design of the reflector. I absolutely love it! I hate reflectors that are too deep. From experience great depth greatly makes the hot spot smaller and shortened spill width while not increasing too much hot spot intensity. The GT reflector is wide and the depth is just right! :)

Thanks!
Me and Jerommel spent a lot of time calculating the amount of surface area, spill angle, lumens, etc. to find the ideal reflector dimensions.

We made it have exactly 60 degrees of spill so that 75% of lumens go to the hotspot and 25% into spill.
There are diminishing returns on intensity by making the reflector deeper, it would make the spill less usable and mainly just increase the corona while almost making no difference to lux.
J3fyLSO.png

This is a pic I made almost two years ago for the GT, and you can see why we chose a reflector ~100mm deep (with 120 diameter), the lux doesn't increase much more past that point.

Also, the team members are (according to the BLF post):
Tom E: Narsil development
Texas Ace: PCB design
MRsDNF: Communication
Thijsco: CAD analist production / design
Fritz15: CAD analist production / design
M4DM4X: sales
Neal: contact in China

Looking forward to see more mods of the GT, I bet there are plenty of people waiting for Vinh to mod the GT with a black flat or synios :D
A Synios KW DLMQ31.SG will do almost 3Mcd in this light.

Last edited by a moderator:

hahoo

Enlightened

man, im starting to feel all warm and fuzzy inside.
see, blf, and cpf folks can get along!:D
we are all here for the same reason for sure;)
thanks for dropping by mr enderman, and sharing that info sir.
and thanks for all the hours of hard work on the reflector design.
it is definitely begging for a hotrod led to spark it off for sure!

hahoo

Enlightened

"".......... Looking forward to see more mods of the GT, I bet there are plenty of people waiting for Vinh to mod the GT with a black flat or synios :D
A Synios KW DLMQ31.SG will do almost 3Mcd in this light....... ""

:faint::drool::naughty: man, you could of at least waited a while to throw that bomb into the equation !
unreal there..
thats getting close to the lemax super-70:D

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened

man, im starting to feel all warm and fuzzy inside.
see, blf, and cpf folks can get along!:D
we are all here for the same reason for sure;)
thanks for dropping by mr enderman, and sharing that info sir.
and thanks for all the hours of hard work on the reflector design.
it is definitely begging for a hotrod led to spark it off for sure!

"arm and fuzzy inside" is exactly how I feel right now. Cant stop smiling hahaha

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened

Enderman,

Do you know where I can acquire the Synios KW DLMQ31.SG? Also can you explain the value on the green line?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.