Lux to Lumens

SemiMan

Banned
Perhaps, but that's currently beyond my electrical skills. I actually used to do actual output/runtime tests, and at the sub-/low- lumen outputs I use most (and the reviewers never test). Got a better quality DMM though, and have found its a ammeter function to tie in well with all my past runtime tests, so I'm quite happy using only it now. The efficiency differences between my lights at these low lows are quite significant, and some are off by many multiples from their exaggerated specs, so even "blunt" instruments are very revealing.

M_V.... the other DIY/Hacker :)

No electrical skills needed :) ..... If you have a 100 milliohm resistor, then it's 100 millivolts = 1 amp. If you have a good quality DMM, I expect it may have a 20mV scale?

Semiman

Bigwilly

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just one "Known" number should be enough.

One is not enough as you need to average the results to get an accurate calibration figure which runs to several points to the right of the decimal ie 1.564876. Without multiple data points the accuracy of the average won't be acceptable.

MAD777

Flashlight Enthusiast
One is not enough as you need to average the results to get an accurate calibration figure which runs to several points to the right of the decimal ie 1.564876. Without multiple data points the accuracy of the average won't be acceptable.
Sounds like a great excuse to buy more flashlights!
;)

Bigwilly

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds like a great excuse to buy more flashlights!
;)
True with the S54 specs, it'll be easy to get the calibration number lol. I just need to hit the lotto. Soooo many lights, soooo little money. Lmao.

SemiMan

Banned

No, that would be based on the assumption that the lumen measurements of all your test sources average out to "right". That is highly untrue. It's almost a given that on average, the quoted lumens from vendors is going to be high, so not matter how many you test, you cannot improve the accuracy of your calibration.

Multipoint calibration only help if you have a non-linear system.

One, accurate calibration source is infinitely more accurate than 20 inaccurate calibration sources.

Semiman

Bigwilly

Flashlight Enthusiast
No, that would be based on the assumption that the lumen measurements of all your test sources average out to "right". That is highly untrue. It's almost a given that on average, the quoted lumens from vendors is going to be high, so not matter how many you test, you cannot improve the accuracy of your calibration.

One, accurate calibration source is infinitely more accurate than 20 inaccurate calibration sources.

Semiman

You're assuming that the known lumen figures are correct and absolute. But it's been proven that lights vary from light to light and some manufacturers give overages and underages plus some lights were measured by other spheres and Vinh admits his figures are a little low. So again, using multiple sources and averaging them out is going to give me the best correction factor possible. And the more samples I use, the more accurate I will be.
If you you take a test and get 9 out of ten then you got 90% right. If you get 95 out 100 then you got 95%. And so on it goes as your sample size goed up the margin for accuracy also goes up.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast

Semiman

Yup, this ^^.

A large sample might get you a good industry average, but the overall industry is skewed toward exaggeration. That said, I would stand behind a sample consisting of HDS, Malkoff, Surefire and Elzetta - ANSI is an American standard and quality American firms somehow feel obligated to stand by both their products (warranty/CS), and their word (outputs/runtime). And I'm not a diehard patriot, most of collection is made in China - but I highly respect truth in advertising and stand-up companies.

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
A large sample might get you a good industry average, but the overall industry is skewed toward exaggeration.
Kinda reminds me of an old lab concerning error analysis. 4 of us were to each measure the same exact thing, 10 times each. The results were surprising. Graphs of our data and the resulting error bars weren't something I was expecting to see. We were literally using mechanical calipers to measure the same object. Of course, the fact that most of the group had no experience with this was probably a factor as well.

A source of error can be almost anything, even something weird like needing to change the batteries on a multimeter and not realize it.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Error_analysis_(mathematics)
In mathematics, error analysis is the study of kind and quantity of error, or uncertainty, that may be present in the solution to a problem. This issue is particularly prominent in applied areas such as numerical analysis and statistics.

Bigwilly

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yup, this ^^.

A large sample might get you a good industry average, but the overall industry is skewed toward exaggeration. That said, I would stand behind a sample consisting of HDS, Malkoff, Surefire and Elzetta - ANSI is an American standard and quality American firms somehow feel obligated to stand by both their products (warranty/CS), and their word (outputs/runtime). And I'm not a diehard patriot, most of collection is made in China - but I highly respect truth in advertising and stand-up companies.

Again, the multiple samples are needed to make the correction factor acurate as all factory lights will be off their ANSI spec for one reason or another. Some manufacturers are very close and some are off due to lesser manufacturing tolerances. I need the correction factor to be accurate as possible in order to conver the lux reading from the sensor into lumens. I've read numerous reviews from respected members and they've found some lights 15% lower than advertised. I have to go by the advertised figure therefore the more samples the less my correction factor is off.

I take manufacturers ratings with some skepticism. My first expensive hobby was car audio. In the 90's there was no oversight in their advertising. My first amplifier was made by company called Boss and was rated by them at 600 watts at 4 ohms. 2 channels by 300. In reality it would've needed to be struck by lightning to put out 600 watts. It really put out just over 200 watts total. Now I have a same era Rockford Punch Amp, 2 in fact, rated at 360 watts and their birth certificates show both over 380 watts. Of course stretching stuff is par for the course for advertising departments but some companies like Boss out and out lie.

Back to flashlights. If I use 1 Surefire light and let's say it's a poor example and is off by 25% then every light I test will be off by the same. If increase the sample size and average the correction factor then I'll have accuracy good enough for me. This method has worked for numerous reviewers - Selfbuilt, Jmpaul360, Vinh Nguyen, and others. I can only wish I had multiple lights from the companies you mention as they are very reputable but I can only measure lights in my possession. That being said, I'm using reputable factory lights and modded lights that were previously measured. The custom lights I own that haven't been measured will be excluded from the sample.

I agree about the stand up companies. I am loyal to my brands and not a fan of outsourcing.

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
Again, the multiple samples are needed to make the correction factor acurate as all factory lights will be off their ANSI spec for one reason or another. Some manufacturers are very close and some are off due to lesser manufacturing tolerances.
Oh yes, "small sample size error" can really throw things out of whack. There is never any harm in comparing 10 samples of the same thing. That sounds more like science to me.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Again, the multiple samples are needed to make the correction factor acurate as all factory lights will be off their ANSI spec for one reason or another.....I have to go by the advertised figure therefore the more samples the less my correction factor is off.

We are not at complete odds. What we are saying is that, if an ANSI laboratory tested a single lower mode (so batt. condition wasn't a factor) from one of your lights, and said that output is exactly X, then you be done and have your calibration light. The problem is knowing what true ANSI is, and all we are saying is that, testing more and more lights will not get you any closer to ANSI, and in fact may take you further and further away as, logically, on average, the industry is predisposed to exaggeration.

That said, once you do find a manufacturer, or reviewer, whom you believe to use true ANSI, then I agree that you will need more than a single matching mode (data point) to eliminate the risk of sample variation, etc. In my case, for example, I can match all the lower modes from 2 lights with the reviewer that I believe to use true ANSI... and this calibration also happens to match the lumen scale of my most trusted, stand-up manufacturers. BUT this scale does NOT match the majority of my lights (that tend to exaggerate), and ONLY one manufacturer, of my collection, I find overly conservative.

Of course, there is no certainty with any of this, but am now very comfortable with my scale, and IMHO if I where to use some sort of regression analysis from my whole collection, I'd be much worse off.

SemiMan

Banned
You may be better off with a single incandescent bulb at a fixed voltage. It should be possible to get one that's fairly accurately plus or minus five to 10%. I have my doubts about most manufacturers or almost any manufacturer is putting every single unit they make into a integrating sphere, and I certainly have my doubts that most of them even know how to use it properly. That is based on experience with leading Chinese companies not just a guess. A lot of the Chinese lighting companies may have fairly good equipment but limited knowledge in how to use it properly.

Last edited:

Bigwilly

Flashlight Enthusiast
You may be better off with a single incandescent bulb at a fixed voltage. It should be possible to get one that's fairly accurately plus or minus five to 10%. I have my doubts about most manufacturers are almost any manufacturer is putting every single lately make into a integrating sphere, and I certainly have my doubts that most of them even know how to use it properly. That is based on experience with leading companies not just a guess. A lot of the Chinese lighting companies may have fairly good equipment but limited knowledge in how to use it properly.

The single bulb may work, I see what your saying, but how do you arrive the correct lumens with it? How do you get the fixed voltage to it?

SemiMan

Banned
The single bulb may work, I see what your saying, but how do you arrive the correct lumens with it? How do you get the fixed voltage to it?

They will be specified at a given voltage. You will need a power supply to achieve that.

I will do some digging. I may be able to get some bulbs tested at say 12V, a fairly easy to get power supply voltage.

Bigwilly

Flashlight Enthusiast
They do look similar. And Koehler-Brightstar has some flashlights and headlamps that look suspeciously like Princeton Tec products.

The Brightstar has a nicad and alkaline option, so we know it takes full size batteries. The streamlight lists a nicad sub-c battery. And the head is smaller.

------------------
"A knifeless man is a lifeless man"
-Nordic proverb

[This message has been edited by DavidW (edited 08-13-2000).]

Excellent. Thank you for your help.

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
In this thread: we cannot stop the error analysis.
smile.gif

As a direct sensor reading, lux can be close to fact, but the least light pollution or smudge on your sensor and you're off. Now we're calling the lux meter itself into question. Is it calibrated? How long ago? Is it possibly damaged?

As a calculated and experimental value, lumens are a bit tricky to pin down within +-5% even for the big boys with pocket protectors, graphing calculators, spreadsheets, and no date on Friday night. So your lux meter is fine, but is your calibration factor off? Is there a new problem with the gear that formerly worked?

Again, the multiple samples are needed to make the correction factor acurate as all factory lights will be off their ANSI spec for one reason or another. Some manufacturers are very close and some are off due to lesser manufacturing tolerances. I need the correction factor to be accurate as possible in order to conver the lux reading from the sensor into lumens. I've read numerous reviews from respected members and they've found some lights 15% lower than advertised. I have to go by the advertised figure therefore the more samples the less my correction factor is off.
Oh yes, "small sample size error" can really throw things out of whack. There is never any harm in comparing 10 samples of the same thing. That sounds more like science to me.
Not just manufacturing tolerances, but different batteries can have huge impacts as well. To say a light has "one output and only one measurement is required" is not correct.

An example from our illustrious Vinh could be the many times where he has compared lux and lumens with the same flashlight but different batteries. We've seen raw max/min spreads in excess of 25%! I'd post a link, but this comes up so frequently and lux/lumens are said so frequently in the V54 forum that it's actually kind of hard to search for an example. :eek:

This is a factor, particularly on current boosted lights where max/turbo is direct drive and the light becomes limited by resistances of the system and what the battery is capable of providing. In certain such lights, a protected battery that trips at 5 amps or a battery with poor maximum drain is going to get functionally stomped by something like the Sony VTC5 (30 amp continuous) and you'd never know without taking multiple data points and scratching your head over the "error bars." What was the cause of the discrepancy?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Error_bar
Error bars are a graphical representation of the variability of data and are used on graphs to indicate the error, or uncertainty in a reported measurement. They give a general idea of how precise a measurement is, or conversely, how far from the reported value the true (error free) value might be. Error bars often represent one standard deviation of uncertainty, one standard error, or a certain confidence interval (e.g., a 95% interval). These quantities are not the same and so the measure selected should be stated explicitly in the graph or supporting text.

Error bars can be used to compare visually two quantities if various other conditions hold. This can determine whether differences are statistically significant. Error bars can also suggest goodness of fit of a given function, i.e., how well the function describes the data. Scientific papers in the experimental sciences are expected to include error bars on all graphs, though the practice differs somewhat between sciences, and each journal will have its own house style.
When I was partying my brains out in engineering college, error analysis was a freshman first semester sort of topic. My first reaction to error analysis math was "WTH is this???" After I wrapped my head around it, I saw that no engineering can be complete without it.

Hate it if you want, but you cannot escape error analysis. Just one measurement is the Diet Coke of analysis. Just one calorie, not enough. :)

We are not at complete odds. What we are saying is that, if an ANSI laboratory tested a single lower mode (so batt. condition wasn't a factor) from one of your lights, and said that output is exactly X, then you be done and have your calibration light. The problem is knowing what true ANSI is, and all we are saying is that, testing more and more lights will not get you any closer to ANSI, and in fact may take you further and further away as, logically, on average, the industry is predisposed to exaggeration.

Of course, there is no certainty with any of this, but am now very comfortable with my scale, and IMHO if I where to use some sort of regression analysis from my whole collection, I'd be much worse off.
Part of error analysis is being able to throw out obviously erroneous data, including bogus manufacturer claims.

I see what you're saying about using false maker claims as part of calibration. IMHO, one of the hardest things about calibration scales as we're discussing is getting started with valid data. Using bogus data to calibrate will definitely cause issues, I agree with you completely sir! :)

Last edited:

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some links for further reading on error analysis.

Shake hands and say hello:http://astro.physics.uiowa.edu/ITU/glossary/percent-error-formula/

This link appears to be an excellent error analysis overview:
http://felix.physics.sunysb.edu/~allen/252/PHY_error_analysis.html
Random errors vs systematic errors:
As the number of trials become large, random errors should become apparent on a bell curve.

Unfortunately, systematic errors (you're doing something wrong) aren't necessarily revealed by that method.

For good error analysis, even the format of your mathematical formula is important. This concept is called "propogation of error."

The neat thing about error analysis is you're basically "proving how wrong you were" and giving yourself a chance to try again and fix it.

The more people who try it and compare notes, the larger the error bars will be. It's the nature of the beast.

Oops, the battery in trial #42 wasn't fully charged and the battery in #53 was near the end of its useful life.

Last edited:

SemiMan

Banned

The great thing about a "standard" bulb, especially if using a common voltage, say 12V, especially incan, is ease of measurement.

- 12V regulated supplies are easy to obtain and cheap, <$10-20
- Most people in this hobby at least own a multimeter, and likely accurate to 0.2% DC
- You can wire up the bulb and measure the voltage at the bulb. It if says 11V or 13V, the supply is no good, the leads to the bulb is no good, or your meter is crap. Fortunately, most of us have lots of things around the house to compare to. USB chargers, fully charged batteries, etc. You are going to know if you meter is at least pretty close. Many of us have 2 (or more) meters.
- Even if you voltage is off by 0.1-0.2V, there are well defined formulas for calculating light output at those voltages with an incan to compensate for the error.

Incans require little burn-in as well.

We could calibrate an LED, could even build a simple board with an LED, some heatsinking, and the constant current circuitry on board. If you stick to Luxeons, they tend to have the least droop w.r.t. temperature. Output does change in the first 50-100 hours of operation but tends to not be large.

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast

Semiman

I can confirm this, I am fortunate to have access to one of these handheld integrating spheres at work:

http://www.labspherestore.com/product-p/aa-00775-00x.htm

I can verify who is lying about their lumen claims by pointing one of my flashlights inside the opening and pushing a single button. All of them are lying. Some manufacturers claims are slightly over, some are insanely over. There is actaully very little relationship between advertised lumens and what you actually get, even when comparing multiple products from the same manufacturer.

Even the select few manufacturers who advertise ANSI lumens can't be used as a point of reference as they almost invariably understate their products' output to avoid lawsuits from people like me :)

Last edited:

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can confirm this, I am fortunate to have access to one of these handheld integrating spheres at work:

http://www.labspherestore.com/product-p/aa-00775-00x.htm

I can verify who is lying about their lumen claims by pointing one of my flashlights inside the opening and pushing a single button. All of them are lying. Some manufacturers claims are slightly over, some are insanely over. There is actaully very little relationship between advertised lumens and what you actually get, even when comparing multiple products from the same manufacturer.

Even the select few manufacturers who advertise ANSI lumens can't be used as a point of reference as they almost invariably understate their products' output to avoid lawsuits from people like me :)

Care to share any details on your lights and/or which manufacturers you find reasonably conservative/accurate vs those that overly exaggerate? :D

Any CPF reviewers here that you think is closest to true ANSI?

Latest posts