M6 or M6LT?

Which M6 is "the one" to get?

• Total voters

Monocrom

Flashaholic
My old M6 was yellow and weak even with the 500 lumen bulb....and the bulbs burned out fairly quickly.

The runtime with the stock MN21 being only 20 minutes is no secret. There are other lamp options for better runtimes. The issue regarding the yellow and weak bulb that burned out too quickly sounds familiar. A defective bulb. My M6 is currently in its stock configuration. On a fresh set of half a case of CR123 cells, it's pumping out closer to 650 lumens. Definitely not weak nor a sickly yellow. Pragmatic? No. But that doesn't matter. :)

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Complaining about the runtime on your M6 is like complaining about the gas mileage on your Humvee :thumbsup:

leadsled9

Newly Enlightened
The issue regarding the yellow and weak bulb that burned out too quickly sounds familiar. A defective bulb. My M6 is currently in its stock configuration. :)

I didn't explain very well. I wasn't implying that the bulb in the m6 was yellow and weak or defective.....it just seemed that way compared to the m6lt. I ran many bulbs through my trusty m6 over the course of 5 years or so....but never any of the improved ones like the Malkoffs. It might have been better with the upgraded bulbs of today.

Have you ever run your M6 next to the M6LT, side-by-side?? I have. If you ever get a chance to do it I think you will see what I'm talking about. Using the stock Surefire 500 lumen incandescent bulb in the M6.....it really can't come close to competing against the M6Lt.

I originally had planned to keep the M6 and the M6LT....but after seeing the difference....there wasn't much point so I sold the M6 on ebay. The good news is that the difference of what I got for the M6 and the cost of the m6lt was only about $70....so the upgrade to the M6LT was very mild.

brighterisbetter

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've bought and subsequently sold numerous M6's in the past. I'm inevitably drawn to them in one way or another as there's nothing quite like them IMO. Invariably though the reason I end up parting ways each time is the same; I just don't see myself carrying it. If I want a pocketable light for EDC duty this certainly isn't it. If I want a "wow" light for show-off purposes I'll reach for something much larger and more powerful. As cool as the M6 looks and satisfying in the hand, it's never been a go-to for me and for that reason alone it ends up for sale. YMMV of course; I will agree though that it's one light a true flashaholic must experience at least once. Go for the classic.

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just received a stock M6 in the mail today! I am the epitome of a flashiholic hoarder. I have the stock M6 on my display shelf, an M6 w/MD60 in my truck emergency kit, M6LT at work, "sea cucumber" w/MD10 (my personal favorite), and a boxed M6LT sitting with all the other lights I don't use.

Whats my point? Get them both!

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Well, I have both, and use the MN15 or MD60 in the M6. The MN15 has the advantage of good color rendition at night, good detail, and the MD60 is almost as good, as mine seems to have a warmish color, not green. For sheer lumen output and reach down a street, for example, the M6LT is just plain awesome!!! It is that wonderful optic that Surefire uses to focus the the beam into a solid, dense hotspot that reaches way out there. I have done bounce with a light meter, comparing the M6LT to some of my other lights, and it is putting out approximately 1300 lumens at start up, and settling down to 1100 after a few minutes. It is not the output that is so spectacular, it is that all of those 1100 + lumens are in the hotspot, giving it that massive throw.

Bill

THE_dAY

Flashlight Enthusiast
Secondly, it's been confirmed that the XM-L in the M6LT will be succeeded by an upcoming XM-L2 which could be anywhere from 10 to 20% brighter or more efficient.

Please tell me more!
I've searched and haven't found any info on an upcoming M6LT with XML2.

Thanks

Flea Bag

Enlightened
Please tell me more!
I've searched and haven't found any info on an upcoming M6LT with XML2.

Thanks

I'm sorry, I should have phrased my sentence better... Here's how I would put it: The M6LT uses a Cree XM-L which is currently the most effective LED in this power range. However, it's been confirmed that Cree will be releasing an XM-L2. If the newer XM-L2 is anything like what the XP-G2 was to the XP-G, then we'd see a 10 to 20% improvement in performance whether be it in terms of brightness or longer runtimes!

When the above-happens, the older XM-L M6LT could drop in re-sale price depending on how SF introduces the XM-L2 into their lights, if at all. If the SureFire U2 (When they replaced the Luxeon V with the SSC P4 emitter) is anything to go by, they could de-tune the circuit to still produce similar output but have the benefit of longer runtimes or they could use the same circuit and be able to claim higher output figures in their marketing material.

The jump won't be as big as was the case with the U2 where the SSC P4 enabled the U2 to be slightly brighter and have longer runtimes as well.

Last edited:

THE_dAY

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Flea Bag! I wondering if Vinh could pry that head open for an XML2 swap?

I'll have to keep my eyes open over on CPFM for any M6LTs.

ARA

Enlightened
I have both as well and either will serve you well. The M6 being discontinued means you wont find it easily going forward. Whatever choice you make do make sure to get 18650 and/or 17670 battery holders from mdocod, they make it a lot easier and cheaper running them.

cheers

think2x

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great points from both sides. I'm leaning towards the incan for now because of all the options you have with it but it's still a tough choice.

leadsled9

Newly Enlightened
Great points from both sides. I'm leaning towards the incan for now because of all the options you have with it but it's still a tough choice.

If you can find some folks close to you who have an M6 and M6LT and do a side by side comparison....I think it will be easy for you to decide. Let the beams make the decision for you.

think2x

Flashlight Enthusiast
Unfortunately that's the downside to living in a small town. I could almost guarantee no one near me has one, much less both.

leadsled9

Newly Enlightened
It really depends on your needs. If you have a need for a high power search light type of thrower.....the M6Lt is the one for you.

If you prefer a more floody type of beam that is less intense...then get the M6.

Personally I think my old M6 looked better as it was slightly shorter....the the M6LT fits my needs better....as I need a thrower, even if it is uglier.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
My vote goes for the M6LT with it's massive throw optic.
From the Goinggear video's the beam is amazing, one big giant hotspot with little to no spill.

After all this is a distance light and no wasted light from side spill that would backwash your view.

Well, I have both, and use the MN15 or MD60 in the M6. The MN15 has the advantage of good color rendition at night, good detail, and the MD60 is almost as good, as mine seems to have a warmish color, not green. For sheer lumen output and reach down a street, for example, the M6LT is just plain awesome!!! It is that wonderful optic that Surefire uses to focus the the beam into a solid, dense hotspot that reaches way out there. I have done bounce with a light meter, comparing the M6LT to some of my other lights, and it is putting out approximately 1300 lumens at start up, and settling down to 1100 after a few minutes. It is not the output that is so spectacular, it is that all of those 1100 + lumens are in the hotspot, giving it that massive throw.

Bill

I have no experience of M6 but have the M6LT, and highly agree with you. Sometimes a bright spill is a disadvantage and I find that the very small amount of spill with M6LT is still enough for seeing what's in the close foreground.