Mag-Tac LED new from Mag-Lite...

appliancejunk

Enlightened
I see the spec show it's only 5.25" long x 1" head diameter, but it sure looks larger in the photo of it in someones hand.

Maybe they have small hands or that clip makes it look like a larger flashlight in the hand.

El Camino

Newly Enlightened
To me it looks like it's about the same size as the XL series. Possibly a little longer.

Raze

Enlightened
MagTac now available at Brightguy.com

$75.50 Crowned bezel (MAGSG2LRA6- Hi-output & strobe. 320 lumens)
$65.50 Flat bezel (MAGSG2LRE6 - Hi & Lo-output, with momentary. 310 lumens)

I see only black is currently available. I am looking forward to get one of each in Desert Sand/Tan and the Foliage Green, so imma wait this out.

Any takers?

shao.fu.tzer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was about to pull the trigger and take one for the team, but it seems like every time I do that, someone orders one with overnight shipping and by the time I get mine in the mail, there's already a full review with beamshots, runtime graphs, and disassembly instructions. It's mighty tempting though, seeing as though the black mini AA I got for X-mas as a boy all those years ago is what got me into this hobby. The pocket clip looks like it's being held on with a scope ring - I'm sure it's sturdy as all get out, but... WOW, it really makes the light look ugly to me. I also like the cren bezel, but have no desire for another light with strobe. So it looks like someone else is going to have to be the guinea pig on this one.

Shao

...on a completely unrelated note, spellcheck doesn't recognize disassembly as a word...

El Camino

Newly Enlightened
Mag should just offer the same light with a choice of bezels and tailcaps. I want the cren bezel, but momentary on. Strobe is cool, but useless. Maybe they will offer parts separately in the future.

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
MagTac now available at Brightguy.com

$75.50 Crowned bezel (MAGSG2LRA6- Hi-output & strobe. 320 lumens)
$65.50 Flat bezel (MAGSG2LRE6 - Hi & Lo-output, with momentary. 310 lumens)

I see only black is currently available. I am looking forward to get one of each in Desert Sand/Tan and the Foliage Green, so imma wait this out.

Any takers?
I was about to pull the trigger and take one for the team, but it seems like every time I do that, someone orders one with overnight shipping and by the time I get mine in the mail, there's already a full review with beamshots, runtime graphs, and disassembly instructions.
I've finally gotten an update on the MAG-TAC. Only military orders have been fulfilled, and it hasn't shipped to retailers yet. It will be shipped to retailers soon, along with my samples. :)

tjhabak

Enlightened
I've finally gotten an update on the MAG-TAC. Only military orders have been fulfilled, and it hasn't shipped to retailers yet. It will be shipped to retailers soon, along with my samples. :)

Not sure how I lucked out, but I ordered the crennelated version from Brightguy.com. It arrived Saturday. Overall, I'm fairly impressed, although, it seems like the $75 price point is a bit high. It has a great beam profile, slanted more to throw than flood, with little to no artifact. Just a bright well defined hot spot, well defined from the adequate but not overbearing spill. It's one of the nicest XP-G beams I've seen with a smooth reflector. The pocket clip is rock solid, and heavy duty. I have heard some say it is ugly, but I think its ok. It is definitely big and heavy enough for real-world use. The battery tube looks to be the same diameter (internal & external) as the XL series, with what looks like a delrin spacer to hold the CR 123's. Not sure how easily this would be removed/bored to accomodate an 18650. ( I know Mag will be mortified by this speculation!)
The over-all fit and finish are good. The dull black anno looks like HAIII. It has a no b.s. ready for duty appearance, while not being dull or un-exciting.
This light is in my opinon both a departure for Mag, and a step in the right direction. It's not the brightest or smallest 2x123 light, but I can't think of anything that would require more than the 320 lumens put out by a light like this. I am a firefighter/paramedic, but I would think this light, behind the powerful Maglite name will be popular with military and police personnel.
My final thoughts are that I am happy to have this one in the collection, and I will enjoy playing with it! Also, until my kids figure out the double-click for constant on, the batteries are protected from being killed by being left on and discarded once they get distracted by something more fun to play with. ;)

El Camino

Newly Enlightened
tjhaback: Lucky score! Thanks for the run down. I really want one, but I can't decide which version, and I might wait for them to show up Amazon or something. Would you say it's much brighter than the XL200?

appliancejunk

Enlightened

Only military orders have been fulfilled?

I posted 5 days ago that BrightGuy.com had them in stock and it seem from the post above they are already in the hands of at least one CPF member.

In any case I really enjoyed your reviews and will be looking forward to your review of the MAG-TAG.

Raze

Enlightened
Only military orders have been fulfilled?

I posted 5 days ago that BrightGuy.com had them in stock and it seem from the post above they are already in the hands of at least one CPF member.

In any case I really enjoyed your reviews and will be looking forward to your review of the MAG-TAG.

Maybe that's why only Black is available ?

Maybe the Military got the Urban Gray, Tan, and Fol. Green first.

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not sure how I lucked out, but I ordered the crennelated version from Brightguy.com. It arrived Saturday. Overall, I'm fairly impressed, although, it seems like the $75 price point is a bit high. It has a great beam profile, slanted more to throw than flood, with little to no artifact. Just a bright well defined hot spot, well defined from the adequate but not overbearing spill. It's one of the nicest XP-G beams I've seen with a smooth reflector. The pocket clip is rock solid, and heavy duty. I have heard some say it is ugly, but I think its ok. It is definitely big and heavy enough for real-world use. The battery tube looks to be the same diameter (internal & external) as the XL series, with what looks like a delrin spacer to hold the CR 123's. Not sure how easily this would be removed/bored to accomodate an 18650. ( I know Mag will be mortified by this speculation!)
The over-all fit and finish are good. The dull black anno looks like HAIII. It has a no b.s. ready for duty appearance, while not being dull or un-exciting.
This light is in my opinon both a departure for Mag, and a step in the right direction. It's not the brightest or smallest 2x123 light, but I can't think of anything that would require more than the 320 lumens put out by a light like this. I am a firefighter/paramedic, but I would think this light, behind the powerful Maglite name will be popular with military and police personnel.
My final thoughts are that I am happy to have this one in the collection, and I will enjoy playing with it! Also, until my kids figure out the double-click for constant on, the batteries are protected from being killed by being left on and discarded once they get distracted by something more fun to play with. ;)

Sounds awesome, thanks for the fb. Nothing wrong with a little extra size & heft (inb4 she said). Great for anything except bragging about who has the brightest:smallest. Can't wait to see how it feels in my hand inb4?

tjhabak

Enlightened
I can't quantify it, but to the naked eye, yes, the Mag-Tac is noticeably brighter. I don't think you'll regret it if you pick one up, once you decide wuich one you want!

tjhaback: Lucky score! Thanks for the run down. I really want one, but I can't decide which version, and I might wait for them to show up Amazon or something. Would you say it's much brighter than the XL200?

TOJ

Newly Enlightened
Can anyone tell me what the purpose of the crowned vs regular head is?

Onuris

Newly Enlightened

Interested to know if the lens is glass or plastic, and if the reflector is aluminum or plastic. If they are plastic, might be a deal breaker for me, as there are plenty of lights out there at that price point with better quality materials. Also how easy is it to disassemble, get to the reflector, led, electronics?

shao.fu.tzer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can anyone tell me what the purpose of the crowned vs regular head is?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong here, but I believe crenulated (hmmm.. another word spellcheck doesn't recognize) bezels were originally designed to allow the user to see light spilling out from the emitter if the light were left bezel down on a flat surface. I believe that their purpose has evolved since then, and while still great for that, on a "tactical" light, I would think that they're there to aid in the light's use as a striking/control device. I like slight crenulations, but larger ones tend to muck up the beam profile, with extreme examples like the Solarforce A001 bezel with Klingon tri-tip death razor bezel ring forcing the beam into a triangular shape.

Shao

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
They need to make sure that a single 18650 works. If it doesn't, they just lost most of this forum.
They don't care about "most of this forum". Their market is and always has been the average Joe who does his flashlight shopping at Walmart, Home Depot, and sporting goods stores.

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
They don't care about "most of this forum". Their market is and always has been the average Joe who does his flashlight shopping at Walmart, Home Depot, and sporting goods stores.

Also you could always run a 16650 if you wanted too (assuming the driver will work ok on that voltage).

tjhabak

Enlightened
Interested to know if the lens is glass or plastic, and if the reflector is aluminum or plastic. If they are plastic, might be a deal breaker for me, as there are plenty of lights out there at that price point with better quality materials. Also how easy is it to disassemble, get to the reflector, led, electronics?

The lens and reflector are the samer lexan and plastic used in the XL series. I seem to remember in a thread about the XL200, that someone said a glass lens would be available from Mag.

Sent from my PC36100 using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2