Mag2D LuxIII nFlex mod (8 brightness levels).

greenLED

Flashaholic
Re: Mag2D LuxIII nFlex mod (8 brightness levels)

Does it matter which one of the yellow wires you solder to SWA and SWB?

What gauge of wire did you use?

I'm making a list of mods I want to make and this is *definitely* one of them. Great pics! Those are of big help!

Icarus

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
greenLED said:
Does it matter which one of the yellow wires you solder to SWA and SWB?

What gauge of wire did you use?

I'm making a list of mods I want to make and this is *definitely* one of them. Great pics! Those are of big help!

[/ QUOTE ]

After modding, the switch is isolated from the Mag body, so it doesn't matter which of the yellow wires you solder to SWA and SWB. You can use whatever kind of wire you want. Of course I don't recommend using solid wires.

Billson

Flashlight Enthusiast

Just came across this thread. How do you know when it's time to recharge the batteries so you don't end up over-discharging them.

Icarus

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would suggest to recharge the batteries as soon as you see a drop in brightness.

Neg2LED

Flashlight Enthusiast
being DC i would have expected a solid wire to work better than a braided one - DC travels THROUGH the wire, while AC travels on the SURFACE of the wire - for AC, braided is better, for DC, solid is better....

oh and one more thing - what kind of goop did you use to fill the void in the heatsink (o-sink or hotlips as it may be)? Arctic Alumina Adhesive? and did you put any thermal goo between the HS and the Mag body?

thanks again!

--neg

Icarus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Solid wire can easily break off when it's bend that's why I always use stranded wire in my mods.
You're right about the AC/DC story but in fact each wire in the strand is also a thin solid wire.

The white goop at the back of the heatsink is Devcon 2Ton mixed with alumina oxide powder.
It isn't really necessary but fixes the wires to the sink to prevent breaking off the leads to the led.

sanbenny999

Newly Enlightened

very nice flashligth!!!

sanbenny:rock: :rock: :rock:

Neg2LED

Flashlight Enthusiast

Icarus, when you made this, did you have to do anything to the reflector other than de-camming it?

thanks!

--neg

wtraymond

Enlightened
I just built a Lux V version of this light with a WWOT and 8AA adaptor. I found your pictures very helpful in modding the switch and mounting the nFlex board. Your's is a very neat installation and excellent workmanship.

Thanks for the great post.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just wanted to say thanks for the pics as well. Though I didn't comment on this thread in particular, this is the thread that most directly gave me confidence to do my first Lux mods.

Though I didn't build it myself, my absolutely very favorite Mag-based light is a UW0K in a 2C with an nFlex and 2 18650 cells. I absolutely love it to pieces and one of my other favorite mods I've seen on this forum is WildRice's PQS-D with 4 different colored Lux IIIs, an nFlex and a pot to switch between the different LEDs. VERY trick!

On the size issue... did they reduce the size of the nFlex board? Again, I didn't build it, but my light most assuredly has an nFlex controller in the 2C host.

Icarus

Flashlight Enthusiast
MOD076drivercagefinishedpic2300x.jpg

:thanks: for the kind words guys.
Now I'm mounting the nFlex board in his own cage on top of the switch. ;)

Grubbster

Enlightened
Icarus said:
:thanks: for the kind words guys.
Now I'm mounting the nFlex board in his own cage on top of the switch. ;)
I am lovin' that cage! Any plans to make these available to those of us modding mortals?

wtraymond

Enlightened
Grubbster said:
I am lovin' that cage! Any plans to make these available to those of us modding mortals?

I've got a feeling that you're better off designing a new cage for the up-coming FatFlex board. That's going to be a very popular toy. It should be the same diameter as the Fatman but will have components on both sides of the board.

Neg2LED

Flashlight Enthusiast
depends - if you want buck, use the nFlex Cage. if you want boost, use the FatFlex Holder.....

--neg

Icarus

Flashlight Enthusiast
MOD076switchfrontpic1800x.jpg

Here's another picture, mounted on top of the MagD switch. :)

Since I have to make them on my hand operated lathe and mill it's too time consuming :sweat: to sell them separately, sorry. :shrug:

Hoop

Enlightened
This is such a beautiful build. Every component is done to a high standard. I like how all the pictures are still up after a decade of hosting.