Magnetic Control Ring Popularity

Samy

Enlightened
I use my Sunwayman V10a every day, though i'm pretty keen on getting the Nitecore SRT7.

cheers

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Battery Overhead - How often do you need to run your light on low for 200 hours? Use a rechargeable battery, end of story. If you want a battery vampire get a separate light for just that purpose and enjoy the pleasure of infinite variability.

I camp with little to no ambient light, can be off grid for a while, and potentially need emergency runtime or blinding power. While I do agree that there's little need to run a light for ~ 200 hrs at a lumen/sub-lumen level, I personally like the idea of being able to run it 50 hrs on a low low (about where an IV light would be dead), and still have 45 mins of runtime at max, or 75% remaining cell capacity if I need to cannibalize the batt. to power another device. Since I do happen to use low lows most of the time, having to carry and change 2-4x the number of batteries is simply not worth the margin luxury of IV rings (for me).

Megatrowned

Enlightened
We all will have different uses and preferences for our lights. And all the lights can't do everything all the time. So use a batt vampire light for long camping trips or emergencies. Use a 4,000 lm light for hunting, search and rescue, blinding your siblings, ect.

But the magnetic control lights hit right down the middle of the road. It covers a wide margin of what most of us will cross in EDC use, or even in more extreme circumstances. And, even if you don't really like a control ring light for personal use, most here would admit that it is a very elegant method of controlling light output. Blinking through modes may be preferred/more efficient, but it's not really elegant.

And there doesn't seem to be much love for the RRT-0 here. This is a great light. I have used it at work for well over a year, and still going strong.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Like Kestrel, who posted earlier, I have a Surefire U2. It has the original magnetic control ring setup. It is probably the last flashlight that I would get rid of. Very durable, and modable.

Bill

uetecu

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys I just joined! :wave:

My first experience was not great after purchasing the Jetbeam RRT-01. I loved the feel and finish of this particular light but after a week of use the magnetic ring developed issues. The lowest setting (barely visible light) stopped working all together and the ring had to be rotated a few degrees before it would turn on but that meant the lowest output was approx. 100 lumens. Then it developed a series of mysterious detents that would make the light increase in lighting levels and would 'jump' into higher lighting levels without the linearity . This to me was heartbreaking since it worked perfectly the few days. This was a not a great first experience but I was adamant that not all lights should have this issue. I eventually returned the product and replaced it with the Sunwayman V11R.

As my EDC the Sunwayman V11R has been the most solid little guys to carry with me everywhere. The magnetic ring is very firm compared to the RRT-01 but to me that's better than being too loose. The flooding of the OP reflector is perfect to me and the tint is beautiful. On highest running a RCR123A it would light up most of a 15m high tree standing 20m away. Because I love this V11R so much I just ordered the Sunwayman V20R as well to add to my little collection. After reading a few of the reviews here including Selfbuilt's. (I really enjoy watching his reviews btw, I just hope one day he will carry out night shot video tests as well for all his tests :thumbsup:), I couldn't resist and purchased the Nitecore SRT7 over the weekend (for Father's day of course).

The Nitecore SRT7 is a beautiful light. The magnetic ring is firm yet not too firm and detents are crisp. I did notice some minor flickering the first time though when I ran it on the maximum detent. There was a tiny bit of play which would indicate it was slightly touching onto strobe. It did it once or twice after that but hasn't done it since. Since Nitecore and Jetbeam are owned by the same company (Sysmax I think?) this is a bit concerning as its starting to remind me of the issues of I had with the Jetbeam RRT-01. For now it's ok but I do wonder how much longer it will last but at the end of the day, it is a moving part which is probably not great long term. Best thing to do IMO is to be as gentle as possible to reduce its wear and tear. Apart from this minor concern I really do love this light. The concentration of the beam with the SMO reflector is beautiful and a nice amount of floodiness. Compared to my EA4W, the beam pattern is much nicer in regards to the balance of spot light and floodiness. The lowest low is definitely not 0.1 lumens as claimed, I tried using it when my 2yo was sleeping, it would be more around 1-2 lumens (enough to potentially wake him up). Not a big deal but Nitecore shouldn't claim it as 0.1 lumeans (false advertising). My V11R has a true low low, that's why it would be my favourite next to the SRT7 which is my now favourite XL EDC. The forgiving feature is that this thing is a monster thrower and versatile light with its variable control which is a high priority for me (I don't like clicking through many modes and levels like the EA4, its hardly in use now). I found it acceptable to fit in my front or back jeans pocket, with a bit of bulge due to the head. What does help a lot is the relatively thin body.

Hope this helps some of you out there, I just couldn't resist joining this forum to share my recent experiences. :)

Etsu

Enlightened
As you say, cool gadget. I like the idea of it, but the more stuff you add the more failure points there are. If I was camping, a fancy flashlight would be great as a primary light, but I'd want a simple on/off light as a backup.

recDNA

Flashaholic
I love the rrt-0. Wish they would build an xpg2 version.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

johnjr

Newly Enlightened
When I tried a control ring light it would turn on in my pocket and this was not good!
I never felt it was as rugged or waterproof as a clicky and for the price I could almost get an entry level HDS clicky which does not operate as you say they all do?

The HDS is an amazing light and I have also found the HDS Rotary which is like a hybrid Clicky/Rorary and pretty much the perfect EDC light for me.

I do plan on trying a control ring light again but only after they have evolved a little more.

Ed

I got one of the Jetbeams RRT-0 Raptor and it has the control ring and has a rear clicky to turn it on and it will not turn on in your pocket, the control ring is great, I purchased several of the Nitecore series with the ring and didn't care for them but the Jetbeams kick butt!!!

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
Control ring is my favorite interface for everyday use. Around the house, out and about on short trips, there's nothing like it. If all you've used is the click-click-doubledick-click our-engineers-aren't-even-trying-so-we-hope-you-accept-mediocrity interfaces, the ring is incredibly refreshing and wonderful to use. Best interface for plain ol' everyday use.

But I have a number of uses for which it isn't as well suited.

- For defensive use, I have to be able to guarantee the light will come on in high. Control rings can and do get turned in the pocket.

- For emergency/earthquake/BOB-gethome type use (e.g., I'm headed to SF for the evening, trip to LA with the kids, etc), the battery drain makes it unsuitable. I want lowest-low to be so efficient I can use it practically for free, etc.

- When I'm traveling super light and need a minimum-sized light, control ring adds where more length than needed

Right now, though I'm not exactly thrilled with the interface, a TN12 is both my defensive and travel/earthquake light, because once I lock it on high it stays there, moonlight can last for weeks, etc. There are other lights around now with better interfaces (I hate the head-twisty, sometimes the mode doesn't change and it's incredibly awkward regardless) and similar performance, though the TN12 is in "good enough" status with me.

But 80% of my actual flashlight use? I'll choose my control ring light, every time!

Last edited:

Streak

Enlightened
It's a good question.
I asked the same one relating the the ZL interface.
From an EDC point of view, once you get used to being able to easily select your brightness level from the off position its difficult using any other flashlight.

I have always wondered why more manufacturers don't have products with these features whatever the UI to achieve them.

stevenkelby

Enlightened
I've got several examples of every popular interface and agree that control ring is the most intuitive and easiest to learn, you don't really need to learn at all, just turn more for more light.

For me though, I much prefer the ZL single side button interface on the new ones like SC52 and S6630. Just because they suit me and are ideal for what I want. No need to move anything but my thumb down by 1mm to access every level, a natural hand grip/position and fast access to many levels.

The button is opposite the clip so falls directly under my thumb naturally.

I would prefer that interface on all my lights and don't use my control ring lights anymore, even though Nitecore have some great ones in the new models.

Tesla

Enlightened
Why are you saying it's not popular? I haven't seen any actual figures either way. My take on different user interfaces is: "Different horses for different courses". Semi-auto rifles have far from supplanted lever & bolt-action rifles, and I suspect the same will be true of newer user interfaces vs. others. There will always be something newer/"better" and there will always be people who swear by the older version. We still have manual transmissions along with automatic. Tube guitar amplifiers are still considered superior to solid-state versions by most guitar players with the means to buy them, despite solid-state technology dominating analog circuitry in most other uses.....I'll bet somewhere buggy whips are still being made (probably in much-reduced numbers, though). It depends some on the application. I have several different UI's on lights and find them all useful for certain things....my 2.1 cents...:shrug:

LGT

Enlightened
While I only have one, an IFE2 by nitecore, It's durability has been tested a few times by accidently dropping to concrete at least three times, as well as going through a ten minute dunk test. Still works. Parasitic draw is no problem with a simple quarter turn of the tailcap, I realize this can be quite a chore, but I consider it to be a minor task. The ability to have the exact lumens needed with a twist of the fingers, to me, is an ideal light.

Last edited:

nickso

Newly Enlightened
I have the SRT-5 and SRT-7 and love them both. Have had the 5 the longest and this light has become my go to light. The control rings on both are very smooth.

This makes 3 control ring lights that I have.

But they are not mounted to a weapon and my life does not depend on them.

nightshade

Enlightened
I own two JetBeam RRT-01 lights and one SWM VR11 and for general, around the house usage they are the bee's knees. For dirty environments the ring can become inoperable due to small particles. Including beach sand, my nephew discovered that flaw.