is this bad quailty control?

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i have 2 lights excat the same and on low one measure like 1 lumen and the other like .4 lumens is this bad quality?

hamhanded

Enlightened
I don't think so. Flux binning becomes much more apparent at low current. The flashlight manufacturer is ordering LEDs and probably accepts a wide range of flux bins, or had no availability of preferred bins mid-run and took something else instead of just stopping production entirely.

Unless you paid for top dollar exotic lights, I'd expect a manufacturer to favor continued production over nearly identical LEDs.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I don't think so. Flux binning becomes much more apparent at low current. The flashlight manufacturer is ordering LEDs and probably accepts a wide range of flux bins, or had no availability of preferred bins mid-run and took something else instead of just stopping production entirely.

Unless you paid for top dollar exotic lights, I'd expect a manufacturer to favor continued production over nearly identical LEDs.
I agree. LEDs get really nonlinear at low current.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i wonder which one i should carry . my bigest care is runtime per lumen

Monocrom

Flashaholic
If half a lumen is something useful on a regular basis to you, choice becomes easy based on your answer.