Magnetic Control Ring Popularity

Sarlix

Enlightened
I like the idea of them, but the control ring seems like it could cause too many potential problems, as the above poster mentions.

That's why I like the Nitecore D10 so much - continuously variable interface in a clicky format. Not sure why more lights haven't done this.

creyc

Enlightened
Control rings are my favorite interface, although I agree for a dirty environment a rubber booted clicky is probably best, even over a twisty.

I also have that Nitecore (well actually the D11 but same interface) and it's no where near as quick and intuitive as my RRT-01, for example.

NorthernStar

Enlightened
The magnetic control ring user interface is my favorite!:)

There might be some disadvantages with it (like how to do maintenance work lubrication on it) but the simplicity of using it and it´s ability to give the user the choice of always start the flashlight on the lowest or the highest or at strobe mode (or what ever one prefers to start with), or simply put- giving one the choice of instant access to prefered mode right from the start without cycling through a serie of other modes makes this to my favourite.I wish that other manufacturers than Nitecore and Sunwayman will follow this example and start to use the magnetic control ring ui more and more.

creyc

Enlightened
The magnetic control ring user interface is my favorite!:)

There might be some disadvantages with it (like how to do maintenance work lubrication on it) but the simplicity of using it and it´s ability to give the user the choice of always start the flashlight on the lowest or the highest or at strobe mode (or what ever one prefers to start with), or simply put- giving one the choice of instant access to prefered mode right from the start without cycling through a serie of other modes makes this to my favourite.I wish that other manufacturers than Nitecore and Sunwayman will follow this example and start to use the magnetic control ring ui more and more.

Well, Jetbeam does as well.

Gatsby

Enlightened
I like the idea of them, but the control ring seems like it could cause too many potential problems, as the above poster mentions.

That's why I like the Nitecore D10 so much - continuously variable interface in a clicky format. Not sure why more lights haven't done this.

If Nitecore had made the mid mode with a memory I would still have mine - liked starting in low or high but the switch to middle always having to ramp up or down was irritating. I still like the old HDS/Novatac/Arc4 UI that has stood the test of time for me at least better than anything else. 4 levels - all relatively accessible from the others. I can understand that part of my affection may be that i've been using that interface since the Arc4 - so nearly a decade of using that particular UI (with only minor modifications over the years). So the HDS Rotary is probably my ideal light to use a rotary dial - backlog and availability notwithstanding.

I will likely pickup a control ring light to check it out. I have a Saint Minimus that I like fairly well - I do like it better than my Zebralight although the ZL is smaller I do sometimes turn it on high by mistake which in the wilderness can be unpleasant for those around you... The ZL is, for the cost however, a better light all around.

Lou Minescence

Flashlight Enthusiast
All the posts about control ring lights are very similar. Either you love or hate it. I think it is great. I twist the control ring until the background light starts to fade and leave the adjustment there. Not too bright or dim for what I'm doing. Battery life is no problem either.

Sarlix

Enlightened
If Nitecore had made the mid mode with a memory I would still have mine - liked starting in low or high but the switch to middle always having to ramp up or down was irritating.

Hmmm, mine comes on at the last place where I turned it off - low, mid, high or anywhere in between. Maybe you had a defective one?

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
As a few people have pointed out there are some situations which would really exclude use of an infinite ring UI. I can understand and appreciate those situations but there is a 99.95% chance that I will never be in any of them, so my love for the infinite ring UI has no concerns for me. I do have plenty of other lights with different types of UI and function I enjoy using that would work fine in that small percent of situations as well.

I will say though that there are preferences for which IR UI we are talking about. I have has a few of the RRT-01 lights in both Ti and HA Al. The main problem I found with those that just general shifting in a pocket or bag could be enough to turn them on. I had, on several occasions, felt my pocket getting extremely warm or opened my bag to find the light running at a pretty decent level. My problem is with that type of UI that has the IR but no power switch to cutoff accidental turn-ons and to a much smaller percent the parasitic drain.

Hondo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmm, mine comes on at the last place where I turned it off - low, mid, high or anywhere in between. Maybe you had a defective one?

Exactly, the last place you turned it off. He wants to turn on to the mid-level saved even after having used the short cut to low or high, which memorizes low or high and forgets the mid setting you had.

This is how the compact user interface of the Lightflux LF2XT worked. It always turned on to your memorized ramp setting. If you double click to low, then turn off, it still remembers where you had been before using the short cut and turns on there, even if you use the ramp from a shortcut setting. Only ramping from the default setting and then turning off changes the default on setting. It was the perfect refinement to the D10/EX11 ramping interface.

YDrvSlo

Newly Enlightened
Hi, all. Recently purchased an SRT7, mostly because of the control ring. It's my first 'real' light, and the choice was difficult with so many similar lights available in that size and price range. But I figured you can't have too many output options.

Now after a few weeks of daily use I find myself gravitating towards only a few output levels. A low level, a medium level, or full output. I dont' find myself saying, oops not quite that much, or oops that's not quite enough. So I guess all the variability has been a bit lost on me.

When it comes time for my next light (and that time will come! :thumbsup:), I'll likely go with a twisty-head instead of a magnetic ring.

Thanks!

recDNA

Flashaholic
I love mine. It allows me just the right output for whatever I'm doing in the lab.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

snakyjake

Enlightened
So I guess all the variability has been a bit lost on me...I'll likely go with a twisty-head instead of a magnetic ring.

Magnetic control ring does not equal infinite variability. You can have control rings that have off, low, med, high.

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast
The idea of it had appeal to me... being able to dial in a precise amount of light, with infinite variability. So I bought a SWM V11R neutral tint.

The light is of good quality and well made but I quickly discovered that I had no need for infinite variability and that for the most part, a good low, medium, and high covered my needs perfectly. The light had a bit more bulk than I prefer in my pocket for an EDC, as well.

Clicking to get to a few useful modes (especially a thumb operated side switch! a la Zebralight) works so much more quickly and easily for me. In contrast, I found the control ring to be cool, gimmicky, and comparatively fiddly with one handed operation to change levels vs. a thumb operated side click. I also prefer less bulk and a simpler profile, so the bulkiness of this light as compared with some other single 16340/14500 lights was a negative for me. I haven't used the light enough to run into the reported reliability problems or the parasitic drain concern.

Nice light, though. Alas, my virtually brand new V11R sits in the drawer with 20 or so other little used lights. In hindsight, I probably should have passed on the control ring featured light.

Last edited:

turkeylord

Enlightened
I posted this in another thread...

Loving my H600w :thumbsup:

UI is awesome. I didn't expect to like a electronic switch UI when I started on this forum, but I've seen the light (pun intended). The control ring lights I expected to love, are just too cumbersome to use IMO. With two different controls on opposite ends of the flashlight it's just to much shuffling around in my hand to get the output I want. If someone came out with a control head (instead of ring) with a stand-by (off) detent I might consider one again. Think of it like an electronic Peak QTC + detents + blinky modes off the top or bottom end of the ramp. Or essentially like your typical rotary household dimmer + blinkys.

http://www.goodmart.com/images/prodimages/lutron/rotary_white.jpg

Image tags removed see Rule #3 Do not Hot Link images. Please host on an image site, Imageshack or similar and repost – Thanks Norm

Maybe another way to put it would be a Nitecore SRT type light, with the addition of a standby detent instead of a tail switch.

Last edited by a moderator:

pzmobile

Newly Enlightened
I have a rrt-0. It's very nice. But I do know its efficiency is not so good on low lumen.

looman

Enlightened
control rings are all well and good but not when on a rifle :-(

Having to break position to adjust is PITA. Control rings are OK if you are hand holding and even then my RRT-1 can be fussy as the ring is very "relaxed" and the indentations are not positive enough so you touch it and it rotates off position selected or you sail past your desired selection often - for me - strobing what I am pointing the torch at.

Olights dimmer tape switch is a better idea and Klarus have the dual button option too allowing you to cycle through outputs.

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would agree there are certain situations where a control ring is not appropriate. Mounted on a rifle is one. Tactical use would be another. For military, armed forces, police and even security guard type work there are better alternatives when you just need a light that turns to so you can see.

I think a control ring light should be considered a general purpose light as that is where it is perfect. Something to EDC for light in your pocket, around the house, camping, in the car, non-LEO work use, etc. In these areas the light will excel.

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
I absolutely love my Jetbeam RRT-0 (as others have also mentioned in this thread). The RRT-0, along with a custom leather holster, and re-chargeable 123A batteries, has almost "cured" me of being a flash-o-holic! I always have a flashlight on me, ready to use, and it is always the brightness I need. Do not know if there is anything better than the RRT-0, because I stopped looking for new lights after I discovered my RRT-0. I have the "premium S2" model. How long have I had this light? Three years, 5 years? it seems like forever. While the light is awesome, it is not "just" the light, it's the leather belt holster (used to be called a "hole-ster, made by matt geissal), and re-chargeable batteries.

marinemaster

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had the SF U2 with the variable ring for a while. I did not use it much. Yes it was totally cool but in practice I was using 2 or 3 levels. There was a difference in the levels output but not enough to make me use all 6 levels it had. I used my SF E2L way more often. If SF made the U2 say a 3 level light I think it would have been more useful. I ended up selling mine.