Malkoff M31

the vme head is very compact. there is no space for the high / low ring. on the MDC heads the mini internal dropin is glued inside the head. there is no ring because there is no room for it.

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can I ask if that low low on initial turn on is low enough for a late night walk to the bathroom without overwhelming the eyes?
It is supposed to be 0.3lm which would be good to use at night to get around without messing with your night eyes. Some say their low low is how it should be, then others like myself that are getting around 2lm or so. You could still use it but it might seem fairly bright if you just got up out of sleep. overall either wont be like waking up to a 40-60w bathroom light, etc.

by the way, congrats on picking one up. I hope/think you will enjoy it. I'd definitely be ok with a warm variant. been playing around a little with my M61W and it is nice around the house and easy on the eyes.

Does anyone know why a hi/lo ring (or something equivalent) isn't offered for the VME head?

I assume it has to do with the design of the VME head, but since I've never seen a VME head in person, I don't really know how it works.

--flatline

The design and compactness as Marco stated is what keeps us without. I'm sure a design change might be able to allow for a miniature h/l ring.

This is an MDC head but the VME will look similar. As you can see it doesn't have the clearance around the module to allow for the h/l spring/resistor. It can be done but we would lose its compactness. MDC definitely can't be done as is because the module is is sealed into the head or pressed in, not sure which, but it doesn't come out. i'm sure something could be figured out, but I am not sure if we will ever see it from Gene; hard to say.
07gZPKy.jpg

Last edited:

Greenbean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks INFRNL,

Yeah I'm looking forward to having it. [emoji41]

I took a pic of these three to show that basically the VME head is a "wrap" for any M30/M31/M60/M61/M91 module with the smaller diameter reflector assembly. Only room for the module itself. Nice and compact.

d87da411fb05044e59942057bd61c2d5.jpg

Last edited:

Greenbean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh wow,

I have to share this...

I was playing around with the module I just put in the VME for the above photo. The module is an old one I usually keep in a G2, it's a M61L HCRI2, I decided to see if it would work with two Eneloops and it sure does but at a super low output. (As in you can look directly into it and study the LED kind of low).

So I took a shot with it next to one of my favorite lights, my Zebralight SC62d which is seen on the lowest mode. (.01L)

Now the tins are different as the ZL has a HCRI Phillips LED and it's honestly maybe a waste to use an M61 at 3V but I'm looking forward to the moonlight mode to see how it compares.

2eaf3d1083afdf4314d956bbca9f7112.jpg

Last edited:

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very Nice Greenbean and hopefully flatline now has a good idea of why the MDC/VME does not allow for high/low ring.

I think woodswalker has done something along the lines as you are showing with low output from eneloops. I think some of those setups also allow for really good runtime.

Glad you are playing around a bit, it can be fun and addictive

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
Very Nice Greenbean and hopefully flatline now has a good idea of why the MDC/VME does not allow for high/low ring.

I think woodswalker has done something along the lines as you are showing with low output from eneloops. I think some of those setups also allow for really good runtime.

Glad you are playing around a bit, it can be fun and addictive

Running a test for the M31W over on the junkie thread right now. I can say running an unmodified M31W or M31L using 1XAA the times are longer by a wide wide margin using an Alky and bet it would be even more so using an Lithium primary AA. I think the higher voltage (yet still below the regulation threshold) keeps the low mode just grinding down for a long long time. Here is one for an AA Alky.

wYIuyXh.png

Had this saved in my Imgur. I think it was for the remaining which was considered no longer useful by my standards aka runtime beyond the 46 hours but I didn't label the image so going by memory.

mSY08vI.png

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very Nice Woods! Looks like the M series probably as well as other lower output modules will provide workable light for a very long time. I saw one of your posts in the junkie thread as well:thumbsup:

I will have to try and remember some of this stuff for my modules, when i want to start playing around like this. Thanks!

Greenbean

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is a special place in my heart for lights and/or modules that can be "Battery Vampires" just sucking every last bit of juice out of them.

Makes me feel better before recycling cells in the case where I might not be running a rechargeable one.

Appreciate the testing and time your putting into these....

Fun indeed to see where all the info graphs out...

Last edited:

Greenbean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm, if you search the term Battery Vampire you'll see loads of results as it's a term we throw around for those lights that can run good low outputs out of regulation I believe until the batteries are just DONE!

Obviously not for rechargeable though.

I have a Fenix E01, it's a great one.

I'll try and link to it...

Found it,

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...can-feed-your-quot-dead-quot-cells-to-listing

Last edited:

KBobAries

Enlightened
Does anyone know where the current M31 lies on the Kelvin scale? The M31L(W) is listed at 3000K but the website makes no mention for the M31L.

...I also used to put an M31L in an MDX head and modified the H/L ring, much better option for me at the expense of the added bulk/weight...

Care to share any info regarding how well the M31L performed with the H/L ring? I have an MD1 and ring not currently being used and am seriously considering an M31L. Did you mod the ring because it wouldn't function properly or to experiment?

...I would love to see an MDC with H/L(or VME with H/L), skipping the 3 modes option that we currently have from MDC lights...

MDC VME H/L would be fantastic!

Dan

RI Chevy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I believe if you try to use the HL ring with M31, you have to start the light in a H mode for the module to light up. Once started, you should be able to switch to L mode.
But I believe you always have to start in H mode.

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does anyone know where the current M31 lies on the Kelvin scale? The M31L(W) is listed at 3000K but the website makes no mention for the M31L.

Care to share any info regarding how well the M31L performed with the H/L ring? I have an MD1 and ring not currently being used and am seriously considering an M31L. Did you mod the ring because it wouldn't function properly or to experiment?

MDC VME H/L would be fantastic!

Dan

M31 should be at the typical 6200 mark for Malkoff. I do not currently have one; so i cannot be certain but I am pretty sure. The best it could be would be 5700k but I doubt it.

I currently only have a M31L 219B(rated for around 80lm). Mine puts out around 110lm. Using 1 eneloop pro AA, it put out around 55lm. EDIT: (I lied, I should also have an M31W running around too)
Depending on what you want to do, there are some options. As i said below to Chevy, low mode can be set to your desire by changing the resistor on the h/l ring. I think runtime would still be very good using M31 variant in MDX with h/l. You also need to decide if you want the added bulk of MD/MDX on a M31.

I changed the resistor to get it to work properly and i was working on an experiment. Rather than having 2 of the same modules used for primaries/AA. I made it so high mode gave me primary/3v output, but wanted low mode to represent output of AA which is approx half the output.

I think it is a great option and using in a MD host is how i prefer to use the M31 series. This is because i am just not a fan of single mode lights.

Hope this helps

I believe if you try to use the HL ring with M31, you have to start the light in a H mode for the module to light up. Once started, you should be able to switch to L mode.
But I believe you always have to start in H mode.
This is how it will behave using a factory H/L ring. A minimum of a 50ohm resistor will get the h/l ring to function properly using a M31 variant. However depending on what you want the low mode output to be determines what resistor value you actually want to use.

Last edited:

KBobAries

Enlightened
I bought a used Malkoff that has M31L 219B. All the current offerings on Illumn.com are V2. Does anyone know if all 219s were strictly from Illumn or did Gene sell any of these directly? I'm assuming that mine would be V1 although it isn't marked as such. Anyone have official specs for 219B and what the differences are between it and the V2?

Thanks,

Dan

archimedes

Flashaholic
Thanks arch. :)

Certainly .... I think that the "219" series used an N219A emitter, while the "219B-V2" series uses an N219B emitter.

I might guess that the drive currents (for each respective variant) could be the same, but I do not know that for certain.

Since these emitters differ slightly in efficiency, I would expect (albeit relatively limited) changes in output and/or runtime.

The specific emitter bin was also not identical, so small differences in tint also are associated with each of these limited runs.

archimedes

Flashaholic
Perhaps I misunderstood ... are you asking about the difference between the "219" series and the "219B" series, or the "219B" series and the "219B-V2" series ?