Malkoff m61 vs Elzetta Bravo

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
Yeah, it was 325. When I asked Gene about it, he said that they had been making incremental increases in output over a period of time. They thought this most recent increase was worth advertising. The change happened within the last month or so, I believe.

The cost in run time amounts to 15 minutes of regulated output. It's now running at 1.25 hours instead of 1.5.

Lots of my Malkoff Drop-ins appear brighter than other lights of similar lumen ratings. Runtimes are also always spot on or better.

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
I just got my m61, and I love it. The quality is top end. The 425 lumen high seems brighter than 425 lumens.

I ran it on high while it was tailstanding for 20-30 mins, and it was hot, much more than I would expect out of 425 lumens.

So my question is, is it normal for it to get hot like that on high? Is the 425 lumens really more than 425 lumens? Or are other manufacturers over inflating their lumen outputs?

Yes most of my light of that size will get hot running that bright if left alone without airflow or a heat sink like my hand. Funny thing is I have ran lights... small ones with 1000 or more lumens in very cold winter trail running... sometimes pushing the singles and they hardly get as warm. Environment matters.

TA_ls1

Enlightened
Ok thanks guys, that makes sense. Man I love the light. I like the simplicity, since I really only need the two modes, and I like the flexibility and reliability. I can't wait to compare it to my other lights outdoors.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
As said above, Malkoff MD2 for the ability to take 18mm cells.

Hard to go with any of them but to set your expectations, M61 does not make it to 100m or 200m - it's a short to medium range light at best. I know what the ad says but it's kind of 40m-50m device at best.

I was really impressed with the M61HOT, it's a pocket rocket. A punch of lumens in a very small MD2 sized package. It's also very thirsty. You will go through a 18650 cells in no time at all. Seems like 1 hour.

No experience with latest-greatest M61 but I like my older one. The lumens are lower but so is the drain. 600 mAh versus 800 mAh current.

I am sure you made the right choice, M61 is the ultimate one size fits all, from reading a close-up book (on low mode) to extended distances outdoors. Can't do that with M61T, M61HOT or such, they will drill a hole in it, even on low.

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Glad the op is happy with his choice. I think it was a good one...going malkoff over elzetta.

Just hope you are strong willed because Malkoff world can get you into trouble.... Malkoff anonymous

I haven't gotten any of the new modules, so I'm not sure how the slightly higher output weights out in terms of runtime. Is it worth the expense of lost runtime...that depends on the individual.

100lm increase is just a slight improvement to the eye. Malkoff is usually pretty close to rated output but also sometimes under rated. They can put out a bit more than rated but the eye won't see the difference. If you get a module that is slightly higher than rated, current draw will also be higher

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
Glad the op is happy with his choice. I think it was a good one...going malkoff over elzetta.

Just hope you are strong willed because Malkoff world can get you into trouble.... Malkoff anonymous

I haven't gotten any of the new modules, so I'm not sure how the slightly higher output weights out in terms of runtime. Is it worth the expense of lost runtime...that depends on the individual.

100lm increase is just a slight improvement to the eye. Malkoff is usually pretty close to rated output but also sometimes under rated. They can put out a bit more than rated but the eye won't see the difference. If you get a module that is slightly higher than rated, current draw will also be higher

The new 425 lumen module is a gem, just be cognizant that it will run very hot @ ~6v on two primaries. This is an 18650 light all the way. A buddy of mine recently got one on the flash sale. Working under his wife's Honda, the light got so hot he couldn't handle it. I gave him an 18650 and a charger so he could work around the 6v problem.

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast
I forgot to comment on heat.

I know during runtime testing the m61 modules get pretty warm and the high output lights get scolding hot.

This is what happens when lights are over driven and why i have found the lower output lights to be more desirable.

With your info, i can say that i will stick with the generation i already have

Although, my zebra never gets excessively hot and it puts out in the 1100lm range in a tiny form and has very good efficiency

IDK, but definitely do not like it when lights get too hot

Last edited:

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
The new 425 lumen module is a gem, just be cognizant that it will run very hot @ ~6v on two primaries. This is an 18650 light all the way. A buddy of mine recently got one on the flash sale. Working under his wife's Honda, the light got so hot he couldn't handle it. I gave him an 18650 and a charger so he could work around the 6v problem.

Interesting, sounds like the current should be lower running off 2x18650 cells? Maybe potentially getting less hot or is it strictly the heat emitted by the 425 lumen module issue?

TA_ls1

Enlightened
After reading about the heat, I am worried, esecially with the 2 x CR123s. What if I want to use it as a weapon light? Then I pretty much have to use CR123s, but with the heat issue, should I even use CR123s? Is it safe?

Last edited:
After reading about the heat, I am worried, esecially with the 2 x CR123s. What if I want to use it as a weapon light? Then I pretty much have to use CR123s, but with the heat issue, should I even use CR123s? Is it safe?

I would not worry about the heat generated by the dropin.

malkoff products are extremely well built.

the reliability, robustness and quality of the products has already been tested by numerous groups of people, from simple housekeepers to police officers ...

the guarantee of the products is lifelong and the service to the consumer is the best I have ever had contact with.

if it is a great misfortune to happen some problem, then you will be well attended and the problem will be solved. I'm absolutely sure of that.

as much as I like the elzetta products, I still prefer malkoff.

If you are in doubt buy one of each.

both brands are excellent.

slumber

Flashlight Enthusiast

800mah at 6 volts is not a very high current. The light actually pulls more current at lower voltage. The heat is more a result of prolonged use while tail standing vs handheld use. Most lights with good heat sinking will do that. It won't hurt the light or batteries at all. The heat just needs needs somewhere to go. The body of the light and away from the LED is best. I wouldn't worry about it.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
While it does run noticeably hotter on 6v than 4v, I doubt your weapon mounted application would require the light to run continuously for long enough to notice. The heat is not a new issue. The older m61s also produce more heat on primaries.

Another option is to run unprotected 18650s. No circuitry to fail. I'm no expert in weapon lighting but I trust my unprotected cells when my lights absolutely cannot fail.

TA_ls1

Enlightened
Ok thanks guys, that makes me feel much better. I won't worry about it. I never thought about using unprotected 18650s, but I have several of the Sanyos that Zebralight sells, so I could try that. Right now I'm using an Orbtronic protected 18650 for handheld use.

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast
In an md2 a protected 18650 wont be an issue either since it act like primaries when using a single cell. The light will be way to dim to use before voltage gets low

I am not certain but i am pretty sure if a protection circuit fails the cell still works but acts as if its unprotected

Random Dan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I dropped an Elzetta from about waist high with a protected 16650 and when I picked it up it wouldn't turn on so I removed the cell and it read 0v. I've tried to avoid protected cells since that event.

slumber

Flashlight Enthusiast
I dropped an Elzetta from about waist high with a protected 16650 and when I picked it up it wouldn't turn on so I removed the cell and it read 0v. I've tried to avoid protected cells since that event.

I had the same thing happen with an AW 17670 in a G2X. 0 volts.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
Unprotected cells are advantageous, as long as you are smarter than your battery. You really shouldn't rely on the PCB to defend against over discharge anyway. It doesn't always work.