Malkoff m61 vs Elzetta Bravo

pomah

Newly Enlightened
I had the same thing happen with an AW 17670 in a G2X. 0 volts.

A general rule of thumb when designing protection equipment, may it be a machine stop or over/under current protection, there are usually laws that regulate what should happen if the safety function is "broken". Those usually say that the desired outcome should be the same as if the safety function was activated. So if/when the protection circuit is destroyed for some reason, if designed correctly, it should disable the cell, to protect it.

But this is mostly a guess since I have not checked the CE/UL standards for protection circuits.

Here is some reading from Varta: https://www.varta-storage.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/TA_Large_Lithium_Batteries_en.pdf

Going through parts of IEC 62133 it is hard to find anything specific, it mostly states that the cell should be rendered safe after a "worst case" scenario, I understand that as the cell is going to be non functioning to prevent the user to over-charge or discharge it and harm the user or 3rd party.

Last edited:

Dicaeopolis

Enlightened
I have both and both are great. I do know that dropping a flashlight with an 18650 in it can sometimes ruin the battery. If I could only have one light, it would be the Malkoff MD2 with high/low ring. I have an Elzetta Bravo with the rotary switch and AVS flood head that I use at home at night if I hear a strange noise at night and have to check it out. I like the tailcap button that protrudes if I am activating it with something in other hand. The Malkoff Bodyguard now can fill that role too, or the MD2 with tricap works pretty well. I say get both eventually. I don't normally buy thing from the huge online store named after a river, but sometimes there are Elzettas on there for really good prices.

NH Lumens

Enlightened
Using the bumper O-rings front and back significantly reduces (if not entirely eliminates) cell damage from impact.

Also worth a try is a set of IMR 18350 1100mAh cells - at the higher voltage the head will put our more light and there are no protection circuits to fail in IMR cells.