Man charged with felony assault for shining flashlight at officer

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I had a bad childhood. I got past it.

Actually I had a great child hood. Chicks broke my heart, bully's took my lunch money, but other chicks loved me good and I befriended even badder bully's to beat the crap out of the people that took my lunch money. Some teachers were mean, others were not. Sometimes Christmas morning was disappointing yet I had a good time anyway.
IMG_0370.jpeg

But I still say the wife with the camera escalated the deal and Tony was wrong for zapping the cop as he walked away.

Last edited:

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
The fact that camera escalated the deal is clear signs of the problem in the industry. it is rotten to the core, it needs to be completely overhauled, it's purpose and powers need to be rethought completely. from an agency that enforced laws it turned into mob of tugs with licenses to kill.

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
maybe something has to do with childhood, but mainly ,imo, if you put a certain kind of people in a position of power, they will abuse it to the very limit of possibilities, and having every cop and union defend them for everything they do only empowers abuse, it is not people's issue as much as it is a systematic issue, the system is rotten and corrupt, it will turn d bags even out of decent person over time. i guarantee, if you remove bench trials options for cops, jury trials only, and start paying settlements from union pension funds, things will change overnight, chinise police shoot handful of people a year in a country of 1,5 billion, our cops shoot over 1000 every year, and we are only 330+ mil.
As far as mental health, it seems to me that in many cases criminal behavior and cultural norms are mistaken, or in many cases intentionally misinterpreted for mental issues, same way schools believe if you do not want to have many friends you have mental issues,
Where did you get that statistic, the CCP? :crackup:

samoset

Newly Enlightened
Is this a flashlight forum or a group therapy session?

This thread started out about a news story about a man arrested for flashing a LEO in the face with a flashlight, and suddenly turned into a "pity me I had a crappy childhood" thread. I think this thread is done.
In #54, you said
"Law enforcement is not immune from the general moral decay of our society. "
[...]
"Regarding the OP, the citizen should have called the police and reported a suspicious vehicle."

You stick your flashlight in my face to say the thread is done because any discussion of your verdict on society is off topic.

Three first graders appointed themselves leaders simply because they knew each other. It was clear to me that none of the others knew anybody. If you're 6 and haven't met any of the 15 boys your age who live closest to you, I call that isolation.

Mass shooters seem to post heavily on Facebook. Facebook has been found to be bad for mental health. The more time you spend, the worse it is. Low self-esteem means excessive concern with what others will think. You can't comment to a Facebook friend without putting on a show for countless unseen viewers. Of course it's stressful.

Facebook is like a classroom, where a remark to one person is inflicted on a captive audience of 30. Maybe it will appeal to them, but it could make you unpopular. Consciousness of putting on a show for the critics prevents candid self-expression.

After elementary school, we had to report straight to homerooms, but in elementary school, we gathered outdoors. There, we could be candid and spontaneous because anyone who was bored or otherwise offended could move out of earshot. Friendship improves self-esteem by reducing doubt. Morality becomes important not to stay out of trouble but to deserve friendship.

As schools became centralized, I think kids were deprived of the schoolyard experience where "big brother" wasn't listening. Where's morality? A mass shooter is often somebody desperate for the attention and approval of other facebook posters, and he knows no more about morality than a dog who has never enjoyed the companionship of walking on a leash.

To me, shining a bright light in someone's face is immoral unless it's an unforeseen accident or the victim is in on the fun. Battery is touching someone in a way that could offend a reasonable person. It can include touching something the victim is carrying even if there's no harm but annoyance. I think under the law, battery could include projecting a beam of light. When the man shined his light through the window, he could argue that he didn't know it was offensive, he didn't know the car was occupied, or he had an overriding reason. The second time, there was no reason but to annoy, and the wife's video shows it was intentional. I think a charge of misdemeanor battery would be justified, and a jury could decide. Calling it assault doesn't reflect well on the police department.

Last edited:

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think a charge of misdemeanor battery would be justified, and a jury could decide. Calling it assault doesn't reflect well on the police department.

I disagree...

"Cause" in the first element means that the defendant's action was a substantial factor in causing producing the bodily harm.

"Bodily harm" includes physical pain or injury. It also includes illness or any physical impairment.

"Intent to cause bodily harm" in the second element means that the defendant's mental purpose was to cause bodily harm to another individual. Or the defendant was aware that his conduct was practically certain to cause bodily harm to another individual.

If lighting up another human being with a flashlight/torch is tantamount to bodily harm, then Police have been assaulting everyone for decades, aside from which the device in question is only a DeWalt 110 Lumen torch hardly retina burning stuff 🤣

Screenshot_20230831-161551_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another example of a man in uniform under too much stress, and snapping:

Good thing it was on the ground, in a parking lot, and not in a passenger plane at altitude.

Our mental health non-system needs fixed. Too many people are not getting the care they need. Both government and industry/business need to step up and screen their employees. I know DHS has educational material to help spot stressed coworkers, but I wonder how many Americans really get that training, and implement it.

You're right because nobody is connected with anyone anymore. I've realized myself my mental health has improved a lot by being more connected. What's the point of life if you can't have connections with anyone and you don't have a future?

Poppy

Flashaholic
We didn't get to hear what was said, so we don't know what caused the LEO to believe that he should get out of the car to begin with. It seems to me that he should have been able to resolve the confrontation while still seated.

When Tony flashed his light it appears to me that it was an" Oh F--- You", expression as he walked away.
The LEO's reaction was an over reaction, and expression of POWER, and AUTHORITY.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
All further I can say is that, after what law enforcement has tried to do to me, and what I know of them, including the prison system, and being in the military doing communications and security work, I'll never be able to respect them again for the rest of my life. I know what they are.

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
At the farm, our dobermans used to go for a run each morning, making the rounds of other people's property. Neighbors said they were welcome because they were remarkably well behaved. They behaved because they were socialized, which meant they had learned confidence and human morals. Walking a dog on a leash with a choke chain is a good way to socialize a dog. A leash gives a dog confidence and lets the owner get its attention with a tug. (The choke chain was invented to distribute pressure, not to choke.)

When I was 3, I had to attend nursery school. I hated it. It was 15 kids in a room together, each in solitary confinement. Normally, kids eagerly make friends, but the presence of the guard (not the same young woman every day) intimidated us from speaking. If you can't speak, you can't make friends. Nobody even knew anybody's name.

One morning I hit a boy on the side of the head with a block. He cried. At the other end of the room (away from the kids), the guard looked up, looked at a list, shouted my name in a condemning tone, and returned to what she was doing. That was the only time I heard anyone's name spoken, and she'd mispronounced it.

That's the only time in my life I remember hitting anyone. He stopped crying immediately, as I'd expected. I hadn't been angry. Without a word to me, someone I didn't know was moving in and taking some of the few blocks I was using. Neither of us was socialized. Like an unsocialized dog, I handled the threatening situation as best I could.

In the neighborhood where I lived until I was 9, there were only nine times when anyone spoke to me. The couple next door, old enough to be my grandparents, were the exception. They would say hello in passing. I felt like Casper the Ghost, with everybody pretending I was invisible. Boys seemed to be kept socially isolated, while all the girls in the neighborhood ran around as a gang.

It goes back to Catharine Beecher from Litchfield, CT, born in 1800. From 10 to 15, she attended a girls' school. This qualified her to teach at her own girls' school in her 20s. Later, when public education became mandatory, teachers were almost all male. She said all the jobs should be given to women as affirmative action. She said teaching was child care, and women were naturally better. She said men were no good at instilling character.

Women are better at caring for children up to 2, but that's a master-slave relationship. The "Father Knows Best" TV series showed how the understanding of fathers can be important as kids grow. Jane Wyman was threatened by change from established roles, while Robert Young could see the need to evolve.

As for instilling character, Adolph Hitler announced his intention to retire when he got out of prison in 1923. Meanwhile, fascists in Germany and Italy had discovered the power of the nazi salute. Hitler was slow to catch on. He's hold his hand vertically beside his ear and say, "Hi!"

Hitler's voter base were women, and that salute turned their children into ardent fascists. German fascists claimed the salute was historically German, and Italian faschists claimed it was Italian. No precedent has been found. They were copying America, where from 1892 to 1942, American children were ordered to render that salute as they pledged allegiance to the flag each morning.

With the special salute, the pledge sold tens of thousands of flags for classrooms. The writer didn't name a country because he hoped to repeat his marketing success in other countries. That didn't work out. No other country had turned elementary education over to women, and no other country was so tyrannical as to make children pledge allegiance. Was that the character building Beecher had in mind?

Female teachers tended to prefer girls. The mothers in my neighborhood, having gone through such schools, apparently felt that boys should be ostracized as bad influences, and the fathers and children went along with it.

Kindergarten was worse than nursery: sit still and shut up. First grade was a whole new experience. We'd arrive early and choose sides to play while we waited outside. Two boys assumed leadership because they supported each other. They made a third boy a leader because they disliked him. They'd choose up sides. I was always the last one chosen.

I knew why they didn't like me. They were looking for followers, and I was treacherous. All the boys who weren't leaders would start switching to my side. As the other side dwindled, I'd have to switch sides to keep the game going. Making friends can be different from being a self-appointed leader.

It was before school that I got socialized. Without the intimidating presence of teachers, kids could interact candidly and make friends. Unfortunately, schools were becoming increasingly centralized to provide mor administrative positions. Kids who couldn't walk to schoiol probably didn't get a chance to socialize. A few years ago I read about a local high-school girl who got into trouble because came to school in a coat she wore at work, and in the pocket was a box cutter she used at work. Punishing a girl for possession of a box cutter is like ruling that all dogs must have their teeth pulled. From second through twelfth grade, I carried a knife as sharp as I could get it. I don't know and didn't care how many others had blades. They were tools. We wouldn't have dreamed of harming or threatening anyone because we were socialized.

Facebook use is associated with mass murders. It's bad for mental health. It's like school. You can't say anything to anybody without putting on a show for critics. Naturally, this produces anxiety.

In January of 1976, when I was 28, I began getting accused of one thing after another. Some cops were clearly embarrassed. I'd never had a cop accuse me of anything before. Something had changed. Boomers who had never been socialized were moving into management in law enforcement, the news media, and other areas.

Some have called me the community watch because I like to walk around the area at all hours. If I turned on a light, I'd shine it at the pavement so identification could be mutual. If the guy who was arrested was shining his light into a car, it sounds as if he was pretending he owned the street. That attitude is common if you're not socialized.

pnwoutdoors

Enlightened
All further I can say is that, after what law enforcement has tried to do to me, and what I know of them, including the prison system, and being in the military doing communications and security work, I'll never be able to respect them again for the rest of my life. I know what they are.

Some bad eggs. Some negative effects of the power structure. Some training aspects that enhance certain behaviors. Many elements within the organization that strongly, even mindlessly, protects "the system" and that organization.

Can lead to some very bad outcomes, now and then. Can lead to wholly-unscrupulous mindsets in the wrong type of organizations.

Doesn't mean all the eggs are bad. But it sure leaves a horrid taste in the mouth, in terms of overall respect for the role.

Last edited:

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
A little levity to lighten up the mood a bit:

Last edited:

samoset

Newly Enlightened

Please don't go beating up on yourself. Some lights aren't very bright, but they're still nice. In the early days of LED lights, I had an expensive one the size of a quarter. My BIL loved it so much that he stole it.

It reminds me of the Gospel story where the disciple said, "I've already explained moral decay to this guy 7 times. Is that enough?"
Jesus said, "Try 70 times 7."

I'll try again. You complained about decaying morality. Do you have a dictionary? If you'll shine your little light on your dictionary, you will find that instilling morals is called socialization. A dog can learn morals by walking on a leash. Between humans, genuine friendship can be that leash. It's hard to make friends with Big Brother monitoring.

Sorry, I can't listen to your song. The deprived listen to popular bands as their make-believe friends, and indiscriminate listening augments the moral decay you complained of. Frey and Henley were known for copywriting songs they hadn't written. They went after the dim-bulb market. For example, it doesn't take an especially bright light to see that "Desperado" was written by a woman.

Ronstadt, Deshannon, Midler, Cochran, Nelson, and Holly are examples of morally uplifting artists. They personified the love of friends, which Louis Armstrong sang about in "What a Wonderful World." Nelson was Ronstadt's dinner guest several times when she was 12. Later, she quit college and went to LA, where he helped establish her in the genre he was pioneering. Together, they launched the Eagles in the same genre. "Desperado" was her tribute to Nelson. She gave it to Frey and Henley because, unlike them, she knew some things matter more than fame and fortune.

Richard (mustn't call him ****) Clark knew Lennon and McCartney were talentless male chauvinist pigs. In 1963, he found out how they were suddenly writing songs that were't inferior knock-offs of American hits. In April, 1964, he got Deshannon to confess on TV that she was writing for them. Totally loyal to their imaginary friends, fans ignored her. Lennon-McCartney wrote "Baby's in Black" as their tribute to her. The lyrics are disgusting. They performed it at every show because it was one of the few Beatles songs simple enough for them to perform.

I was undecided about the Rolling Stones until they recorded "Jumping Jack Flashlight."

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry, I can't listen to your song. The deprived listen to popular bands as their make-believe friends, and indiscriminate listening augments the moral decay you complained of. Frey and Henley were known for copywriting songs they hadn't written. They went after the dim-bulb market. For example, it doesn't take an especially bright light to see that "Desperado" was written by a woman.

A dog can learn morals by walking on a leash.

Your words speak all I need to know about you.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
My money is on ET saving us from ourselves. Lately we've been hearing a lot of noise about UFOs, aliens among us, and so forth. I wonder if government is preparing people for the big reveal soon. It might be the aliens gave us the ultimatum. Either you fix the mess you're making, or we take over and fix it for you. Couldn't come soon enough if you ask me. I'm surprised they let it get this bad.
If aliens do exist, they're not stepping in to help us. They're staying far, far away from us. Eventually through war, strife, nuclear warheads and just our own horrendously violent tendencies along with the ability to rationalize every atrocity we commit away.... we're going to end our existence as a species. Those aliens who are monitoring us will then arrive to clean up the mess we left behind and colonize this beautiful planet for themselves with zero resistance from a now dead and violent species.

Considering all the things we do to each other, just imagine what we'd to to an alien race that shares none of our genetics or looks. Oh! All bets would be off! Think about it, one of us invented a little something called a "Flame thrower." For use against other human-beings. AND, other human-beings in charge decided, "Yup! Fantastic invention! Let's use it!" And, they have. Why would any Alien species want to save us from ourselves? Would make zero sense.

EDIT: Clarification.

Last edited: