• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

McLuxIII-T (titanium) **SOLD**

WilsonCQB1911

Enlightened
Re: McLuxIII-T (titanium) Limited Sale

Man I love my PD in chrome and was really wanting one of these. Unfortunately, I don't "need" one and can't quite justify the cost. Congrats to those of you that do get one and do enjoy it! Hopefully you'll love it just as much as I love my PD. These things do look HOT. I'm a bit jealous, I won't lie :sssh: .

McGizmo

Flashaholic

Hi guys,
I believe I have now answered all E-mail orders for these. As it now stands, I should be able to build all that have been ordered with converters on hand. However, depending on any DOA converters that might be in the group, I am getting very close to the end of these on hand. I don't expect more until next month and I do not have an ETA yet. When I can get to building out this last batch ordered, I will build a couple more until I have exhausted my converter inventory. I will update status here at that time. I am processing these orders in the sequence that I receive them. I don't like trying to keep lists of lights I am currently unable to build but given the scarcity and limited run on these, I will add orders for these as I receive them and keep you posted as to the status of remaining sets.

Thanks guys!!

It would be foolish for me to pretend to be objective about these lights but I am real happy with the quality of the machine work that was done on them and I really like the finished product!!! :grin2:

I can never thank Wayne enough for providing the brains within the lights I build but once again, THANKS WAYNE!!! :bow:

Lunarmodule

Enlightened

WilsonCQB1911 said:
Man I love my PD in chrome and was really wanting one of these. Unfortunately, I don't "need" one and can't quite justify the cost. Congrats to those of you that do get one and do enjoy it! Hopefully you'll love it just as much as I love my PD. These things do look HOT. I'm a bit jealous, I won't lie :sssh: .

Aloha and Merry Christmas Don!

I second this fellow's sentiments, I have wanted one since first seeing the teaser pics, but have some reservations and might miss out on this one. I am lukewarm about the defocus in my swirl U-bin PD, and that does stand out in my mind, as does the Ti's limited ability to dissipate heat, barring any sensible increases in drive level. I like the replaceable LED feature, just prefer a WO to a YO. Just nit picking of course but it is a substantial sum. Aesthetically it is a jewel of a light, congrats on a triumph there! I was really hoping for the 27LT to be available before this light as I am such a fan of the HD45 and crave a practical performer like I expect it to be. I am fighting the tremendous pull of this light since I saw the thread last night, nice timing by the way. The one thing that could really sell me is the mass issue, what is the difference in weight between the Ti and a PD? I expect substantial. I thought I would be thrilled to see it finally offered but its kind of bittersweet, regarding Don's excellent comment about an expensive writing tool not contributing to the quality of the handwriting or the content. It seems a likely shelf queen and I have sworn to give those up, yet the appearance of the light is so striking I am hopelessly caught on the fence here. Hmmmm....

MSaxatilus

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hope I'm not too late, but Email sent for one!!!

Thanks Don!

ibcj

Enlightened

Email sent for order. Thanks.

McGizmo

Flashaholic

Hi guys,
Well I am frankly surprised at how quickly these have been requested! I now have orders for units that can't be completed until I get in more converters which will be in Jan but I do not have a firm date yet. In fact, there are now 3 "slots" remaining and then that will be that; no more. If there are any who back out from their requests, I will make any straglers available when I can actually build these lights. As it stands, the list has room for three more folks.

Lunarmodule,

I understand your concerns and reservations. In regards to the joker, what can I say? Thank you Lumileds for lame QC and letting a bunch of new parts enter into the production line which are dimensionally off! :rolleyes: As I stated, there are McR-20-J reflectors now on order and with these, anyone can swap out an original McR-20 in a light with a joker and get the same beam distribution as with a non joker.

In regards to the thermal issue, I have stayed away from Ti for a few years now due to presumed thermal problems but after doing some thermal tests and especially when i started doing some tests with lights running in ambient air and water of the same temp, the results caused me to reconsider all that I had assumed!! More and more, I am begining to get a feel for the relative differences in these lights and how the actual function and effect is not necessarily explained or clear from posted and reported numbers!! The lights submerged in water had significant and measurable reductions in their runtimes due to lower operating temps of the batteries. The surface temps of the lights were basically at ambient due to the water relieving the thermal build up. Water has pretty bad thermal conductivity when compared to metals! I think Ti is 7 ore is it 14 times more conductive than water? :thinking: We all know that our hands will wick away heat from lights that would be a problem if we left the light free standing in air. I could be way off base here but I get the feeling that air is the real bottle neck in the flow of heat away from these lights and with reasonable drive levels, a good thermal path to a Ti shell may be more than adequate and in fact there are some aluminum lights that have weaker thermal paths from the LED to the light surface which are likely harder on the LED than a more resistive shell! :shrug:

In terms of weight, I don't have a stock PD to compare but I just weighed a T with clip and tab compared to an Al PD that also has Ti bezel ring and tab and the difference was a 10% reduction in weight of the Ti light. The Ti is heavier than Al but the T does not have the brass piston which adds weight. On my scale, the PD was 3.3 oz and the T was 3 oz. Both had batteries and the tab mounted on the clip.

The price of these may well dictate that they are shelf queens for many of you. I understand this and feel fortunate that I don't have to concern myself with this issue since I have a couple spares. Of all the lights I own, this one is the one I am most comfortable using and abusing! Heck, now that I have found a shop that will do the machining on Ti that I can't, I don't think I will go back to Al for any of my personal EDC lights! I like Ti!!! Plain and simple!! :nana: I have a crude pocket pen that I made over 10 years ago out of Ti and it has a space pen refill in it. This pen has some random scratches on it but it looks and functions as well today as it did a week after I made it. Yes, the surface finish has lost that show room shine but man, it doesn't hold a candle to the wear and tear and aging I glimpse in the mirror! :green:

Lastly, the 27LT. Yeah, I was hoping that these would have been out in population before now! Unfortunately, a change in plan on the driver and backlogs from Wayne's CM have left me holding all but the brains for these lights in hand and waiting. I have plenty U bin LED's for the 27LT's and the joker is wild with this program as well! At present, I have McR-27L reflectors to mate with the joker LED's but I also have McR-27L-J reflectors on order. I expect the "-J" reflectors to arrive at the end of Jan so it looks like I will be building some 27LT's with options in Feb before I take my break from here. :shrug:

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast

hese are exciting times. This is an exciting light, I haven't actually held one yet but I know The McLuxIII T is special. How do I know? I will tell you. In the past Don has allways been very modest about his lights. He has said in the past that he will let these lights speak for them selves. reciently Don let somthing slip when he said :

"It would be foolish for me to pretend to be objective about these lights but I am real happy with the quality of the machine work that was done on them and I really like the finished product!!!"

This is about as close Don seems to come to active promotion of his special creations.

Anyway I look forward to holding one of these hot (or cool depending on how you look at it) little numbers in my hand.
By all accounts It looks like 2 important things are true about this light. One is that Don has carefully determined the optimal drive level for this light in titanium. There are people who want bright bright bright. For tiny Ti and bright, bright, bright, we have the TiAg Raw. For efficient somewhat bright and cool we have the McLuxIII T. The Ti host is not the best for high output heat generating setups. What we have here is a delicate balance of bright, heat, and power consumption. The other thing which is so important to many is the ability to change the emitter to the upcomming K2. I have a feeling, when some clear advantage to upgrading in the form of more light emitted with less heat generated, that an upgrade to the McluxIII T flaslight will be a simple affair. Anyway My love for titanium grows. The Idea of a Ti flashlight on this scale has been long in comming. I for one am glad it is here.

And God said "Let there be light." But then the program crashed because he was trying to access the 'light' property of a NULL universe pointer. Lets hope the microcode(is there any microde that rns in this flashlight?) that runs in the tiny processors in the McLUX III T dosen't make any calls to the null universe pointer.:crackup:

Yaesumofo