• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

McLuxIII-T (titanium) **SOLD**

tino_ale

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don,

I don't know if you plan to make another run of this McLuxIII-Ti, but if you do so, I would be there, waiting for it.

The fact that the Ti housing can be re-used just by removing a screw and unsoldering two wires makes it a lifetime investment. This Ti housing is virtually unbreakable... And gives the opportunity to change the led/current setting/IC whenever it's needed with no damage at all for the light. THIS is genius.

Really hoping another run of these Ti will take place...

McGizmo

Flashaholic
tino_ale,

As I think I have stated before, I am definitely not through with Ti and on the contrary, hope to be more involved with it in the future. It looks like some of my ideas and designs will be getting to market in the future through real manufacturers and at certainly more reasonable prices due to proper economies of scale and distribution. This will hopefully allow me to play further a field and in small runs of ideas where price is secondary. :shrug:

Future ideas are being considered and explored as time permits but no plans in place yet:

PD-Ti-27L-standing.jpg

tino_ale

Flashlight Enthusiast
Then I wish you all the success you deserve!

I will definetely keep looking for your creations... :goodjob:

Lunarmodule

Enlightened
Hello all,

Charlesn wrote a spectacular review that I wholeheartedly agree with. I also concur with Yaesumofo, especially the point about now knowing the feeling of owning something akin to a Larry Light.

My only gripe is a function of past conditioning, having three PDs I find myself instinctively pressing the solid surface of the tail of the light in an attempt to operate the piston that is not present.

The threads on my Ti are rather stiff but I'm working them as much as I can, hoping to be able to have easy one handed operation down pat at some point. From what I recall was it a Krytox blend of lubricant from the Shoppe that is recommended to help smooth the action?

My primary concern: Don, for the benefit of all, could you please post a detailed instruction set (with pics or illustrations if possible) on how to go about the emitter swap procedure. I purchased the optional heatsink and would like to order one more. I realize it would take a considerable amount of time to prepare but I for one would be hugely appreciative. I am really excited about the upcoming K2s. Also curious about removing (safely and non-destructively) the converter... If I do an emitter swap I might really go visit the back of beyond and send my light to Peter for some unique anodizing, I simply cannot get over the artistry of his work.

When the light was announced, I was kind of leery of the Y0 tint fearing it might be bluish for my tastes, which had drifted towards the W0 region. After receiving the light, I was pleasantly shocked with the appeal of the tint to my eyes, I simply love it, very pure white indeed. It had slipped my mind that one of my first Donware items was a PR-T with DB917 TYOJ, and since it was dormant for a while I had forgotten that particular Y0 was my reference standard for white for a long while.

The only disappointment was the overall luminous flux. In this light, I actually prefer the defocus due to the "joker factor", it compares favorably to my U-bin splash PD. However, all three of my PDs are noticeably brighter overall, especially the dark slate with TYOJ, having a much more pronounced center spot and much higher lux readings: 640 @ 1m on high w/ McLux-T vs 1150 @ 1m w/ TY0J PD (peak measured at beam center). Both were with freshly charged newer R123 cells. Because of the flood beam effect of the defocus, the nature of the beam is certainly pleasing to the eye, because there is virtually no sharply defined hotspot, a nice even spread of light and the gorgeous tint make for great near field task illumination. However, when distance is called for, the T falls far short of the PDs. I realize its not intended to be a throw monster, but compared to the slate PD with the same bin (older slug) its quite obvious the total luminous flux is indeed quite less. I suppose it amounts to nitpicking, because on its own I really enjoy using the light, only when analytically comparing it to its brethren do I find shortcomings. Ones that are entirely the cause of the LED itself. I am reluctant to make an immediate change because I favor the Y0 tint drastically over many of my other lights.

True to what others have reported, this one sees the outside world and I refuse to relegate it to shelf queen status. This may be sacreligious, but I would like to know if you could send a tab and screw my way so I could have the option to tab carry the light as an EDC, in place of my PDs.

In all, the T is a high watermark design, unique and amazing. I consider myself extraordinarily fortunate to finally have one to call my own.

Mahalos, Don

;)

Lunarmodule

Enlightened
Figures.

While I'm plodding away with my long winded post simultaneously Don is posting proto Ti light pics! AWESOME! At least I didnt miss the 27L signup announcement thread or anything like that ;) :poke:

The idea of modularity is just phenominal. The pic seems like a Turbohead fitted to a standard T body, with 27L styling cues on the head. WOW, keep those sneak peeks coming!

;)

ibcj

Enlightened
The head on the PD/T is looking similar to that of the 27LT.

Any info on this one ?

ibcj

Enlightened
LM,

I've been using my T for a month and the threads are much better and allow for one handed operation.

Just ordered the Mc-20-J (joker) reflector from The Shoppe. Hoping to get the beam closer to that of the PD.

Lunarmodule said:
Figures.

While I'm plodding away with my long winded post simultaneously Don is posting proto Ti light pics! AWESOME! At least I didnt miss the 27L signup announcement thread or anything like that ;) :poke:

The idea of modularity is just phenominal. The pic seems like a Turbohead fitted to a standard T body, with 27L styling cues on the head. WOW, keep those sneak peeks coming!

;)

I agree, it's AWESOME looking! Of course, I want one - who doesn't?! The T body differs slightly from the one pictured here - I notice a grooved ring near the bezel whereas the T body has a single ridge. Also, a thicker flange where the clip attaches and a wide ring at the midway point (where the T has uniformly spaced rings). Very subtle differences, but differences nonetheless. Don, these teasers are gonna kill us all. :laughing:

Last edited:

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Don ... you're killing me :D :whoopin:
I *love* it when you show off your protos ... :thumbsup: ... triples my saliva production (just in case anybody wanted to know this appealing detail).
bernie

cy

Flashaholic
new design looks interesting but I like the smaller form factor of T.

just can't see me EDC'ing anything larger, should give much better throw

pianoman

Enlightened
For the record...Awesome...

Waiting patiently for whatever form the 27LT comes in......

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Hi guys,
Until after SHOT, I need to disappear and I won't be responding to any e-mails about the lights shown above so please don't waste your time sending one! :eek:

These are not for sale at present and there are just a few of them. Real quick...

The head is based on the 27LT and it has two o-rings; no modularity with the PD or T as a result. Not only is this light larger than the T, it is significantly heavier!! Heavy walls in the head and the power pack is a single CR123 with Ti piston and sleeve. These have the same heat sink/ converter set up as the T's so I will be able to try out some of the new LED's later with these hosts. I have some new proto heat sinks I made for the K2 for instance that I can use to test the production K2's once they are out. Not holding my breath on this on though...

I just got the Ti bezel ring shipment in but won't open the sales thread until I either finish promised SHOT related projects of until after the show itself. Sorry but just not enough time right now.

:wave:

Lunar,

After SHOT I will try to accomodate your request on the how to; of heat sink exchange.

Frenchyled

Flashaholic*
Dooooooonnnnnnnnnnn :)

You have no right to make envie to us like this ;)
I Neeeeddddddd this Head for my TI McLux III.........wonderful work !!!!

Please don't go to MAUI wihtout selling us this nice TI head, please, please, please ;)

pianoman

Enlightened
Frenchy... you are time zone delayed with the newest and (most exciting) creations...Its always getting better....the closest approximation of perfection keeps moving....